Triggerjay's Glass Box

Triggerjay

Just about had it with my Maxspect Gyre. Had to take it apart at 3am to install yet another rotor. I'm out of spare parts at this point, and undecided if I want to invest any more money in this pump. The motor seems to be having issues at this point as well. When it was first installed I could only run it at 30% forward, 40% reverse or the tank would become a sandstorm. Today I run it at 100% and the flow isn't enough. Aside from my sump return this is the only means of water movement in the tank. Seriously considering other options.. Any recommendations?

Triggerjay

Leaning towards the jeabo wp-25 dual pump single controller.. Anyone have experience with the jeabo line? Pros/cons?

StirCrayzy

I'm totally surprised after seeing so many great reviews on the gyre.
I've been running dual jebao wp25s on my 65 for 2 yrs now, with no issues, they started loud but quieted down after a month or so. I can't run them on high, or on "else" (reef crest) mode, it's too much for a 3' tank.
I wish the dual control module was out when I bought in, it looks to function really well. I think Willie got one. I'm just running them on wave 1 and each single control is set at a different interval. This gives some good alternating, but random flow.
I took a chance on reliability, but so far so good. (Knock on wood).

Triggerjay

That's good to hear. I took apart (yet again) my gyre this afternoon. Upon careful inspection I noticed the couplings on the impellers were stripped. They are a slip fit, so I applied a drop of superglue to each one. It now runs like new again, but this is a temporary fix at best. Going to order the wp-25 set.

anarchy

I prefer the new rw series. On my 30 gallon sps Dom tank I have 2 RW4s at 100 % and on my 93 I have a rw8 and rw15. They also have a master/ slave feature that allows 1 pump to control the others. So all 4 of mine are synced

Triggerjay

Will the rw4 sync opposite? As in one on, one off and then one off, one on? Or do they mimic each other when in slave?

anarchy

No they mimic but you can set the pulse rate with the knob. One can pulse fast and one slow. Mine are all on w1 right now at 100%. But some pulse fast and some slower. I have great PE so I haven't changed it. Here's a few examples
dbdd06203c766d4be188cb1c0e8a49d1.jpg
f73a8c1f04aa67dd39198acb2da61d1f.jpg
9eb9cdc722c02f079e65d5398e37eaac.jpg

Triggerjay

I decided to go with the dual wp25 setup because I wanted to be able to alternate them. I also ordered a dosing pump for my two part. Should be here in about a week.

Triggerjay

Had to pull my green stylo today. It STNed on me over the last few days. Tank params stable.. Not really sure what the deal was. Thinking possible bacterial infection. No other corals affected... It's a mystery to me!

Triggerjay

So, no kh swing over that period? Sorry you lost that piece man.
No, no Alk swings lately. Not really sure what the issue was. Started in the center of the colony and worked its way out. I was able to grab a small part of the base.. I'll see if it will grow into another colony.