TB's 67g custom project

Tigahboy

thanks for the comments, everyone! I've decided to have a separate (not shared) return pump for my prop tank component of my custom project; but of course both the prop tank and 67g will share the same sump/fuge tank. Just easier for me to do it this way b/c I can run the prop tank ahead of time (prop + sump/fuge) w/ the contents of my current 30g and nanocube 6, while letting the 67g tank (circulation to be maintained by closed loop alone) cycle for a good few months on its own before I decide to add anything.

Then down the road, with a simple twist of a ball valve here and there, all 3 components will become one.

Well...that's the plan for now at least. my plans keep changing (thus the dozen or so trips to home depot to reconfigure my pvc plumbing), so who knows how it will end up.

Tigahboy

I also finished the dry-fitting (and some pvc cementing) of my prop tank plumbing.

I left the manifold/return line out of the pic for clarity. But I just wanted to share my overflow/drain plumbing configuration w/ y'all.

So first water will flow thru my durso standpipe. which actually runs very quiet. I just assumed I would've needed to fiddle w/ the hole size at least, but it worked out great when I did a test-run w/ water.
pvcda.jpg

Then down and under the tank
pvcdb.jpg

Swings to the left on its way to the sump/fuge - ball valve to shut off overflow if necessary and plenty of pvc unions for quick disconnects.
pvcd1.jpg

Then it curves away from door and makes a 90 degree turn into the sump/fuge (I'm planning on changing this to a 45 degree turn tho after I make another home depot trip)
pvcd2.jpg

Then some of the flow (a small amount) will go thru this first ball valve into the fuge section.
pvcd3.jpg

pvcd4.jpg

Then the rest of the flow (the majority of the flow) will go thru the second ball valve straight into the skimmer intake section.
pvcd5.jpg

And usually this last ball valve will be in the 'off' position, but when I need to do a water change, I'll simply turn the skimmer section ball valve to the 'off' position and open up this third ball valve to take out water from the overall 67+prop set-up via a bucket.

pvcd6.jpg

I'll take pics of the return/manifold plumbing tomorrow

Tigahboy

so far no leaks yet...but I'm dreading the moment when I realize I didn't cement enough and find my floors soggy from leaky pipes. =/

Gina

RS STAFF
That's a heck of a description w/pics! Good job.
Easy to follow and understand.

Maxx

TB,
Good work on the plumbing...looks like it took alot of planning. Just a thought for soggy floors..
Home Depot and Lowes both sell a Water alarm by watchdog....think fire alarm (120 decibels) but for water. It works on a 9 volt battery goes off when water, (or your finger in order to test it) connects the circuit between two metal discs on the bottom of the alarm. It only costs about 10.00...should be in the basement sump pump section of the store..

That way you get an immediate response to leaks.....

Nick

mikej11

Great plumbing Tigah. This looks a lot like a swimming pool filter system. This will work great for water changes. You could hook up a bucket or container for your new saltwater (water changes) inline with your sump plumbing or where ever you want your new water to go. This container would have a ball valve on it, so it could drain into the plumbing.

Mike J.

Tigahboy

Max - good stuff! I didn't even know that existed. I'll definitely pick one up on my next trip to Home Depot (which has become virtually a daily ritual now).

Mike - that's funny you say that b/c I don't know what a pool filter set-up looks like, but I was taking some advice from a guy who works on pools. haha.

mikej11

Well... I'll give you an idea.

This is dual Sand Filters.

Pool Water enters the top and pumps out the bottom back to pool. On the left is the Backwash connection. This is like your water change tap.

Let me look around some more. This should be in my CPO book.

Mike J.

Tigahboy

that looks crazy, mike. haha.

oh, and I just got my OM Super Squirt in the mail today! So I can finish up my plumbing now. =)

mikej11

Ok Tigah -- I found what I was looking for.

Check this out.
Pool_Filter1.JPG

This should give a better idea of what I was talking about.

Enjoy.

Mike J.

Last edited:

mikej11

No. Unless you want to. I think that is was a great idea to add the plumbing for your water changes. I will incorperate this idea into my 180 gl, when I set it up down the road.

Mike J.

Tigahboy

I'm almost done w/ the OM Super Squirt plumbing...ugh, I'm sooooo tired. haha. I think I'm going to grow to hate plumbing and pvc very very soon.

Here's some pics:

om1.jpg

om2.jpg

om3.jpg

om4.jpg

om5.jpg

om6.jpg