The Tucker's Red Sea 650

Thank you. I've been way too busy lately to take pictures and keep y'all updated on on the tank. We have tons of new zoas and frags. I will try to take new pics soon. We are considering setting up a frag tank. We are finding that our zoas are making enough money to pay for the upkeep of our tanks. If we had a frag tank we could probably start making a little extra cash. I've sold about 250-300 bucks worth of zoas in the past month or so. My goal is to grow out enough frags that I can sell then cheap. I'm currently fragging $5 frags of zoas with anywhere from 3-10 polyps. I want to be able to share my stuff cheap. It really pisses me off when people sell zoas for $50 a polyp. They're just zoas. It's not like they're hard to grow. If you have a tank with a light and some flow the zoas will grow. I have some utter chaos that someone gave me. I'm hoping to grow them out and see how many people I can piss off with my low prices. Some people sell them for $80 a polyp. Even worse, people are stupid enough to pay that.

Matt

Come to Texas and I will hook you up. I was just looking through the local forum and some guy is trying to sell a paly for 80 bucks. One polyp! $200 for his tiny colony. There is not a zoa or paly in the world worth that much. It's difficult to grow the hobby if you're too greedy to spread the love a little bit.

Matt

I haven't posted in awhile. We've been dealing with a cyano issue. What have y'all done to get rid of the problem. I think our problem is the little tank we have plumbed into the display.

Matt

Choff

I had to do a total black out to get rid of mine. Mine cropped up when I got a new skimmer and I was having a hard time getting it dialed in. Once I got that under control I did the 3 day blackout. Worked like a charm for me.

...stupid auto correct

Choff

Let us know how it works out for you. I bought it, but couldn't pull the trigger on using it. 97 pct of the reviews I read were positive or neutral, but the 3 pct bad ones just scared me to much.

Good luck!

...stupid auto correct

Anytime you put antibiotics in your tank it's kinda scary. Our Lfs guy swears by it. He said just make sure you do it exactly as it says. I will post an update when the lights come on. I don't see much right now. But it usually blows up after the lights come on. I will probably give it one more day and then do a 40 gallon water change.

Matt

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I decided to use chemiclean. Dosed it today. I also turned my led intensity down a bit.

Matt

Matt make sure your tank is VERY well oxygenated while you're using that product. It can go from alright to OH NO in a matter of hours. Be sure to follow the instructions to a TEE and take no short cuts and do NOT over dose it.

I left my skimmer running so that the bubbles will keep the water oxygenated. The water is allowed to spill back out of the cup into the sump so that the chemiclean is not skimmed out. I have been turning it off and on periodically. I turn it off when the dt gets a ton of bubbles in it.

Matt

We were having a major mold problem under the good of the nano that we tied in to the DT. So I removed the lid and mounted the led to a shelf bracket. I used a piece of wood that I painted to extend the bracket out to where it was long enough to mount the fixture. Worked out very well. The lighting is much better now too because it's not so close to the water. We are getting much better spread.

We are also curious to find out if the mold might be a contributor to our cyano outbreak.
e5a3uqa6.jpg
ybuvanad.jpg
uqeratus.jpg

Matt

Choff

nice RFA! Do you happen to have a screen on your S650? so the fish can't jump?

I wouldn't suggest a screen, but check it Nob's thread. He built an awesome fish guard out of acrylic that is simply awesome.

...stupid auto correct

Yes. We have a screen. See below for details. I wish I had made one earlier. We have LEDs so the screen is fine. I'm not sure how the plastic fabric would do under the t5 heat lamp that come with the tank. After losing 3 fish to jumping we had to do the screen. When we watched one of our lyre tail anthias fly out while watching tv I ordered the supplies immediately. Lol

Got the net top from brs put together and on the tank. Fits like a glove. I only had to cut the width of the frame because I got the 60" kit. Fits perfectly inside top part of the tank.
ase5u4ud.jpg

Matt

Matt

Choff, why would you not suggest a screen? I love it. It doesn't get in the way at all and fits perfect. If I did the acrylic setup I would have to extend it way up. Those anthias are jumping machines. We hear them hitting the net all of the time.

Matt

salty23

I wouldn't suggest a screen, but check it Nob's thread. He built an awesome fish guard out of acrylic that is simply awesome.

...stupid auto correct

I am a wrasse lover and I am definitely thinking about getting a screen on my S650, I can't risk them jumping out....
Not to be rude, but may I ask why you would not suggest a screen?

I think one of our bartletts may have jumped out last night when we did our water change. We haven't seen her since. Hopefully she shows up soon. They usually don't disappear.