Terry's 450g upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbittner

I've been documenting the 450g upgrade in my 120g money pit thread. I figured this tank is worth it's own thread. I hope the mods don't mind me having another thread. :)

This is the room where the tank is going to go. It's going to go against the wall to the right of the door.
c5e6ad8c.jpg

41bb4f66.jpg

Since the tank is going to block the door, we opened up the wall and made a large open doorway.
dc6c9d94.jpg

This is the tank. In this pic, it's still very dirty but we've cleaned it since then.
e405a0b3.jpg

And the stand that the tank will sit on.
fae2f17f.jpg

b126c03d.jpg

tbittner

I should finish tiling the room tonight. We just finished painting the area with latex primer so the tiles will stick. The plan then would be to move the stand into place, one piece at a time, and level each piece as we put the stand back together.

The tank is 120x24x36. I would have loved a bit more width and a little less height BUT I'm sure the tangs will LOVE the 10 feet horizontal swimming room. :D

For lighting, I'm going to use my 48" Outer Orbit for now and I ordered a 72" Solaris I series. That gives me 10 feet of lighting. Eventually I'll replace the Outer Orbit with a 48" Solaris but I'm sure it will work fine for now.

The 450 will be plumbed into my 330g sump so all that equipment is already in place and working great. I already have the Sequence Hammerhead here that I'll use to run the closed loop.

I'll get pictures of the remade/reconfigured room tomorrow evening before we move the stand. :)

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Unbelievable! I was thinking about coming out this weekend, tell me what day is best. Sat or Sun?

Jason25

I bet your wife is loving having her house torn up, keep up the good work I will be following along on this.

tbittner

Scott, either day is good. We aren't going ANYWHERE after last weekend. :lol:

I sure would appreciate your help! :)

I figure we'll get the stand in place this week. Then I'll get the bulkheads I need to plumb the tank and we can do that over the weekend. That's going to take a bit of head scratching I'm sure. AND a few trips to Lowes. :lol:

Jason, the huge hole in the wall was caused BY my wife. I was just going to move the doorway over. I was working on ripping out the carpet and when I turned around, she had a HUGE hole in the wall. Oh well. It looks good now. :)

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
OK, Sat, it is. PM me your address and I'll Mapquest my way there.

I showed these pictures to Ghia and her eyes popped out of her head! :lol:

tbittner

PM sent. Thank you!!! :)

OK! An aquarium room is (almost) BORN!!!

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

We need to cut the pieces of tile to finish next to the wall. We're probably going to rip out the little wall to the right that is covering up a support post and do something else with that. Not sure what yet. The electric socket that is on the wall will be moved up and probably reversed so it's facing into the pump room. I'll run the cords for the lights up into the ceiling and bring them down into the pump room. All my controller hardware is in that room too.

By gumby, I believe this is going to work!!! :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I sure would appreciate your help! :)
Aww man I Wanna help!! Yall need to move closer to me. *Pouts seriously*

Jason, the huge hole in the wall was caused BY my wife. I was just going to move the doorway over. I was working on ripping out the carpet and when I turned around, she had a HUGE hole in the wall. Oh well. It looks good now. :)
:lol: that a girl! Tear some STUFF UP! I Love it!!

tbittner

:lol:

You got that right, Al! She really is pretty good at this stuff. She isn't afraid to get dry wall dust in her hair, up her nose, pretty much every where. I hate dry wall. I'm glad we are pretty much done with that stuff.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I hear ya bro! Drywall SUCKS!! So does painting & staining :)

Man I would love to hang with yall and help... well learn more than help... but I make one heck of a gofer... go fer this and go fer that :)

tbittner

My dad is one of those people who can do any of these things and do them right. I must of learned something from helping him for all those years. :lol:

Patti is already talking about changing the color of the room. Something more of a tan to make the aquarium stand stand out more. I don't know much about color schemes so I leave that completely up to her. :)

One thing worth mentioning. I know the stand will hold the aquarium because the previous owner had this tank sitting on it and he had a reef. But on the bottom of the stand are installed self leveling feet. I was shocked! I had no idea that they could hold that amount of weight. Obviously the builder of the stand knew what he was doing though and they DO hold that amount of weight. I'll get pictures of the bottom of the stand tomorrow evening when we move it into place.

kathywithbirds

ooooooooooo I likey!!!! No offense to Billy but I think I like the dimensions of this one better. Nice and long along a wall instead of sticking out of a wall alot.

tbittner

I agree, Kathy. I really like the 10 feet of length. I think it gives a lot more room to build a reef. I also think that bigger fish will be happy in it. At least, I hope. :)

I know, I know, one thing at a time... But we are going to get another tank that will be 96x24x36 to match this one and bring it off in an "L" from the corner of this one to house our predators. That's the plan anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.