The Bluespot Club

tbaquatics

RS Sponsor
On another note, ours is fine. He's back, out and eating. Daughter named him spock. Don't know why, since she has no idea about star trek.

On another note, my supplier now ships them in a pvc pipe with netting on the end. Seems like it helps reduce stress, but I can't imagine how they get them in there without stressing them out a ton.

bluespotjawfish

I heard someplace that some are caught that way too. Maybe that was Pearlys. I think it is a great idea.

I'm glad to hear your BSJF is back!

lcstorc

That's how my LFS always gets pearlys. It really confused me the first time I saw a tank full of tubes with netting on the end.

SeahorseBT

Leave him alone. You've got a handicapable jawfish!

BTW, didn't you get one of those from me?

No, I had one from you but he mysteriously died. One night he was not eating and the next day he was twitching and could not swim right. Someone here suspected cyanide.

tbaquatics

RS Sponsor
No, I had one from you but he mysteriously died. One night he was not eating and the next day he was twitching and could not swim right. Someone here suspected cyanide.

Definitely not cyanide. He came from one of the top wholesalers in CA. Plus I don't think cyanide is used in Baja. How long did you have him?

Basser1

Hey All! Hope everyone and their Blues' are doin' fine! I ran across this pic of an amazing looking fish and thought I'd share it. Besides the personality of our Blues' what else attracted you to the BSJF? Well, for me, it was the "Blue Spots" of course!! So check out the blue spots on this terrific looking fish......

The Blue Spot Grouper

bluespottedgrouperum4.jpg

SeaMunky

HAPPY HAUNTING MY FRIENDS!!!!
Wow after 3 days of reading this entire thread from start to finish..I am done..and I am so glad I took the time..What a great group yous have here..Alot of much needed info as well..
How many of you still have your blues?..
I am in canada, and I am finding it rather challenging to obtain one..but rest sure I aint giving up that easy!!..
It would making home in my 40g with my Banggai Breeders and my mated clowns..ohh and my scooter blenny..
I think it should be ok..no?..
My only question is..how do yous deal with the results of the sand being stirred?.Nitrates, Amonia ect?..Doesnt this kinda throw it outta whack?..I would just like to be on top of things thats all..
Cant wait to join!!..

SeahorseBT

Hello Seamunkey. Theses fish ony build a small burrow so there is not any spike at all unless you have a really deep sand bed. The front page has a current list of people who have BSJF.

lcstorc

The deeper the sand bed the better but there really isn't a problem since it is constantly being turned over. The sand never has a chance to build up the bacteria so you don't have to worry about it being disturbed. I have my 2. Precious as always.
The one thing you want to be very very certain of is a closed lid. Egg crate alone is not enough. They can and will jump through egg crate and the smallest hole left anywhere. I can't stress this enough. This is the cause of more bluespot deaths than anything else.
They are truly a joy to have.

lcstorc

If you want blue spots but not a bluespot how about the adult red coris wrasse. I have one halfway through the change in my 125 right now. It is so cool to watch the front half look orange and white and the back have flourescent blue spots.

Attachments

• 3849608092.jpg
    3849608092.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 31
  • coris_gaimard.jpg
    coris_gaimard.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 31

bluespotjawfish

SeaMunky - :welcomera

Basser - No fair cheating!

Lynn - I had one of those a long time ago. It was fun watching it change color as it grew up.

SeaMunky

Thanks yous all so much for the great welcome :)
My sand is about 3-3.5" I think..

BLUESPOT: Do you know off hand where in the thread you posted that pic of your blue flashing?..I want to show my hubby...

Well Big Als here in my home town wants ...u ready?...$250..omggggggggggggg
So back to there drawing board..hahaha.I will find one ...

lcstorc

Check LiveAquaria Diver's Den. They often have them and have great quarratine procedures. If you by one from a LFS insist on seeing it eat before purchasing. That is another large cause of death.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
BLUESPOT: Do you know off hand where in the thread you posted that pic of your blue flashing?..I want to show my hubby...

Well Big Als here in my home town wants ...u ready?...$250..omggggggggggggg
So back to there drawing board..hahaha.I will find one ...

Here's Lorraine's flashing BS video. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/bluespot-club/23683-lorraines-bluespot-heaven-18.html#post538598

Unfortunately I would expect the price for this species to be higher in Canada as they are imported, possible twice, once through the US and then Canada.

SeaMunky

Hi Lynn..
I am gonna check them out right now..Keeping me fingers crossed..

Hiya Scott!!..Ya see that kinda freaks me out too..One would think that maybe I would be at higher rish for demise of these little guys being so far away..?
Ohh I hope not..I want one soooooo bad..

lcstorc

Hmm I wonder if Live Aquaria ships to Canada, I know they keep them for several weeks and make sure they are eating before they send them back out. That would significantly reduce the stress of the double transport.