The truth on Pistol Shrimp

So at my LFS there is a pistol shrimp someone had brought in because it apparently ate their livestock. I was under the impression they were reef safe. I have a YW Goby who I think would make a cool pair, but this shrimp was snapping as soon as the owner showed me the shrimp as it was hiding in the liverock. Are they fish safe? Did the previous owner's stock die from something else? Bad idea to buy? Input pleeease

Thanks!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hmm tough call. They are like people in that they each have their own personality so even a "Reef Safe" or "Fish Safe" animal can develop a bad disposition.

On the other hand they are scavengers and might just be the first "on the scene to the crime" in a sick tank and getting a BUM wrap. It's a guess either way.

Thanks AL.. I always thought they'd be a great part of a CUC, stirring up sand and whatnot. I've had my fish for a few years and I don't want to send them to their death. I'll probably pass.

yankieman

I have a goby and pistol shrimp , from what I read they are reef safe and I have had no problems whatsoever with them except i rarely see them but they are really cool when I get a rare sighting ,, the goby guards the "door" as the pistol shrimp bulldozes his way out clearing the sand out , every now and then I see a "cloud" of sand drifting up and I know they are working,,,,

tnwillia

There is no garantee it will pair up with anything. My Tiger Pistol lives alone! He will turn over your sandbed. Have fun!

Some pistol shrimp are not reef safe it just depends on the species ,by any chance do you now what kind it was?what color was it?

lol no, not really, I kinda got freaked out when it was making a loud clicking noise near my face. I do think it was mostly a purplish color

gbose

I got a pistol shrimp/YWG team from my LFS. So far, they seem fairly inoffensive. 'Bobcat' does dig up the sand a lot though, and I've had to start epoxying my rocks together to stop them falling over.

But they haven't molested my coral. I have had a couple of feather-dusters lost in the last couple of months, though; not sure if Bobcat is responsible....

GB

SeaSquirt05

this is my pair of ywg and their pistol shrimp friend. Never had a problem with them since i got them about 3 years ago.

IMG_1273.png

SeaSquirt05

yeah they are smaller....thats weird that your ywg is eating peperment shrimp..lol...i would take him out if thats the case.

I did it.....My LFS guy told me the more probably story of him eating an already dying/dead tang, and no one wanted to give him a new home. I took the plunge, so far, so good

Update: The pistol and my watchman have paired up! I was reading about the bullseye pistol, which I have, and they said it's not as likely to pair up with a goby, but I guess I'm lucky. It's so entertaining to watch them work together and watch the Goby protect and bring him things. For whatever reason, the goby brought him a piece of macro algae..The shrimp didn't really seem too enthused.

Pics or vid to come!