The Bluespot Club

SeahorseBT

I'm sure it will be super fat and healthy! This guy is going to need a name. Maybe going with the Flintstones theme, Pebbles or Bam Bam. Any other suggestions?

SeahorseBT

oh, I should have given out the tracking #. Too late now because he his now in acclimation! He got here 9:40. The UPS was carrying the box on its side! WHAT AN IDIOT! The new guy looks a little stressed, he is lying on his side so I put in a small rock but he still lays there. Every 5 min, he swims around the entire bucket, he wants out! I hope he's ok. Great colors on this guy

SeahorseBT

still breathing heavy and lying on the side. Should I wait for this to stop before putting him in the tank? (Using a drip loop) It has been 15 min, I will wait another 45.

SeaHorse, how long do you plan to drip him? Any fish I get off of online, I drip NO LESS than 2 hours. I would let him drip another 1/2 hour, pour out some of the water in his container, let him drip another 1/2 hour and repeat. The last 1/2 hour of drip you can probably turn it up a little more, but YES, I would definitely let him calm a little more before dumping into the tank.

Craig Manoukian

I would say lights out, cover the bucket if you haven't already done so, and wait to move it. I'd put him in lights out when it perks up. Do you have a PH or airstone in the bucket?

SeahorseBT

No air stone should I? I have the cover on now and plan to acclimate him 1hour 30 min to 2 hours. I have ordered online before and the fish usually don't lie on their sides like this. Is it behevior of the species?

I think BSJF are a little more sensitive than others ... of course I've only owned mine for about a month now, so don't take me entirely at that. He may have gotten some extra stress, especially if you say the UPS guy was carrying the box on it's side ... who knows what happened on the truck, etc.

The air stone would probably help with the oxygen levels while acclimation is happening, if you have one it won't hurt anything to do so. I would keep checking him every 15 minutes and see if he's improved any. Definitely do a longer drip for him though ... keep us posted. :)

vdituri

Dang, anyone know the link the Lee's acclimation post?

On that post it says adding a airstone to the water will cause a quick change in PH. She actually recommends a quicker acclimation. I'll see if I can find it.
I THINK it was float to acclimate temperature and then just add to tank. The fish has been through alot already.

Somebody else may have that post bookmarked.
Wait, found it.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/27305-acclimation-i-know.html

Hope the little guy holds on for you.

WOW, a few things I didn't know, thanks for posting this Victor, going to bookmark it. I've never personally used an airstone while acclimating, but didn't think it would cause harm, now I know. TERRIFIC INFORMATION!

BarbMazz

Victor, I've read quicker acclimation for a stressed fish as well. I'm sure in Lee's guide.

The reasoning is that the bag and bad water are the stressors, so you want to get them out of that situation more quickly than you would otherwise.

Good luck to Blue Spot, SeaHorse!

SeahorseBT

ok the air stone is out,he is breathing normal now, and swimming a lot. He jumped about an inch in the air when I took out the air stone. I think he will be ok.

Craig Manoukian

Good point Victor, I completely forgot about that condition with long distance shipping.

I floated to temp, poured out the water keeping the fish in the plastic bag, and then dumped into a lights tank when I received over night shipments. Never lost a fish.

BarbMazz

ok the air stone is out,he is breathing normal now, and swimming a lot. He jumped about an inch in the air when I took out the air stone. I think he will be ok.

Phew! Keep us posted, if you can... maybe he needed just a bit of oxygen? Sometimes just a tiny bit of something is all that's needed. TLC, you know?

tbaquatics

RS Sponsor
Yeah, no airstone..adjust ph too quickly. I'd recommend following the guide I included. Make sure as you acclimate you remove some of the water, so it becomes more and more like your tank water.

Remember, BSJs get a lot more stress because they are used to being in a burrow. If you notice, without it they curl up in a u shape.

Certainly the blind UPS guy not noticing the large arrows and handle with care, perishable, didn't help.