TheSpivster's 60 Gallon Rimless Journey Begins

Thespivster

Hi all...first off thank you to everyone on this site who has helped my learn and grow in this hobby over the last year plus. Some of you helped directly and the rest of you helped without even knowing it. ;)

I've had my Bio-cube for a little over a year and modified it to the point that it's practically no longer recognizable as a bio-cube. The lid is gone and replaced with 20" Sunpod 150w MH. I built a 1 1/2" PVC overflow and a custom 15G sump/fuge that fits perfectly in the stock stand.

I went to my LFS who was having a sale to replace a watchman goby who apparently "just couldn't take it anymore" and took a header onto the carpet.

...Well sales will be sales and I ended up with MUCH more than just a new goby...

I came home with a DAP 60 Gal Rimless RR Tank and custom stand. The dimensions are approximately 36" wide by 20" tall and 20" deep. It's on a taller than normal awesome hardwood stand.

I bought an AquaticLife 6x36" T5HO fixture to top it off.

I also just bought 70 LB of Dry rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater that should arrive on the 6th. I got a 20G Long to make the sump. I'll be migrating my NAC6 and the Rio 1700 return pump from the Bio-cube. I also ordered a SCWD to disperse the flow between the two returns. I bought a JBJ ATO (my DIY one from the cube kept failing so much that I ditched it after a month.)

I'll also use the 2 Koralia Nano's from the cube as well but I can imagine now that they will be on the short list of upgrade needs before long.

My plan is to basically dump everything into the new tank from the cube and grow it out as time and funds allow. The cube is thriving so I feel that I have enough live rock, skimmer, cheato, etc to support my current load. The dry rock will be seeded from the live. I didn't go with live rock because I didn't want any die off to stress or damage any of the migrated livestock. I'm really hoping to minimize any cycle by migrating everything in tact and not adding anything but an additional 30G of water!

I'll post pics over the next several days of my cube setup as it moves to it's temporary location and of the new tank build-out.

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I know I will!

Thespivster

And here's some pics!!

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

tomorrow...more pics...I should have rock, sand and water in it before bedtime tonight!

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Looks like you have a well thought out setup, can't wait to see the progress :D

Thespivster

Thanks for the positive comments guys!! I credit this forum for 90% of my ideas and the nano forum for 9%. The last 1% is the sock holder and I made that one up myself!!! I have some acrylic sheet so if the sock holder doesn't hold, I'll make one out of it. But it was last minute thing since I had made a couple of shelves to put on the top of the sump to store food and my kalk dripper. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Thespivster

Here's a quick phone pic this morning of the tank with rock, sand and water after about 12 hours. Currently there is no water in the sump or any circulation. I'll start up pump etc when I get home today.

60G_JustAddedWater.JPG

Thespivster

Well everything moved over fine this evening. I do hate new sand. This thing will be cloudy for days. Every time a fish swims along the bottom a little cloud of sand flies. More pics tomorrow.

Thespivster

Few few more startup pics. The water is almost clear today so I'll post a few more tonight.

New%20Tank%20002.jpg

New%20Tank%20008.jpg

New%20Tank%20013.jpg

New%20Tank%20014.jpg

New%20Tank%20022.jpg

New%20Tank%20027.jpg

That's all for now. :)

Thespivster

The RBTA is a transplant from my biocube. I've had him for 6 months and he's doing great. He's moving around daily the new tank looking for a good spot. In the meantime I just move any frags out of his way until he figures out where he wants to be...