Ugly Zoas

ziggy

I have the same problem with a couple of black and gold chromis. I took them from my daughter's tank a few months back and put them in my reef tank. Now they are paired up, the female is undermining my rock building nests and they chase every other fish in the tank including my yellow tang. On top of that they refuse to get near any kind of fish trap I put in the tank and hide deep in the rocks when a net gets anywhere near the water. I'm about ready to catch them with a hook and line and if I can actually catch them I will flush the little boogers with a smile on my face. I bought a beautiful flame angel not long ago that barely comes out because the chromis chase him everywhere.

My LFS would get a good laugh if I showed up with these things.

I love it :surrender:

It's like the fish are the ones in control of the insane assylum

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Diana - to figure out what channel controlled what I did this.set channels 2, 3 and 4 to 0% and see what color is on, now you know what color channel 1 is. Set Channel 1 to zero percent and turn set channel 2 to 50%, now you know what color channel 2 is. Repeat for the rest of the channels. I have a little stickie next to my Typhoon that tells me which channels are blue and which channels are white.

LSUFireGal

Find a near by reefer with angel fish and have them clean that rock for you. ;) my guys would have it clean in one day. Lol

DaveK

While the zoas you have may not be the most spectacular ones out there, they seem to be doing well. Don't be in too big a rush to get rid of them. If you want to get rid of some of them, post some messages along the line of "free to good home, pick up preferred" here, and on any local reef forums around. Just because you don't want them doesn't mean others do not. Like they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

While I wouldn't recommend this as a method of zoa control, years ago I had a batfish that devoured several rocks covered with brown and green brown zoas. Yea the zoas are supposed to have a powerful toxin in them, but it didn't seem to bother the batfish at all.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
While the zoas you have may not be the most spectacular ones out there, they seem to be doing well. Don't be in too big a rush to get rid of them. If you want to get rid of some of them, post some messages along the line of "free to good home, pick up preferred" here, and on any local reef forums around. Just because you don't want them doesn't mean others do not. Like they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

While I wouldn't recommend this as a method of zoa control, years ago I had a batfish that devoured several rocks covered with brown and green brown zoas. Yea the zoas are supposed to have a powerful toxin in them, but it didn't seem to bother the batfish at all.

My problem is, I moved them down into the refugium and they really don't look happy down there....
But NOW, (today) my pod order came in & I turned loose 1,0000 pods in there & I'm pretty sure most of them will take up residence in the UGLY ZOA rock. I'm feeling stuck with it now. :smirk:

kyle4201

Grab the ugly rock, shake the heck out of it, pitch it. Ur obviously not happy with it & I hate to see you unhappy. Ur not going to rest easy till its gone.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
That rock has $45. worth of pods living in it now. And I need them to stay in my system.
Maybe I will research non-reef safe fish that eat zoa polyps :idea:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Maybe I will research non-reef safe fish that eat zoa polyps :idea:

Forget THAT! I don't want another fish so getting one is a bad idea.
Just going to let the pods eat the ugly zoas as they die off. I'll think of it as a long term project.
I'll update when they are starting to disappear. :yup:

ziggy

Forget THAT! I don't want another fish so getting one is a bad idea.
Just going to let the pods eat the ugly zoas as they die off. I'll think of it as a long term project.
I'll update when they are starting to disappear. :yup:

Does your LFS know you well where you might bring the rock to them for placement with some hungry fish for a few days?

After that you get your rock back.

kyle4201

ummm, did you try turning the rock over so the bad guys are on the bottom in the sand, That should kill them then the pods will eat them and every1 is happy. :)

LSUFireGal

I know this is kind of late but a local reefer just borrowed my majano wand to get rid of some in his tank. He said as long as you just take out a few at a time the toxins won't be a problem.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I put the rock that was covered in ugly brown zoas into my new refugium. It's still in there...looks to be less of the zoas now. I was afraid they might all die off & cause my tank to crash but so far they haven't.
I think zoas (they ugly ones anyway) are hard to kill. They do look better in the sump than in my main tank tho!
I'm not into zapping them with a majano wand....that sounds very dangerous. :rocket: