The Bluespot Club

Basser1

Thanks Lynn! He is really digging now, so I think I will call him "Digger". I took this photo before reading your post; however, he does not seem to mind at all.

Hey Cool, Here's my Digger wavin' HELLO to your Digger!

hpim2329js9.jpg

Anselth

Nervous and excited...Mine's on its way from Pacific East. He is apparently taking the long way (MD to KY to Philly), but he should be here today. Is it normal to wake up at 5 and not be able to sleep?

lcstorc

Yes. Perfectly normal for Blue owners. I started getting up early just so I could watch Sunshine for a good 30 min before I had to leave.

OK confession time. I went to the LFS yesterday to find out when my new stand will get here and get a couple of basics like carbon and phosban. Of course I had to ask about the blues and when he told me they were both there I had to stop in for a visit. They both look great but the one is absolutely spectacular. I couldn't find a difference in mouth size but this one is significantly darker on the back half so I am hoping that is one of the male/female differences. Regardless I am pretty sure Sunshine is a girl and either a girl/boy or a girl/girl combo ought to be ok.
So I told him to put a sold sign on him and that I would pick him up when the tank switchover. I think that would be the best timing since the tank will be taken apart anyway so they will both have a "new" tank at the same time. I really hope it goes well. I am very nervous.
Meanwhile my LFS guys says I am the only person he knows who had had a blue stay alive this long. That made me feel like I am doing something right.
So unless something happens in the next week or two I will have 2 blues building away. The tank should certainly be bit enough. It is a 90 with only 2 firefish and a mandarin.
Of course I will keep you all updated.

Basser1

That's great Lynn. I'll be anxious to see how the 2 get along. BTW, how ling have you had Sunshine. I've had Digger for almost 6 months now!

lcstorc

I think about 3-4 months but I would have to check to be sure. Apparently they tend to die almost immediately when he sells them. These guys have been at the store for well over a month and the one I chose is major fat with the other not far behind. They both look perfect. No frayed fins or white spots so I figured if I was ever going to do it now was the time. Since the tank has to be completely torn down and put back up it should be new territory for both of them. Needless to say, I am very nervous. I would feel horrible if something happened to either or them. I may try a glass divider first and see if there appear to be any problems and I could move one to the 20 gallon if I need to since it has a pretty deep sandbed but I would really love to see them like each other and hang out together.

Techno-Vicki

Basser, my Digger says hi to your Digger:D
Lorraine, I think the mandarin keeps bugging him because it is one of the mandarin's 'hang out' spots. Although the mandarin is not aggressive, he is certainly pestering digger.

Lynn, congratulations! I bet you are right about the coloration designating the sex of the fish. So what sex is my Digger?

Here are a few pics. Madarin bugging him, saying hi to Digger, and out for feeding time.

hi-digger.jpg

BSJF10001-1.jpg

BSJF10001_1-1.jpg

BSJF10001_3-1.jpg

madarin_attack2.jpg

Craig Manoukian

Coolio Basser1`!

Great news Lynn, I'm sure your two BSJF will get alo9ng swimmingly!

Fabulous photos Vicki!

Adam, congrats and we need pics!

Techno-Vicki

Thanks Craig and Victor!

You know Lynn, you made me think about getting another one. I probably need to wait until Digger is fully established though.

Anselth

Lynn, I have read that one of the sexes (I think it was male, but I can't remember) will change color slightly during breeding season. Unfortunately, I didn't bookmark the page, but if I come across it again, I will post the link.

bluespotjawfish

August - bottom half turns white (if you have a pair)

Lynn - March 28, 2008 is what I have for Sunshine's bday. I think you are right about her being a girl. Congrats on the newbie!

Anselth - Oh, I can't wait for pics!

Basser - You are doing great with Digger! 6 months is awesome!

Vicki - My mandarin was hanging out this morning w/BJ. A few days ago my koralia pump got aimed at the sand and so Mr. BJ had a storm in his den. He has rebuilt in the same place. He is stuck like glue to that spot! The storm made my fungia go crazy fleshy. I didn't know they did that!

Here are some pics. The same day the storm hit BJ, my neighbor's house burned up (from their BBQ'r). That was a $150,000 picnic, holy cow - be careful!

Attachments

• P1070450_edited-sm.JPG
    P1070450_edited-sm.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 27
  • P1070435_edited-sm.JPG
    P1070435_edited-sm.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 27
  • P1070470_edited-sm.JPG
    P1070470_edited-sm.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 27