Terry's 450g upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelastmucci

Terry congrats on the ever growing tank and the carpet removal...I can't imagine what my parents rug looks like under all of it...smokers, cats, dogs, and spills what a nightmare that's going to be if they ever do something with it.

JoJo

we had the same problem when we purchased this house, the bedrooms had not one, but two layers of nasty, stinking, filthy carpet. i pulled it out the same day we closed on the house. there's no way i could have carpet with a Rottweiler shedding all over the place

congrats on the progress of the stand Terry.

tbittner

Thanks Jonas. It's coming along and growing.

Carpet is SO nice to walk on though and so easy on the feet. It just wasn't a good place for it. I'm not sure what we'll lay down now though. Probably a vinyl tile.

tbittner

The stand for the predator tank is actually coming along nicely! I talked to glass cages yesterday afternoon and the tank will be delivered this Saturday morning. Then we'll take it home and sit it up on the stand. Then it will be picnic time! Lots of food, friends, and fun. Everyone is invited, of course. We should have plenty of help for moving the tank though, so come for the fun. :)

BarbMazz

Fortunately, we didn't need the generator for long but now I know everything works and I can keep the tanks alive. Not to mention, I can relax and watch a little tv too. :D

(that last one is for Barb... :lol: )

We got the legs cut, glued together, and angle iron braces installed for the predator stand. We have to let that dry until tomorrow evening. Non tank related, we finished ripping out the carpet in the theater room too. NASTY!!! YIKES!!! I can't believe we walked on that NASTY carpet. I went and scrubbed myself in the shower trying to get all the NASTY stuff off of me. It was just NASTY!

(did I mention that the carpet was nasty? :lol:)

It took me a few days, Terry, but I caught this! BAD tv, BAD. lol

I'm glad to read about the carpet, and I'll tell you why. We're finishing the basement, and are/were considering carpet because it's, well, CHEAPER. Now that I read your experience I know we have to put in some hard flooring. NO CARPET.

Carpet is just as nasty as Stoopid TV! :eek:h: ;)

tbittner

I was considering putting in something like Pergo, but water ruins it too. So we're back to either vinyl, ceramic, and just plain old paint.

BarbMazz

I was considering putting in something like Pergo, but water ruins it too. So we're back to either vinyl, ceramic, and just plain old paint.

We considered cork flooring for the main floor of the house; maybe we'll look into that for the basement at least in the bedrooms. Or maybe in the media area, too. It's warm, sound- and shock-absorbing. Not sure how water will affect it, though. Hafta look into that.

In the tank equipment room we put down un-glued vinyl flooring. It's great! It's designed for no glue and it lays down really nice. We got it at Lowe's. It's not bad looking, either.

BarbMazz

I'm thinking it stains the outside, but doesn't actually absorb. If it absorbed it would eventually wick up to the top of the cork, no? Hmm. Have to pop open a bottle when I get home. Assuming it's real cork in there.. I know there are lots of vintners using artificial cork now.

nikkipigtails

They are actually making a lot of advances in cork flooring and it's becoming as durable as wood floors...I would just stain the concrete, I think that looks really cool.

BarbMazz

Splitting hairs, discoloration = some level of absorption, eh? Expiementation in moderation is good.

Artificial cork is impervious, maybe that would work, eh?

Naw, it's not splitting hairs! When we were looking into cork for our floors we saw that it's even used in bathrooms.

Here's some interesting cork facts:
cork: Definition, Synonyms and Much More from Answers.com

It may indeed be a good basement flooring product. It also resists mold, mildew and rot.

tbittner

About three months ago, Dominion power scheduled a six hour outage so they could "increase capacity and improve service". Before they did this work, it had been years since we lost power. SINCE the work, we lost power once for 4 hours, we lost power last night for 7 hours.

Time to make a phone call..... :rocket: :bluemad: :chainsaw: :mad: :banghead: :verymad: :grr:

(thankfully, we have a generator that keeps all the pumps on the tanks running, and the tv downstairs. Can't live without tv. :lol: )

Ratpack

About three months ago, Dominion power scheduled a six hour outage so they could "increase capacity and improve service". Before they did this work, it had been years since we lost power. SINCE the work, we lost power once for 4 hours, we lost power last night for 7 hours.

Time to make a phone call..... :rocket: :bluemad: :chainsaw: :mad: :banghead: :verymad: :grr:

(thankfully, we have a generator that keeps all the pumps on the tanks running, and the tv downstairs. Can't live without tv. :lol: )

Note to self, do not tell Terry I have relatives working for Dominion Power!!:doh:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Note to self, do not tell Terry I have relatives working for Dominion Power!!:doh:
Thats GOOD news! Time to call in some "Favors" for a friend then :) I have a friend on our Power Team here and it helps a LOT! I call him and "Things" change.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.