Tli rsm 500

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Tom bump your water change amount up for a few weeks and see if that helps to turn things around. 10% is what I consider "normal %" when things are going good. When I see something "off" my first aide is to increase water change amount and possibly frequency to see if this helps.

Oxylebius

+1 to Al and water changes. Also it's never too late to start tracking water quality parameters, after a couple of good water changes is a good time to start. It sounds like you already have the test kits (though the nitrate readings are suspicious, one of those test kits is off), so would be easy for you to start monitoring... at least for a little while until things settle down.

DaddyTLi

Ok, Nitrate is down waiting for the tank to go steady. I attended my first coral swap. Got a few free frags. Rx them and they are in. Waiting for the best to happen.

Choff

Don't feel bad, we've all been there. Your sps are def not liking the high nitrate. Even 14 is too high for sps.

You need to figure out the source. Has your skimmer been working properly and pulling lots of gunk out regularly? Have you been doing regular WC?

If those are both yes, does your sump need cleaning? Check the rear power head chamber. I'm guessing a build up of detritus and possibly over feeding if the first 2 are being done.

DaddyTLi

Don't feel bad, we've all been there. Your sps are def not liking the high nitrate. Even 14 is too high for sps.

You need to figure out the source. Has your skimmer been working properly and pulling lots of gunk out regularly? Have you been doing regular WC?

If those are both yes, does your sump need cleaning? Check the rear power head chamber. I'm guessing a build up of detritus and possibly over feeding if the first 2 are being done.
Thanks for the encouragement. I increase the water change to twice a week at 15%. I think the feeding is on par, because all the fishes attack during feeding as if they don't have enough. I do use a micro filter sock for the downflow/overflow to the sump, I wonder if that traps stuff that needs to be dumped. I change the sock once every week or two.

The skimmer has been acting strangely. A couple of times in the last three months. It started to over skim and flooded the floor. I had to lower the setting and not have readjusted after the last incident. It was filling about 1.25 gal in a week, it slowed for some reason and then it over skimmed when I was trying to adjust. I hope it is more steady now. I am usually away for work Mon to Thur. so I only have the weekends to take care of it. My daughter has been doing a great job keeping watch.

I use the stock skimmer by red sea that came with the tank, and had no previous problems with it. I clean the gunk via the "force cycle" of the chamber once a week. The top I don't normally clean until I see "gunk" beginning to fill the reservoir area (which I have a hose redirecting the output to a 2.5 gal slim water jug.

By way down in Nitrate, I am still using the 15 par RO and 1 part tank water and it is very light pink. Will try the full 16 part tank water this week.

Tom

Choff

15 pct twice a week is a lot. Don't burn yourself out. That will get old fast.

Depending in how "wet" you like to skim, you should need to empty that cup approx weekly. You should be pulling some black nasty smelling sludge out. Personally, I was never able to get the c-skim to function properly and swapped mine out pretty quick.

...stupid auto correct

DaddyTLi

Yes I was. It was my first. I was so into speaker sessions and the floor, i neglected my daughter, niece and her friend. I feel so bad after my wife admonished me. I had a good time, but I dont think they did. It would havemade up if I won Dr Mac coral. They were rooting for me. I'll know better next time.

Tom

DaddyTLi

Sorry, corrected the last post. I just did some tank cleaning. Here is the before and after shots.

Before

After

I also ordered some stuff from BRS. They are having a 15% sale on most things.

Tom

DaddyTLi

Just ordered a bunch of stuff from BRS. My first 2 part dosing pump with high capacity GFO. Hmmm, also ordered a booster pump and some more NO3 PO4-x.

Tom

DaddyTLi

This is new to me. I've seen hairy burgandy algae. what is this burgundy stuff? Is it harmful to a reef tank?

Tom

coralrama

This is new to me. I've seen hairy burgandy algae. what is this burgundy stuff? Is it harmful to a reef tank?

Tom
If it rubs off easily it's probably cyano bacteria, which will spread quickly and can be a battle to get rid of. If it doesn't rub off its probably red coraline algae, which is way cool.

DaddyTLi

If it rubs off easily it's probably cyano bacteria, which will spread quickly and can be a battle to get rid of. If it doesn't rub off its probably red coraline algae, which is way cool.
It does not rub off. I thought coraline are light purple.

Tom

DaddyTLi

Thanks Coralrama.

Ok, here is a puzzle. What is this??? They wave around and is on my frag rack. The clown sometimes nibble on them but is not food. Is right by my duncan, Could it be "baby duncan"?

Tom