This could be good or very bad.

lcstorc

Well just did the early morning check.
Can't find Sunshine but that is normal. She is likely still sleeping and nothing looks disturbed on her side of the tank.
Now his side is another story. Who ever said to give these guys rubble? He has moved entire rocks and ignored all of the pretty rubble I put in for him. He is still in the back corner where he was spitting sand last night but now he is covered with some pretty big rock he moved. So basically he is pretty protected.
I really don't think they know about each other yet which is probably the best thing. He is still pretty stressed so hopefully he has a day or so to get settled before she discovers him.
Anyway, stayed home from work so I can keep an eye out.
Updates every couple of hours since I don't want to disturb them too much.

Amphibious

Well just did the early morning check.
Can't find Sunshine but that is normal. She is likely still sleeping and nothing looks disturbed on her side of the tank.
Now his side is another story. Who ever said to give these guys rubble? He has moved entire rocks and ignored all of the pretty rubble I put in for him. He is still in the back corner where he was spitting sand last night but now he is covered with some pretty big rock he moved. So basically he is pretty protected.
I really don't think they know about each other yet which is probably the best thing. He is still pretty stressed so hopefully he has a day or so to get settled before she discovers him.
Anyway, stayed home from work so I can keep an eye out.
Updates every couple of hours since I don't want to disturb them too much.

I should have called you yesterday!!! I was up near you picking up Ocean's Blend product. I had phone in hand but, with limited time, decided to head South and home. I know getting together with you would have been more than, hello, hugs and goodbyes. ESPECIALLY with the newcomer. congratulations on that find. Did you get him where I think? North of 528 on Hwy 1? That's where I wanted to meet you for a check it out visit. Haven't been there in some time. So close and little time, darn!

I think you have your sexes mixed up. The newbie must be a female with all the re-arranging of "furniture" going on. :yup: A guy would just move in, kick a trail through to rubble, grab a beer and slouch on the couch. :drunk:

lcstorc

Now I am just plain mad at you. Cat and I were there for like 2 hours. I would have loved for you to join us. That would have been a blast.
I could be wrong on the sexes but I am pretty sure the new guy is just making a nice secure home. He has now ventured out a couple of inches into the rockwork but scurries back to his new home if anything startles him. Meanwhile somehow Sunshine knows somethingis going on. She keep popping in and out of her burrow and has re-opened one of her side tunnels that she had closed off. She is still staying close to home and I don't think they have even seen each other yet.
I would love for them to wait a couple of days before meeting. Let the new guy settle in a bit. It was hard to tell at the store but he is significantly smaller than she is.
Still crossing my fingers and trying not to check too often.
Dinner time may be interresting but I am going to target feed them both at their dens.

lcstorc

Fish are really such interresting creatures and I think they are far smarter than we usually give them credit for.
Sunshine obviously knows something is up. She has never reacted much at all to a new addition to the tank but this time she is building like crazy. She is doing so much re-arranging that she must be the female.
Meanwhile he just sits in his protected corner about as far away as he could get.
As far as I know they have not seen each other but somehow they both seem to know. Maybe a scent of some kind?

Amphibious

At the time I thought, I should never tell Lynn I was this close with out a call. Now, I'm sorry I didn't. So, I'll take a lickin :whip: and keep on tickin. I do want to meet Cat. If she is half the blast you are, the three of us would have a screamin good time.

Has the Blue Spot been bred in captivity?

Dick

lcstorc

Let's slow down there Bob.
I'll be happy if they just don't kill each other.
Babies would be beyond my wildest dreams.

lcstorc

Did some searches and didn't find much on their breeding. Did get a link back to Lorraine's pair. :)

bluespotjawfish

Wow, where did you get the link from? Where did it take you?

Mine switched places today. They are so comical! BJ spends half the day flashing at the glass.

SeahorseBT

I heard one place in mexico bred them a few years back. I am not positive on that though. I think I heard it on MOFIB. Thanks for the great updates Lynn!

lcstorc

Actually i was reading on MOFIB and that is where the link to yours was Lorraine. I didn't follow the link but it was ReefSanctuary and talking about a person having a pair. Has to be yours and your flashing male.
Things are unchanged here except even more tunnels on Sunshine's side of the tank.
We'll see if dinner time brings a change.

lcstorc

Actually "cough cough" I stayed home today.
Bad Lynn.
Couldn't stand to leave the babies home alone. Of course now I am paying for it with a major migraine.
I should know better.

sambrinar

Yikes,,, all for the sake of the fishes... you took one for the team!! Glad it's going well for the fish. Hope you feel better soon

lcstorc

It's fishie dinner time.
Now for the next stage of the test. I am soo glad I have those long droppers from Jay. I have been using them to feed a lot of the tank but today they will be really handy. I am hoping they stay apart for a couple of days until the new guys gets more established. The new guy is significantly smaller so he needs any edge he can get.

lcstorc

Phase 2 complete.
I have to go thank Jay again.
The droppers were perfect.
I was able to feed both fish directly on their opposite sides. He ate right from the end of the dropper. It was really cool because I was able to feed him one mysis at a time and he took it from the end of the dropper.
Sunshine has never done that. I just puff a tiny bit in front of her and she eats it and repeat.
She is still building away. I see rocks and shells that have been hidden for months. He is still burried in his corner but came out to eat and acted like he was half starved to death.
Let's see if they can make it through another night.