Ugly Tank Contest!

seafansar

Haha...none of those pictures compare to how my 125 gallon looked several months ago! The hair algae was so long the poor fish were getting stuck in it! I was very embarrassed about it, so I didn't take many pictures. Here's the only ones I could find. You can see we fish trap in the one. Right after the picture was taken we caught all the fish the removed all the rock. We manually removed a lot of the algae and the tank ran for a while without fish (we were treating for an ich outbreak at the same time!).

P4170598.jpg

P4160596.jpg

That was about 7 months ago. All is well now. :rolleyes:

Stacef

Thanks Greg! I don't know if that's a compliment, but I know I could use the prize! Hahaha. Thanks again :D

The sad part is... the tanks CLEAN there, just got done trimming, and cleaning the glass for the second time that day..

Do we have to enter our pics somewhere like the gallery to enter? Or just in this thread?

cindyp

Here's my entry, the picture doesn't do the algae it's justice.... I will post up close ups to just to show it.. :) It looks this "good" because I rip the HA off daily, and scrub the front glass twice a day..maybe I'll leave it for a few days and enter again , lol :D

caps2001.jpg

caps2002.jpg

caps2003.jpg

its anything but ugly .I think its beautiful I am just starting out and my tank is only 29 gallons and it dosent even have water in it because I am a fraid 29 gallons is too small.I have always been a fish person and did the whole tropical thing for years and would love to have a tank as nice as yours but I am starting to chicken before I've even gotton started all because of the tank size:smirk: if I could I would take it back and get a55 gallon but I can't its too late for that.what would you do? any input would be wonderful maybe someday I can build a tank as pretty as yours. thanks cindy

Frankie

RS STAFF
Haha...none of those pictures compare to how my 125 gallon looked several months ago! The hair algae was so long the poor fish were getting stuck in it! I was very embarrassed about it, so I didn't take many pictures. Here's the only ones I could find. You can see we fish trap in the one. Right after the picture was taken we caught all the fish the removed all the rock. We manually removed a lot of the algae and the tank ran for a while without fish (we were treating for an ich outbreak at the same time!).

P4170598.jpg

P4160596.jpg

That was about 7 months ago. All is well now. :rolleyes:
See what 7 months of hanging out with us will do? Could you post a current picture Sara?

BLAKEJOHN

Well here is mine at its worst. Not really an "Algae" problem. But its being tanken care of and looks much better. Could definatly use a new clean up crew though.
Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

johnmaloney

lots of cyano, we are counting that as algae even though it s really a bacteria. Lots of long hair in those other pics, really coming along nicely.

johnmaloney

By the way the discount code for the posts is "ugly". When you enter a tank I will eventually move it over to my site for the judging. But if you use the discount to order, make sure during checkout you give me your username, and a link to the photo this way I can match them up for the possibility of a refund if you win the contest.

seafansar

See what 7 months of hanging out with us will do? Could you post a current picture Sara?

Not exactly current, but you can see that all the hair algae is gone.
P6160183.jpg

Right now I'm dealing with some bubble algae and stupid bryopsis on a few rocks.

johnmaloney

looking great now blake. just keep an eye on the reason the phosphates built up in the first place. (water source, food, etc...) Having something to "eat" the phosphates will keep it looking that way.

BLAKEJOHN

Ive been at it since SEPT. I am just now getting to a point that it does not grow back faster than I can remove it. As far as PO4, I've tested my tap, RO and WC water and they all read 0. So I have come to the conclusion that it must be the food. So I have been rinsing with RO twice before feeding. Right now I spend about 12hrs a week cleaning the tank. Hopefully my efforts will pay off in the end.

Stacef

Yes I am, I think the source of phosphates was feeding, I have since adjusted my feeding to only every 3 days, turned my fuge lights on 24/7 hoping the chaeto will take some of the phosphates out of the water, and still rinsing food in RO.

I just started last week with the new feeding schedule so we will see what happens there... A clean up crew sure would be nice though :p

yungreefer2410

you don't know HA unless you saw my first sw tank! it was taken down awhile ago. i used tap water and feed twice a day. there was only green in there