The Tucker's Red Sea 650

Choff

Hi First and foremost with our tanks I would be worried about the net melting. Our hoods are close to the water and run very hot.

Second my understanding was they blocked a fair amount of light and get clogged with salt creep. Lastly and personally it would seem like pain to deal with everytime I needed to reach into my tank. I must go in 2 or 3 times a day to either feed fetch a fallen coral or flip a snail.

However, I checked out the BRS net you mentioned and the 1/2" seems like a good option.

I probably should have chosen my words a little better and said "I don't personally like" over "I don't recommend"

Edit: when I lost my first trio of anthias, they just disappeared over night. Never found a body and I know they didn't jump.

...stupid auto correct

I bought the 1/4" because we have small fish too. Firefish can probably jump through the 1/2". There is a bit of salt creep but I clean it off occasionally. It's not that bad. I haven't noticed any problems with light getting through. It is clear plastic. Although I'm not sure how it would do with the t5 hood. I probably wouldn't use it without testing first. With LEDs it's not a problem.

The anthias is hopefully in hiding. I don't think he died. If it jumped it's probably under the tank in the back. We found one back there awhile back. I can't easily look now with the nano on the side.

Matt

ziggy

I believe having cyano is a symptom. light coming back on is fuel on the fire.

What is your trate parm?

I subscribe to the theory that trates should be below 10 but holding them ... say around 5 or so, and phospates at 0, will keep cyano in check and feed the good bacteria

Nitrates are around 4-5. Phosphates are difficult to read on Red Sea phosphate pro test. I believe it's 0 or near it. My nitrates have never gotten over 8.

Matt

Update on the cyano. It seems to be better. There is still some on the sand that I missed when vacuuming. But it is not growing anymore. The nano looks so much better. Hopefully it stays gone. I upped the rate of flow in the nano in hopes that this will fix the problems we've had. We still have not found the Bartlett. We've looked all around and under the aquarium. It had to have jumped out. But we can't find it anywhere.

Matt

Another note on using chemiclean and bio pellets. Our phosphates were measurable after using the chemiclean. .04-.06 range. I think it's because the skimmer was turned off and was not skimming. I will retest in a few days when my skimmer settles down.

Matt

I can't remember how it all works. I'm pretty sure the pellets consume nitrates and phosphates to grow the bacteria. Running GFO and pellets is counterproductive. I was thinking the bacteria that consumes the phosphates and nitrates had to be skimmed out. I can't remember. I just know they work for us.

Matt

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Interesting, I think I may be thinking that's its the ratio of phosphates consumed is far less than nitrates. I read about zeovit systems still using GFO to tackle phosphates until pretty much undetectable. And redseakev recommends adding GFO when using no pox to take majority of phosphates, so my guess is the same for any carbon source. Perhaps it's more a case that they maintain levels rather than reducing them.

Also the mulm is a welcome source of food for corals, so its all a bit more confusing lol

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/83315-als-red-sea-650-a.html[url]

I honestly can't remember. Everything was still looking fine on Friday when we left for the weekend. We will see how it's going today when we get home.

Matt

Tank is still looking good after using chemiclean. Did a 25 gallon water change today and will test everything tomorrow. I also have a Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump I have to get set up this week sometime. When should I dose? Should I just have it dose alk, ca, and mg throughout the day and night? The doser will break it down however you want and will also make sure there is a break between dosing different additives so that you don't dose two at the same time. Any advice is appreciated. I bought the doser because I can't seem to stay consistent with my manual dosing.

Matt

Been awhile since I posted. Quick update. Cyano is back. I've started treating with cyano clean. Kind of pricey but thought I'd try it. You just dose and run normally.

My wife and I just got a frag tank set up. It is tied in to the dt. We plumbed it off the main return pump where most do the chiller. The tank is a DSA Neo Nano 34 gallon. It was a display tank at Franks Tanks. The deal was too good to pass up. Got it up and running yesterday. Added a pair of black stubbly ocellaris clowfish. The wife loved them. Too cute I guess. I ordered a reef breeders photon 16 led fixture for the tank.
ejugu8eg.jpg
atamude6.jpg
te9uzusa.jpg

Matt

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Sounds like you got what I'd call the reef keepers virus. When one tank turns into three, you know you got it bad :p

I'm battling a few patches of cyno too now I added another big fish, alls got to restabilize I guess.

We have been battling cyano for awhile now. So last weekend I plumbed the biopellets outflow directly into the protein skimmer. I was reading that if the biopellet outflow doesn't get skimmed well enough that it can increase cyano production. Also, by doing this it increased my flow into the display tank that was taken away when I plumbed the frag tank. The frag tank gets it's water through the line intended for a chiller.

Matt

Haven't posted in awhile. A lot has happened over the past few months. We are currently building a house and having to make the hard decision of whether to keep our tanks or not. I really don't want to move it and could use the money right now to help out with new house stuff. Anyone have any thoughts on moving a tank? Is it worth the trouble?
7eru5yja.jpg

Wolffman64

You have such a cool setup, would be a shame to give it up....

I moved my RSM250 when we bought our house, but I also set up the RSM500 at the same time. I don't regret moving the tank at all, but it's a lot of work.