The Nano is dead. Long Live THE 23!!!

Uslanja

Hi JandR! Thanks for the very nice compliment! This tank and its predecessor, "Our First Nano" have been allot of fun!

For lighting we are using a 36" T5 HO fixture by "AquaticLife". It is using 2 X 39 watts 10,000K daylight bulbs, 2 X 39 watts 420/460 actinic bulbs and 8 LED blue lunar bulbs evenly spaced in 4 groups of 2. The thing we love about this fixture besides the quality and workmanship is the built in lighting control timer. We would recommend one of these fixtures to anyone wanting a T5.

For filtration we are running an AC110 HOB that we modified for a refugium. There is a piece of Cheato in there for nitrate export as well as a place for pods to reproduce. We have a Honshu Pipefish and they like live foods, so we hopefully are getting some copepods from the refugium. In addition to that we were running a Marineland Penguin 200 HOB but we switched that out for a Fluval 205 canister filter last week. The main reason for the switch out was to eliminate the micro bubbles that were being created by the way the water returns to the tank. We maintain a regimented feeding and cleaning routine so at this point we are not concerned about the canister filter creating any additional nitrates. But time will tell if that is the case for us. In the canister filter we are running a filter sponge and a pouch of carbon in one of the trays. We may switch out the filter sponge for floss in one of the lower trays but that will be decided once we learn how well the sponge works and how good we can clean it. We want the sponge to grab the larger suspended particles but be porous enough to allow the phytoplankton that we feed through. The only other chemical filtration that we might use is "purigen". If we find that algae is becoming a problem we will run a bag or two of purigen for a while and see if that helps. But we are still very much in the settling in and learning stage on this tank. But it sure has been allot of fun!!

JandR

Awesome! Thanks! I own a grooming shop and am thinking of putting a little tank in the lobby area, not much room for anything over 20g though, cant fit another tank in our house I dont think unless we kick the kids out of thier bedrooms LOL JK. But mainly would like corals and such for the shop tank. I love the way your rock looks, but our lfs doesnt even sell any "live rock" just base rock so I am going to order some soon and start one up! But i'll be following your thread for sure!!

Uslanja

A full tank shot of how things are looking. The clarity of the water has greatly improved since we swapped out the Marineland HOB for a Fluval canister. We are pleased with the elimination of micro bubbles and time will tell if it continues to work for our tanks needs.

IMG_2683.jpg

Left side tank photo.

IMG_2678.jpg

Right side tank photo. (The fluval intake and return can be seen. We're planning on installing an overflow box and letting the fluval draw water from there instead of inside the tank. We're also hoping that will help to remove undesirables from the water surface.)

IMG_2679.jpg

We placed a feather duster in there a couple of weeks back and it has been growing its tube straight up into the water column from the substrate. The crown is growing and looking nice and full as well.

IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2688.jpg

And the littelest addition so far has been a small leather of some kind that we picked up on a piece of substrate rubble. When we first brought it home it was about 1/2 the hight of an astrea snail. It looks like it is growing and the polyps are extended into the water and wide open. So we think it is doing well?

IMG_2684.jpg

Uslanja

Hi shark32! Thanks!

Hi GrendelPrime! We lost both torch heads. The remaining two heads are flowing in the current and looking good - we think? There is something that we noticed, the tentacles that were in the two heads that we lost had retracted quite a ways into the skeleton and then they released themselves somehow and drifted in the current and then came to rest on the substrate. There are now two little clumps of tentacles on the substrate downstream from the torch coral and they are keeping their colour but not extending into the water flow. Not sure if they might start to grow again. Anyone ever see anything like that?

We also nipped the broken piece of frogspawn off and set it in a small divot in the rock. Hopefully the broken head will heal and the little "fragged" piece will grow. Time will tell.

We'll log back on later this evening and post some photos of the rouge torch tentacles. The Canadian Thanksgiving is in two weekends and we need to head out and process the turkeys that we raise. We have a small hobby/organic farm and we grow allot of our own vegetables, fruit and raise our own meat. We share our bounty with family and friends. Harvesting the livestock is the least enjoyable part of our lifestyle but a necessary one. The trees have turned, the sun is out, a slight breeze, cool temperature and overall a very beautiful fall day.

We'll put some more photos up later this evening.

Uslanja

The Duncans are doing well. They are a very fast feeding coral in that the tentacles will capture and close up around a piece of food much quicker than other corals that we have.

Duncans have settled in nicely.

IMG_2758.jpg

The Frogspawn appears to be recovering from it's break. The right hand head had a piece of the skeleton at the front broken out and being held in place by a few tentacles. We removed the broken piece and placed it in a rock divot. The damaged head appears to be opening up and filling out nicely. Time will tell if the "fragged" piece survives.

IMG_2757.jpg

This last photo is of a sponge. We are not sure what type of sponge but it is growing in somewhat of a "staghorn" shape. The location of this sponge is behind a rock and difficult to focus on due to glass refraction. We're still learning how to take a photo in that type of situation, but here is our attempt.

IMG_2760.jpg

GlassMunky

Not sure what kind of sponge it is, but i have TONS of them on the inner crevices of my LR. some got REAL big too, like 2-3" long. They come and go in "waves" in my tank.

Uslanja

Morning GlassMunky! The sponge is very interesting to look at. We have been watching it grow for some time now and it is finally getting big enough that we are hoping to get a good shot of it soon. We are looking forward to seeing how it grows. There are so many new and interesting things (albeit small at the moment) in our tank that we literally spend hours every morning and evening scouring with magnifying glasses. Many evenings we find that we have stayed up way to late checking out the tanks!

Uslanja

Spotted this worm out from its hole while the lights were on. When startled it retracted into it's hole in the blink of an eye. Very fast!

IMG_2766-copy.jpg

Uslanja

Hi JandR! We have several Eunicide worms. We have read where certain ones might not be suitable for a peaceful reef tank, but so far we haven't noticed these ones doing anything wrong. They sure do have a very serious looking mouth. Reminds us of the worms in the movie "Tremors". We're starting to notice that quite a few sci-fi creatures look allot like marine animals.

Uslanja

Here is a shot of two squirts (we think they are squirts) that have been growing on the side of one of the rocks. They are larger than the earlier posted photo and getting much easier to see. They have a shape similar to a paper wasp nest and the neatest colour and pattern that we have seen on any of our squirts so far. We do not know much about them. Anyone know of any links so that we can do more research?

IMG_2774.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Look like squirts (tunicates) to me too. I've seen similar ones patterned like that but can't remember where.

Uslanja

Here is a photo of another thing that we have been watching. We're not sure what it is. It coates the underside of a rock with a very thin skin/membrane and would be almost unnoticeable except for the mouth which is getting larger and more pronounced. Could it be a squirt, or a sponge, or ??

IMG_2785-copy_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Reefmack! Is a squirt and a tunicate the same thing?

Same thing. Just a guess but the new picture may also be one. I don't see sponges with a hole that is that well defined. The way it hugs the rock looks more like sponge though, or something totally different LOL!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
This is a tunicate/squirt that I once had - it was a hitchhiker underneath a finger leather I had. I could watch it open and close the siphons as it would pull in and then eject water.

Unknown2.jpg

Unknown-1.jpg

There are all kinds, shapes, colors and sizes of the these things, and some are colonial types with many small ones packed together. The one above was about 1.5 inches across - much larger than most I think.

Tunicates or Sea Squirts: A Wet Link by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

Uslanja

Thanks shark32!

Those are cool photos Reefmack! We think tunicates/squirts are some of the nicest finds! The closer we look the more we see!