Trials and Tribulations of an Upgrade!

I am trying another Meleagris. This one I am going to pretty much just throw in the tank I think. I have heard Leopard wrasses should not be QTd or separated because it will stress them out if there is not a sand bed.

But to condradict this I have heard that keeping them in QT or at least sperated allows them to feed and adapt instead of starve due to hiding.

kyley

If you're looking for help making a decision there, I would lean toward keeping them in the QT. It gives them a chance to get used to eating the foods you provide, fatten up, and get used to you. Good luck either way you go though!

BTW, the only fish I'd heard shouldn't be QTed is a Mandarin (because of a coating they have that prevent Ich, etc), but then I heard a bunch of arguments against that too (train them on prepared foods, they may still carry something in their gills, etc.). Take care,
--Kyle

Kyle, Thanks for your advice.
I have been having such a hard time getting my hands on a healthy M. Meleagris I may just give up. None of the LFS can keep one longer than a couple days, so I think that they are getting sick of ordering them for me. I may just try a pair of mandarins. We'll see though.

Just did a water test:
Ca: 460ppm
dKH: 7
Phos: 0
Amm: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
PH: 7.8

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Based on the wrasse not lasting more than a couple days at the LFS I think I'd give up on that idea. Are you sure you can support a pair of Mandarins? one is tough, let alone two.

Dweezil

I know this is not going to come off as it is intended (I really am only trying to help) but it seems to me that you are making some very poor decisions.
You are killing these poor fish it seems with no regard. Why are you intent on picking fish that are expert only or trying to keep more than one of a species that is known not to do well with each other?

I realize everyone wants that "cool" fish that not too many people have but at what cost? Everyone makes mistakes and looses a fish from time to time but it seems to me that you are doing your home work and know ahead of time what you're getting into but are doing it anyway. If your LFS can't keep this fish alive why do you think you can?

kyley

I would suggest holding off on the Mandarins as well. That's the fish I want the most myself, but I won't be getting one until my tank is more mature. Even at 6 months old now, I'm not ready yet. I think the tank needs to be more mature and have a refugium setup with pods to support the mandarin. Even though the mandarin may eat frozen foods, I can't count on that. So a refugium comes next with a lot of pods added to it - for me anyway.

On the wrasse, there are so many beautiful wrasse out there to choose from - most of which are easier to keep. Maybe it would be better to try one of them instead? Take care,
--Kyle

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
LPS - I always hate to be critical, and I've made my own share of bad choices, but what Tammy said needs to be considered. Not only just the health and well being of the fish we buy, but for ourselves too - losing fish is a bummer for any of us, and I'm sure you must feel the same way. Play it safe and don't set yourself up to be disappointed. It can be difficult enough to keep "easy" fish healthy, without trying to get lucky in keeping difficult fish alive.

I know this is not going to come off as it is intended (I really am only trying to help) but it seems to me that you are making some very poor decisions.
You are killing these poor fish it seems with no regard. Why are you intent on picking fish that are expert only or trying to keep more than one of a species that is known not to do well with each other?

I realize everyone wants that "cool" fish that not too many people have but at what cost? Everyone makes mistakes and looses a fish from time to time but it seems to me that you are doing your home work and know ahead of time what you're getting into but are doing it anyway. If your LFS can't keep this fish alive why do you think you can?

I understand your point of view, please understand my response is ment in a cordial manner.

I, I repeat, I am not killing any fish.
Fish die, life goes on.
Look at the the top breeders in the world. They have freezers full of dead fish. You think ORA has never lost a fish?
I am not saying I am as skilled or as big as ORA, but we all start somewhere.
In all honesty, I am trying to do difficult things because I can do the easy things.
It is MY goal to be better at reefing and gain experience through MY personal experience.
When I got into the hobby, I was not a researcher and figured all clowns were the same, an LFS sold me one True Perc and an Ocellaris. I got em home, acclimated and to the Nem.
Posted on some boards and got bashed for pairing them, I was told that they would kill each other, and this and that.
Now they spawn regularly.

There are so many pretenses and so much false info out there, why not know it for yourself instead of taking everyone else's word for it?

In regards to the Angels. I know that CB can be paired in hareems in the tank I have, in smaller even.

The wrasse, not a clue what happened, as you can see from my post my water params are good, and it was eating.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
There are so many pretenses and so much false info out there

It is hard to sort out sometimes all the info related to saltwater tanks that we need to have success - this article below, written by the the owners of RS Travis Staut, has helped me & is a good :read:
026.gif

10kFriendsArt.

Oh man.:evileye:
So last night I turned off the pumps to target feed, nothing out of the usual, and after about 10-15 min, I went to turn the pumps back on.
Flipped the switch for the smaller pump, it fired on no problem.
Then I flipped the larger pumps switch.
Worst noise I have ever heard, a crackling noise.
I thought it was maybe not getting any water or something since I use the large black sponge.
So I took out the sponge, and tried it again, same noise.
I took the pump out completely and tried it in the kitchen in a bucket of water. nothing.
:banghead:
I took it apart to find that the white plastic impellor that travels through the magnet had snapped!
I tried calling RedSea, left a message for Pinky. It was about 5 PM CST, so hopefully I will hear back from her today.
This morning I tried super glueing the impeller shaft together but I think that the stainless steel rod that goes through the magnet and impeller shaft got glued too, and I am pretty sure that the impeller moves around that shaft.
I have my fingers crossed.
:fingerx:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I think it's the cylindrical magnet that actually turns, so it may be OK. Let us know if it worked.

The glue is holding but when I put the unit back together, with the blue cap, it won't spin. If I take if off and try and hold the black piece, I can get it to work, but if I turn it off and try again, I got nothing. It is a huge PITA for sure.
I have a Koralia Nano and a Koralia 1400 and the right pump still pushing water around.

Back to the fish:
I am going to give up on the wrasse as no one can get me one that looks healthy or stays alive.
I decided on a Green Mandarin. Added him on Tues. he is doing great. He was eating frozen at the LFS and in my tank, that is the other reason I had the pumps off!
He is fat and looks great.
Also on Tues I spotted a fat CBB, Copper Banded Butterfly, that was eating frozen brine. I put him on hold to make sure that he was in fact healthy.
Went back last night, he is still eating and looks great.

UPDATE:

The Copperbanded and the Mandarin are doing great.
The Copperbanded is even eating from my hand!

The Mandarin is also eating frozen, but not as readily as I wanted. If the food floats on the bottom near him he snags it but he will not feed from the water column.

My Pearly jawfish is doing well as well, always moving his burrow though, unsure why. But is fat and seems healthy.

I am doing a water change tonight and then water tests.

The only issue I have been experiencing is that some of my LPS are bleaching and I can not figure out why.
Mostly Acans. They are on the bottom of the tank receiving little light.
The Acans were under pretty high light when I got em at the frag swap in MI.
I also am trying to feed regularly, cyclopeeze, but they are not putting out tentacles as much as they used to.
Basically all the corals EXCEPT the SPS I got at that swap are starting to bleach.

I'll post some before and now picks.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sounds good on the fish. Not sure what's up with the acans - maybe not enough light? Are they getting a lot of substrate dumped on them by the jawfish? Ca, Alk & Mg OK? Just putting out some thoughts.

Sounds good on the fish. Not sure what's up with the acans - maybe not enough light? Are they getting a lot of substrate dumped on them by the jawfish? Ca, Alk & Mg OK? Just putting out some thoughts.

Thanks for the ideas.
No sand on em, the Jaw is pretty central to his burrows, none of which are around the acans.

The levels are pretty good, a little low on the dKH, like 9
But I will do some tests tonight.

SO still having issues with the Acans. Them and one of my Lobos are bleaching, everything else is fine.
I did water tests on the 9th, everything was fine.
I have been trying to keep up on the dKh dosing and continue to test that almost daily.
keeping it around 10. i am hoping that may help, but it is looking dire...