Tongan Rock Ban

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
This is s link to CRISP's midterm Report put out this May that covers their conservation and environmental efforts and plans etc. in the South Pacific. Australia is one of their major supporters. The support they are receiving and influence they are gaining is growing daily. Things are definitely changing. The U.S. is running out of countries with reefs to plunder that are not already listening intently to groups like CRISP. The exciting thing is all the research papers on the Pacific Coral Reefs that are posted on Reefbase are now on a CD and being distributed all over the Pacific.

This CRISP Report document is over 5 MB so will take a while to download.
http://www.crisponline.net/Portals/1/PDF/CRISP_MTR.pdf
:scram:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Cool info Fatman. I downloaded it and will read it tonight after work. I have not seen that site yet. Thanks!

rmlevasseur

Perhaps a little off the topic, but this reminds me of my honeymoon in Jamaica. We stayed at a Sandals resort. One day we went snorkeling thru a surprisingly nice reef there. While under water I noted that the boat that took us out there had just chucked the very large anchor right on top of the reef. Imagine this happening 3 times a day every week. Wasn't pretty.

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
Even as exploitive as Americans are we fail in comparison to ships anchors, fisherman and natural events in regard to the damage we do to living reefs. Almost 1/3 of the Corals in the Pacific were severely injured if not outright killed by ocean warming in 2005. WE however can be more easily controlled than the sea's boats and the weather. We unfortunately as a country are having a hard time giving up on our dependence on oil, as it is sill a very cheap source of power and is so easily storeable and transportable, therefore our weather is worsening and CO2 is being taken up by the oceans in huge amounts.

We might be saving the reefs from the aquarium trades irresponsible plundering and inept practices, only to lose them due to man caused climate change.

Walt claims he practiced only sustainable harvesting of Live rock, yet he fails to show how he is accomplishing such a miraculous feat. Live rock is made up of dead coral skeletons that are cemented together by coraline algae growth and covered by further layers of coraline and calcium carbonate precipitation binding on its surface.

Live rock is typically hundreds as years old, if not thousands. They are not adding anything to replace what they remove and are definitely removing it faster than it is being generated, so how is that sustainable yield being accomplished. They have not even bothered to replace the rock removed with land excavated carbonate rocks (base rocks). In my book they are simply written in as coral reef plunderers driven by the desires for money, no more and no less. If they were lees profit motivated and more motivated by conservation and sustainable yields they would have stated up mariculturing prior to removing the very first rock, coral or fish from the reefs. Then he or they might have some basis for claiming they always operated at sustainable yields.

Anyone that has ever kept or grown much stony coral realize a typical stoney corals growth is often times measured in milli meters of growth per year not meters per year. Walt's statement is akin to an oil company stating this counties producers of oil are only pumping oil out of the ground at a sustainable yield. We call petroleum as a non renewable resource as it takes so long for petroleum to form.

Reefs take many thousands of years to form an they are barely able to expand without human harvesting as their growth is so slow, yet it takes more than export quotas to control heir demise unless the harvesters are required to practice mariculture. If the coral reefs are not growing then we are harvesting beyond sustainable yields, and I have heard no emergency bulletins about the excessive growth and expansion of any of the worlds reefs

Frankie

RS STAFF
Perhaps a little off the topic, but this reminds me of my honeymoon in Jamaica. We stayed at a Sandals resort. One day we went snorkeling thru a surprisingly nice reef there. While under water I noted that the boat that took us out there had just chucked the very large anchor right on top of the reef. Imagine this happening 3 times a day every week. Wasn't pretty.
Now imagine that anchor being tossed into your tank :willis:

Heliux

:smck:Im headed to the store today so ill grab it while i can like everyone else. Why is there a ban? maybe i missed it but would be great to know.
EDIT: thanks fatman that did help clear up my question... guess i missed your post

Heliux

I talked to my LFS owner and she as well heard of the ban on tongan LR. She also said that they are now only allowed to buy the rubble remains that the anchors and stuff smashed. So grab the big pieces while you can.

Heliux

What? No man, i did ask my LFS owner about it and she did say that. She is still getting a steady shipment of smaller pieces and said thats the reasoning.

mps9506

What? No man, i did ask my LFS owner about it and she did say that. She is still getting a steady shipment of smaller pieces and said thats the reasoning.

Just remember that what your LFS manager says isn't always correct. Make sure to read the sources posted above :)

chrome91

yeah, she might be wrong. i doubt anything is going to be taken anymore, even rubble. luckily my supplier held me 20lbs of tonga shelf before the ban

Heliux

Im just stating what other people are saying. Not trying to say anyone is wrong, just there are more sides to every story.

Sorry didnt mean to upset anyone.

lix

lcstorc

Nobody is upset they are simply telling you the information you received is incorrect. Her supplier may have some leftover pieces that they are sending to her but once that runs out there will be no more. She was likely mis-informed about where it is coming from.

lcstorc

You can say that again.
This one sounds like they have been misinformed or at least it was not one of the dangerous ones that cost the animals their lives.

Heliux

She must have been mis-informed. but im sure if i bring it up later this month she will have a better note over the subject.

lcstorc

You can print out the beginning of this thread if you like. There are details about the ban there in case she doesn't know.
My lfs is a large importer and occasionally I know something before them. It could be a similar case and she welcomes the knowledge.

mps9506

Or they could be trying to rip you a new one saying they have rare imported Tongan live rock that no one else has access to.
Fwiw, several of the wholesalers that I still talk to have boxes of Tongan left, but the "pickins are gittin" slim as they say around here :) I was tempted to buy some Fusion just to have some when I setup later on this year. :(

Heliux

Ill do that stor:) And ya im buying as much as i can so that when i need them i can just keep them curing in my curing bin for a long time.