Tok's RSM 250

Tokalosh

Wow! That bristle worm takes the cake compared to the size of my bristle worms! Had no idea they could get that large

I believe they can get as long as 3 meters and have been found at 2 meters in some tanks. Don't know about you but they give me the spooks every time I put my hands in my tank.

Cheers

Tok

Tokalosh

Well after reading Dan's thread I got to thinking of when last I actually tested the RO water I mix my salt in. My TDS meter on my RO unit reads 000 but I've never tested the water in my containers before I add the salt.

Well, 058 was not what I was expecting!!

It turns out there seems to be a very thin layer of brown algae covering the sides of my containers. It's so thin it's almost invisible to the naked eye. So taking two hand fulls of reef sand and some water, I added this to my two empty containers. Putting the lids on, I shook them vigorously for a few minutes. Then flushed them out with RO water until clean. Now my readings are 000.

It's small things like this that inevitably lead to big catastrophes later on.

Tok

NJ Reefer

PREMIUM
Sorry about the crash. Good luck rebuilding.

I had the same issue with my mixing container. After seeing a PO4 spike in my DT, I tested the water in my mixing station and sure enough the PO4 was at 0.24. I cycled a gallon a vinegar through the system for a day and scrubbed the brown film out. Looks like I will need to do this on a regular basis now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tokalosh

Well I’m going to be a dad, and I’m so excited!!

As you all know my tank took a dive toward the Marina Trench, but it’s slowly on the rise.

Parameters are all back in check and have been double checked. The Bio Pearls I’m running in the reactor are doing wonders in reducing the side salad rather well and my PO4 is almost at 0.

The Bio Pearls are the best thing I’ve added to my tank since the crash.

The new clean-up crew are also earning there keep and are making short work in getting the live rock looking like it should.

Now a few months ago I acquired two new members for my tank. At the time I thought I may have made a BIG mistake in adding Damsel Fish in my tank. I was told that they are very aggressive and can stress out other fish when it comes to territory.

BUT they looked so beautiful I could not stop myself. To my surprise they get on well with all the other fish and have never been an issue.

At first the two Damsels started shimmering at each other and chased each other here and there, but I did not think anything of it until I looked in the tank this morning to discover one of them had laid eggs.

Whether or not the fry survive, only time will tell.

Female

Male

Eggs inside a barnacle.

Will keep you updated.

Tok

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great pics ! Glad to hear the tank on the rebound !

and super congrats on the up coming new birth. being dad is one of lifes great rewards

funkoid

Good to hear things are on the way up! How are you managing with the AIO aspect of things? I keep hearing people regretting going with AIO units, particularly the max, you never been tempted with putting a sump on it?

Hey Tokalosh!

Amazing tank, Sad story...and for sure, AMAZING animals!
I'm a big fan from your tank!

I'm using the same idea as u, using a led light with intank media basket with chaeto.

Thank you and hope to hear back from you soon...

Keep it up!