TB's 67g custom project

Gina

RS STAFF
We have a ASM G1X skimmer in a 10x13" area. It fits just fine! We had to build a new sump actually for it to fit in since the other one wouldn't have worked.

With your diagram above, the G1X at least would work. Not sure what the measurments of the G2X are.

TDEVIL

sweet
it looks like they really do fine work :)

if you have to mess with the loc-line again, try heating them up a bit with a hair dryer or hot water (dont burn your self), this will expand the plastic and make it easier to install :)

Jay

Tigahboy

Thanks for input and comments everyone!

I took some measurements:
tbsump9.jpg

gina - do you think the 7.5" opening/clearance is enough to easily move the ASM G1-x in and out? Also, the height inside stand is roughly around 28", is that enough clearance to easily remove the collection cup? thanks for the input thus far!

Gina

RS STAFF
The height in our stand is also 28". I just measured it. Our sump is a 10g glass aquarium and is 12 1/2'' high. You will be able to get the skimmer in with a little manuvering. We can also easily empty our cup without any problems.

I just measured the distance we have from the opening. Top of the stand to sump and it is about 14'' for us. I measured the width of the sump itself and got about 6 possibly 6 1/2''.

I think for you to get your skimmer in, you will probably have to turn it on it's side and put it in that way. The skimmer should definately fit in your sump it's just getting it in since you don't have alot of room for clearance.

HTH

Gina

RS STAFF
I think with looking at your diagram again, it's gonna be a fit tight getting it in but, not impossible. The skimmer itself is about 21'' high.

Tigahboy

hmmm...good points. I'll have to think it over. the G1 may be an easier solution; but G1-x is just a little more bang for the buck. thanks, Gina!

Gina

RS STAFF
One more thing...you can pull the pump off and just attach it once it's in the sump. That might help you also!

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
That is one awesome setup .. and top notch components too.
That light fixture is awesome!!
SoCalCreations does great work, when I was living the land of expensive homes (SoCal) I was going to have them make my new tank & sump.

Tigahboy

sorry for being MIA. hehe. I've been working on some side projects as well.

The 67g is still in the plumbing stage since I'm waiting for my OM Super Squirt to arrive. Once that arrives, I should be good to go.

Also, I decided to add a prop tank in-line w/ the 67g set-up. I bought a glass 24x24x12 (very nice dimensions) and the stand at an LFS. It fits PERFECTLY in the closet and I still have room off to the sides. And this prop tank is in a great spot since the closet is right next to my 67g set-up.

I plan to pick-up a Reeflo Dart Sequence pump tomorrow so I can share one pump for both returns.

Here's some pics of the prop tank. Pics of plumbing progress will be up later.

prop0404a.jpg

prop0404b.jpg

Tigahboy

I searched far and wide w/ LFS's and glass manufacturing/repair businesses locally. NOBODY w/in a reasonable distance from West L.A. cuts glass. Some LFS guy even said "good luck" in a sarcastic tone after telling me no. And the home depot folks looked at me like I was smokin crack when I asked for tools to cut a circular hole in a glass tank.

So I sucked it up and headed over to Reef Collection in Huntington Beach (my first time over at that store). They did a great job and I bought a nice colony of acan while I was there (they have great coral selection as well - comparable to Tong's).

Here's some pics:

prop0404c.jpg

prop0404d.jpg

And w/ bulkhead
prop0404e.jpg

I'm just going to have a simple overflow (1" pipe coming straight from the bottom of tank) w/ some type of coupler w/ netting at the top (or maybe a stockman-style). Nothing fancy since it's going to be a prop tank only (not a display).

Tigahboy

I'm playing around w/ a manifold loop, but I might just ditch it since I only have 1" overflow at the bottom of my tank and I don't think it can handle the flow necessary to make the manifold useful. and it's also an eye sore, so I don't know if I'll like it just hanging at the top.

here's some pics:

manifold consists of 1" pipe (i know, better to use bigger but that's all I had on hand), and it reduces to 1/2" elbows.
prop405c.jpg

Held up at the top of tank by mini-clamps.
prop405d.jpg

I still need to find my other 2 mini-clamps, but here's how it should look.
prop405e.jpg

Tigahboy

got my protein skimmer today

ASM G1-x - fits perfectly in my custom sump.

67g0407a.jpg

thanks, Gina for your input; it helped a lot in choosing this skimmer.

mikej11

All the stuff looks great TB. What pump are you using for the prop tank? Will you be using 2 (Display and Prop) or just one?

Mike J.

Tigahboy

Hey Mike,

I'm going to try and use 1. I have to reconfigure some of my plumbing tho to accomodate a reeflo dart sequence. those suckers have HUGE inlet/outlets.

Tigahboy

Plumbing Progress

Made a lot of progress today in terms of plumbing. A lot of twists and turns, but this is the best I can do considering I still have to plumb the OM Super Squirt. =/

67g0410a.jpg

Gina

RS STAFF
Looks like things are coming along well!
Glad to have helped with the skimmer!
Plumbing looks awesome!