The Nano is dead. Long Live THE 23!!!

glampka

Hi Dave,
Great choice for the tank. Miracle tanks are top notch. Many in the WNY area have special order tanks made by them. Their quality is superb. Give me a shout some day when you're planning a trip to SWP & we can hook up - a stop @ Mighty Taco will definitely be in order.

Uslanja

Hi Glampka! Your on! Mighty Taco clinched the deal!!! We could also check out "A Reef Creation". I'll let you know in a few days what my schedule is going to be.

glampka

Ok - just to warn you - this weekend is probably out since the weather is supposed to be BEAUTIFUL & as a result I'll be on the mighty Niagara all weekend enjoying copious amounts of liquid libation while overdosing on Vitamin D!

Uslanja

We added a few more crabs and snails. Heres one of the 12 red leg hermits that we added. These guys must have been hungry because they just started cleaning like mad. It sure is nice to see that!

IMG_6388.jpg

Uslanja

We picked up a torch coral tonight from Salt Water Paradise. As soon as we placed it in the tank it just opened right up and stretched out into the water flow. We think it likes it in there, but time will tell.

Here is a long shot showing the four heads. We know it might be hard to tell, but do you think the flow is too strong the way the tentacles are looking in the photo?

IMG_6357.jpg

Here is a close up of one of the heads. The mouth is open and we're hoping that means that it is already feeding and everything is OK.

IMG_6344.jpg

Garage1217

Very nice! Most every large tank owner will say "man I miss my nano" hahaha. And I sure still miss mine! Something special about a tiny ecosystem

Uslanja

Good morning everyone! We are still trying to decide if we have too much flow on the torch coral. The tentacles are pretty much staying pushed over as you see in the photos. There doesn't appear to be any swaying motion. Any ideas what we should watch for to help us make that decision?

IMG_6355.jpg

Uslanja

We moved the torch to a spot where it seems to be waving back and forth gently in the water column. We'll keep watching to make sure that it continues to do well there, but what should we watch for? Anyway, it seems to be happy there so hopefully we got it right!

Here it is in it's new spot!
IMG_1375.jpg

Uslanja

Well, we finally caught it! I should say that Tracy caught it! Seems like she has a better eye for detail and she spots things way before I do. Anyway, our morning started out like normal for a Sunday. We we're taking our time getting going and having our coffee in front of THE 23. And then in a flash Tracy is out of her seat and telling me to "get the light off the top of the tank, I see him"! Well, it is Sunday morning and I'm only on my first cup, so I'm not moving very fast. Before I can even get up Tracy is back with the tweezers and she's elbow deep in THE 23. Next thing I hear is "I got him, get me a bowl"! So without further adieu; we would like to present to you our "Polyclad Flatworm".

This little critter is just so interesting to watch as it just flows across the surface of the bowl. I find its colouring to be some very effective camouflage. We wish we could keep this guy but have read where they are predators and not to be considered reef safe.

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

Uslanja

Hi Reefmack! Thanks for the Melevsreef link. That is a great info site! We're still trying to figure out a way to keep this guy. Everything we have read so far states that they are carnivores and poisonous, so it looks like he's going to be a casualty. Check out this site for some really interesting info on flatworms:
Flatworms (Polycladida) on the Shores of Singapore

Uslanja

Hi GlassMunky! We had seen it out and about in the tank, and it was just so fascinating to watch. "In the wild" is where it belongs, so killing it is somewhat of a dilemma for us. Culling our tank is the hardest part of this hobby for us!

Uslanja

It was a shame to move him out, but we read where they can do quite a bit of damage!

A few more shots;

Tracy's Yuma is looking real nice!
IMG_1585.jpg

The mushrooms are doing well also.
IMG_1586.jpg

This mushroom now has two more on the plug with it. (The third little mushroom is out of sight).
IMG_1587.jpg

A recent FTS just to show how things are settling in and cleaning up.
IMG_1580.jpg