Tli rsm 500

DaddyTLi

Sorry you have fish missing :(
How do you feel about replacing them after a given amount of time?
Ahhh... My wife flipped. Last week, I went out and got bicolor angel, green mandarin, two more green blue chromis, two yellow black stripe chromis..... Then just today I purchased two glider gobies, two engineering gobies, one fire fish, replaced the tiny yellow black chromis that was eaten, and a purple tang... It was an ouch in the pocket. I feel bad for the decision. The yellow tang is nudging the purple away from the hiding places.

Tom

Paul B

My wife looks in the tank all the time and says "I never saw that fish before" and I say, " it must have hatched in there."

Choff

How are those engineer gobies working out? Ready to kill them yet?

...stupid auto correct

Paul B

I have no engineer gobies, but I am ready to kill the pistol shrimp who think they are engineer gobies.

Last edited:

DaddyTLi

How are those engineer gobies working out? Ready to kill them yet?

...stupid auto correct

I think I only have one left. The one that made it does not show up much. It popped up a couple weeks ago and disappeared the next day.

Keeping my eyes open.

Tom

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DaddyTLi

This has been happening for awhile. I noticed that the Blue/green Chromis faces each other and kiss like kissing fish.

I have also observed the two tangs (Yellow and Purple) nudge each other with their tail. My daughter calls it "tail five".

Tom

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My green Chromis do that when my lights start dimming in the evenings (look like kissing fish) ....I've heard it's like arm wrestling :yup: only with their lips, a way of establishing pecking order ;)
I love my Chromis, so pretty! :heart:

Oxylebius

This has been happening for awhile. I noticed that the Blue/green Chromis faces each other and kiss like kissing fish.

I have also observed the two tangs (Yellow and Purple) nudge each other with their tail. My daughter calls it "tail five".

Tom

They are all establishing pecking order (or dominance). The tangs can slice each other with their tails, so watch those two closely until they came down, they don't call them surgeon fish for nothing.

Choff

My kole and purple were like that for the first couple of days, now they are great. Although a yellow and purple are both zebrasomas so they may never like each other. Keep an eye on it and hopefully they work it out.

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
I have a desjardina, yellow and scopas and it was a nightmare the first 24hrs but the are all chums now and follow each other around ! I also have two pairs of different clowns which get on good to. In fact I love the fact that they get along peacefully, maybe its because I generally keep my tank running at 25 deg Celsius?

DaddyTLi

I have a desjardina, yellow and scopas and it was a nightmare the first 24hrs but the are all chums now and follow each other around ! I also have two pairs of different clowns which get on good to. In fact I love the fact that they get along peacefully, maybe its because I generally keep my tank running at 25 deg Celsius?
Is 25 c a bit low? I have my tank set at 81 f.

SnoopNL

27 degrees celcius is what I keep my tank at, if you typ in 25 celcius = fahrenheit, Google will tell you how many degrees it is in Fahrenheit.

27 celcius is 80.6 F btw

DaddyTLi

My Nano 12 gal over heated. I have an coolworks iceprobe and the cooling fan die on me. The cooling rod became a heating rod. The single damsel is now a goner.

Anyone try hooking up a nano as an external refugium cycling with the main tank's water? I want to use the existing chiller to cool the nano. The coolworks iceprobe is expensive.

Tom

DaddyTLi

Ok, I don't know what's going on. The SPSs on my 500 is not doing well at all. The LPSs and others seems to be fine. Any idea? Yes, NO3 is high, I am lowering the NO3.

Tom

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Tom what do you consider "high" NO3?

What are your other tank parameters?

Anything else changed? Added any new SPS in the last few months?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
one of the tips I have gleaned... from reading many post from some RS members with stellar sps tanks, is "proper" alk & tank stability - No swings... as keys

see what others think...

Choff

Post parameters, what bulbs you are running and how old they are and did you add any additional flow to the stock tank?

...stupid auto correct

DaddyTLi

Thanks for all the good questions. My No3 according to api test is 30, red sea test shows 14. KH 7.6. CA 400. Mg 1200. I admit it kh ca and mg were much lower. so that may be the cause. I change 10% water every week. Had my red sea reef spec t5 light changed about 2 weeks ago. I noticed the problem with sps but it was very gradual so i did not think anything of it. My fault i dont test enough and rely on "history" of good time.

I did not add more sps i added a few lps. And as you all know a lot of fishes during the summer.

I also noticed my vortech mp40 was on a lower setting. Maybe my daughter or i, switching to feed mode everyday, may have moved the knob by accident.

I feel bad writing this note. Is all my fault for not being on top of the parameters.

Tom