Ugly Zoas

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Is it just my tank or does anyone else find that UGLY zoa polyps grow like wild fire & pretty ones grow very slow?? :ponder2:
Ugly ones must be healthy or else they wouldn't be multiplying so fast, but....
I'm always wondering what to do with a LR covered in dull colored zoas :dunno:
I put a rock totally covered in brown zoas in my refugium & now I'm thinking that was a stupid thing to do. They don't look very happy down there. :( UUGGHH!! Any suggestions?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yep, same here. My candy apple red ones grow super slow. Don't really have an answer for you, just agreeing with the philosophy!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Why Zoas? The toxic things in my tank that I don't want to mess with :( I feel bad to wag them back to a LFS and ask them to trade me for just another piece of live rock. I'm sure they don't want to deal with them either.
I don't know how to safely get rid of them. Like not cause them to give off dangerous stuff.
Not like I like to kill anything anyway. The large rock in my refugium has me a bit worried cause those zoas that nearly cover it might die off? :dunno: that would be a lot of toxic die off :eek:

reefle

I actually have the same problem with a rather large rock right now. I will be following everyone's responses closely

reefer gladness

I wouldn't hesitate to try and sell something unwanted back to an LFS or trade to another reefer. If they don't want it they can say no.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Just set up another tank.

steve
:nono: that's not going to happen...
I would like for them to just be gone without nuking my tank or my whole 10 acres of land.
I think I will ask at the LFS, seems like the most humane thought I've had so far.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yep, give them or sell them to the LFS! Or trade them for a piece of live rock.

kyle4201

The less you want the more it grows. I think its a fundamental law of physics.

steve

Every day when I get home I tell my flat worms, bristle worms and Aipastasia how awesome they are and I cant wait till there are millions of them in my tank. Then I go to all my corals and I curse them and hate them and tell them Im going to pull them any day!!!

Im hoping this reverse thinking/treatment
will work, lollol

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Every day when I get home I tell my flat worms, bristle worms and Aipastasia how awesome they are and I cant wait till there are millions of them in my tank. Then I go to all my corals and I curse them and hate them and tell them Im going to pull them any day!!!

Im hoping this reverse thinking/treatment
will work, lollol

Way to go Dr. Phil!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Yep, give them or sell them to the LFS! Or trade them for a piece of live rock.
Well, that didn't work too well :(
My (10 min drive to) Local Pet Shop that has FOWLR...no corals to speak of & he really has no place with light needed for corals. So, the next LFS to ask is a 4hour round trip :(
I'm back to evil thoughts of tossing it out into the snow :cry1:
There's not an easy fix for this :(

kyle4201

Well, that didn't work too well :(
My (10 min drive to) Local Pet Shop that has FOWLR...no corals to speak of & he really has no place with light needed for corals. So, the next LFS to ask is a 4hour round trip :(
I'm back to evil thoughts of tossing it out into the snow :cry1:
There's not an easy fix for this :(

We all kill things we dont want in our tank D, worms, bad pods, aipastasia, ect. just have to pick your battles,, I guess as long as you didnt name them and you think of them as a nuisance ,, chuck em. You wouldnt hesitate if they were bad for your tank, and it seams they could be. :)

Tradewinds

We all kill things we dont want in our tank D, worms, bad pods, aipastasia, ect. just have to pick your battles,, I guess as long as you didnt name them and you think of them as a nuisance ,, chuck em. You wouldnt hesitate if they were bad for your tank, and it seams they could be. :)

+1

It's no different than getting rid of the weeds in your garden. If you throw them out in the snow make sure your dogs, if you have any, don't lick the rock.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have some pretty ones that grow to plague proportions. And I think every reefer in central Arkansas has them now, too. I do agree that the most beautiful ones are the slowest growers.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I have a tiny bunch of bright green eyed ones on that rock....think I'm going to try to chisel them off, cut my LR losses (it was a pretty rock :( ) and just buy another rock to take it's place.
I need to get this done before my pods get here. That way I don't throw out my pods with that rock.
And then there's that little Emerald Crab, Uuugggghhh.....not sure I'll be able to talk him into getting out of the rock either. He resides in a hole in the ugly zoa rock :(

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hey Diana - you have adjustable LEDs, have you tried turning up the blues a few more percent and see if you get a better color out of your corals?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hey Diana - you have adjustable LEDs, have you tried turning up the blues a few more percent and see if you get a better color out of your corals?
Well, I wish I had that channel thing more figured out than I do....I need to work on that.
I've adjusted them with the timer knobs but I haven't figured out which channel controls which color.
I like the looks of my tank with them all on even percentage, at sunset/sunrise especially. But I doubt that's a good light percentage to make my corals happy. What I like may not be what they need?

ziggy

Well, I wish I had that channel thing more figured out than I do....I need to work on that.
I've adjusted them with the timer knobs but I haven't figured out which channel controls which color.
I like the looks of my tank with them all on even percentage, at sunset/sunrise especially. But I doubt that's a good light percentage to make my corals happy. What I like may not be what they need?

:ofr: Your the landlord Diana :bluemad:

They'll take what you give them :whip:

And they better like it to! :hammerhea

Steve L

I have the same problem with a couple of black and gold chromis. I took them from my daughter's tank a few months back and put them in my reef tank. Now they are paired up, the female is undermining my rock building nests and they chase every other fish in the tank including my yellow tang. On top of that they refuse to get near any kind of fish trap I put in the tank and hide deep in the rocks when a net gets anywhere near the water. I'm about ready to catch them with a hook and line and if I can actually catch them I will flush the little boogers with a smile on my face. I bought a beautiful flame angel not long ago that barely comes out because the chromis chase him everywhere.

My LFS would get a good laugh if I showed up with these things.