The New Red Sea Coral Pro salt mix

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Have not heard any reviews in awhile... how is everyone using the new Red Sea Coral Pro salt mix liking it?

p-27331-55348-fish-supply.jpg

saw it today on F & S site on sale up to 30% off & Free Shipping

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15483

175 gallons, CD-27332
$69.99 on sale for $54.99

I have been using Salinity and really like it, but this is a tempting deal :)

Tokalosh

To be honest I still have problems with it mixing clear.

The jury is still out and I'll let you know in a few months time if the tank doesn't crack.

I do find that the calcium levels are a little high.

Tok

Lloyd8

Hi mate I have the same feelings as tok, I find the calcium to be very high and i also have problems with it mixing clear. But on the other hand I do think my corals are growing a lot faster and everything in my new tank seems a lot happier.

reeferman

hey Glenn,im still using it and have been since the new formula came out.it mixes very clear for me.i mix it with cold water with a 500 gph pump and then bring it up to temp.mixing in a 35g brute.i love the salt and my tank does too.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I've used it since September 11', works great for me. Only time it mixes cloudy is when I warmed water prior to adding salt. Calcium is just right for me, mid 440-450. Clears within an hour, more like half hour. No complaints here.

reefer gladness

It's the only salt I've ever used so I can't really compare but it's working well for me. I mix for about 20-24 hours and never had any issues with cloudiness or excessive calcium levels. I rarely need to dose calcium, magnesium or use a buffer.

I weigh the salt out using a little digital scale and mix with 5 gallons of water and salinity is spot on every single time using a refractometer.

bhazard

It's the only salt I've ever used so I can't really compare but it's working well for me. I mix for about 20-24 hours and never had any issues with cloudiness or excessive calcium levels. I rarely need to dose calcium, magnesium or use a buffer.

I weigh the salt out using a little digital scale and mix with 5 gallons of water and salinity is spot on every single time using a refractometer.

I like it. Corals are doing great so far. Takes about an hour to mix clear.

ausreef

over here RS wont admit there's anything wrong with the new formula.still user error as far as they are concerned,lots of unhappy customers,you guys have a much larger market and more influence,so you may get looked after,i have given up ever using it again,not the waste of money so much as RS saying after 40 years of changing water every week that i am wrong,gone back to NSW
the price has plummeted over here, i think a lot of suppliers are finding it hard to move

jeffrey

I have been using the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt Mix since I purchased the tank, it came with it. Yesterday I did a water change with water that I had mixed and circulated for 12 hours and when I changed the water I still had salt particles flowing into the tank. Up until now that wasn't a problem because there weren't any fish in there but now I have an issue. After the water change I didn't have a problem with my live stock that I know but I wonder what stress they went through. Is there a most used, most popular salt that everyone has used for years that is recommended? I have also noticed that when I perfect my salinity my calcium is too high, not sure if this is due to the Red Sea Pro Salt Mix.

jayce913

Now Im not a slat expert or anything but I did take a few weeks on reading up on salts, if you are using salinity and can afford it from what Ive heard, stick with it imo. Now just speaking of coral pro salts, they are engineered for coral growth, unfortunately this can also lead to algae growth from the product, now if you keep a decent cleaning crew Ive been told this is not a problem. I also compared it to Brightwell along with salinity as my other main choices for good salt that wouldnt require me to use additives often. Overall I foudn Coral pro better then brightwell but would have liked to have been able to get some salinity, my lfs doenst carry it and honestly my pockets arent that deep.

Now when it comes to mixing, I had 0 particles and 0 residue left over form the mixing, that might be from my method though, I use a Maxijet 400 pump powerhead mode along with a jager 100W heater in a 44gallon brute trashcan. I let it mix in for 24 hours and had 0 problems at all with it mixing in clear and getting good salinity. My main problems were the very very vague instructions. It tells you how to mix by pound, which is of no help if you dont have a microscale. I figured out though that about 1 cup per 2 gallons would equal out to 1.24-1.25 SG. Again this is only from my first time ever mixing the salt which was 4 days ago, so Im not sure if it was the method I used to mix it or maybe I got a good batch bbut I ahvent seen any problems with it not disolving properly.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Just ordered it today. Ill let u know. Haven't used anything but io for years. !

........I have nothing intelligent left to say.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've been using RSCP for several months now... maybe longer LOL!

It mixes cloudy at first but clears in 1/2 - 1 hour and is clear as a bell after that. My coral seem to be thriving and I dose nothing. Cal - 450ish at sg 1.025

I mix approximately 1/2 cup per gallon
I mix "cool" and add heat after the mix is in the water.
I never use the last "handle" of water left in the bottom of the bucket because there are usually some solid particles left over (this is common among many salt mixes).
I let "Stew" for 24hrs and re-check parameters and adjust accordingly
I use a Koralia #3 for mixing purposes

At least for me I'm very pleased with RSCP salt mix and have no desire/need to change :) It's served me well and continues to do so (5g mixing to do WC tonight).

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks for the feedback everyone !!!
1085.gif

Still trying to decide if I want to change from my Seachem Aquavitro Salinity at $105 a bucket with tax here, you can only buy this salt from your lfs as they don't allow it to be marketed online (225 gallons to a bucket) it's great salt, but expensive. Salinity™ is the most concentrated salt blend on the market it mixes 2 cups to 5 gallons ( 1/2 cup less than most salts) for 1.026 versus - $55 for the Red Sea Coral Pro (delivered free) right now at F & S (175 gallons to a bucket) 2 and 1/2 cups per 5 gallons as most salts are.

All replies appreciated !

modulok

I tried a bucket, but my last salt purchase was Reef Crystals. Each time I mixed 5-15 gallons I would have the brown particles (Aviad said they are sand particles, and are not harmful). It mixes very quickly and clears up within an hour.

I made the change to Reef Crystals due to the reasons below.

RC = $49 for 200gal ($.245/gal)
CP = $55 for 175gal ($.314/gal

RC = 4x 50gal bags
CP = 1x 175gal bag (my bag had a hole, and the Red Sea bucket was also cracked. I tossed the CP salt bag into my first Instant Ocean bucket)

reefermagic

I also used io for years, when I started my new tank in april, I decided to use coral pro salt. At first I didnt like the way it mixed, I have found that using a wine de-gasser on a cordless drill works WONDERFUL and is ready to use in an hour or less. I turn on the drill and add salt slowly with a funnel, no residue or left over undissolved chunks.

ausreef

maybe its just me but i have honestly got better things to do than sit in front of a bucket with a cordless drill for an hour, and i wont put cloudy water in my tank,all i ask is that red sea admit they have stuffed up,they seem to be focusing all their effort on putting the onus on the user,face facts, everybody elses salt mixes clear,admit you're at fault,fix the problem and we'll all move on,were not going to sue you,we just want the issue resolved