TB's 67g custom project

Tigahboy

Tarasco said:
Are you having socal build the sump too? Those guys are good. Why did you have the piping from the overflow go through the back of the tank, instead of the bottom? Did you build the stockman yourself? Looks like it's going to be a great setup.

Yes, I plan to have socal build the sump/fuge as well. They definitely do a top-notch job on their custom projects. They made the stockman for me actually. I asked to have it low on the back instead of the bottom just b/c I heard some folks having probs w/ the bottom overflow. I'm sure it's perfectly fine to have it come out the bottom, but I was just being overly paranoid.

I also made 3D versions of the above diagram since the top-down view was a little confusing.

Here they are:

fuge3d1.jpg

fuge3d2.jpg

Tigahboy

and here's a diagram of the plumbing where the overflow pvc splits...all of this should be located in the stand:

fugepvc1.jpg

TDEVIL

very nice

one thing :) before you glue the plumbing where the overflow splits, you might want to test it first to make sure it is going to work they way you want it to
water will find the easiest way, you might need to put the valve on the skimmer side to give it some backpressure so it will flow into the fuge side

just a thought :)

Jay

Tigahboy

made some progress

Okay...not a lot...but I did what I could in the window of time I had between classes.

I at least got all the bulkheads on and placed the loc-line tubing in for the 2 return bulkheads.

Here's some pics...

Used (100%) silicone glue on the bulkheads.

p0309a.jpg

Applied it just on the tank wall side rubber gasket then on some of the threading...

p0309b.jpg

Placed bulkhead thru hole (rubber gasket/ring stays on the inside-end), screwed in place. And then done.

p0309c.jpg

p0309d.jpg

Loc-line tubing
Set-up the loc-line and screwed them into the two returns (from sump).

p0309g.jpg

Used a loc-line piece w/ a side nozzle to help serve as a siphon break to limit back-siphoning when pumps are turned off. I'll probably drill an extra hole just in case.

p0309f.jpg

Here are the pieces I used just for the 2 returns. The 4 other holes for the closed loop will have Y connectors to split the loc-line tubing.

p0309e.jpg

But yeah...getting the loc-line pieces to connect was actually a little more difficult than I expected. haha. those suckers fit snug as a bug. And I had my first tank-related injury as a result. I was trying to push the ball into the receiving loc-line socket and it caught a little piece of my skin. blood and sweat is necessary. yess!

p0309h.jpg

chris-miranda

watch yourself there tb you better get that checked out by a doctor before it becomes infected and your finger falls off :):) awesome tank keep up the great job the stand also was impressive :)

Tigahboy

thanks chris-miranda!

I took a study break and decided to finally set-up my new aqua medic ocean lights...
67mh0309g.jpg

Aqua Medic Ocean Light fixture - 2x250w DE HQI w/ Phoenix 14K bulbs + 2x39w T5 Actinic blues...

W/ T5's only
67mh0309a.jpg

W/ T5's + Phoenix 250w DE 14K MH's
67mh0309b.jpg

Tigahboy

I really like how the ocean lights come w/ the shades now. No more getting blinded by the bulbs.

Both MH and T5's on...
67mh0309d.jpg

Just MH's...I wish I had corals in there to show you the difference. haha. oh well.
67mh0309e.jpg

Just T5 actinic blues...
67mh0309f.jpg

Tigahboy

Finally picked up the custom sump/fuge!

designed by me. made by socalcreations.com. here it is:

tbsump1.jpg

tbsump2.jpg

The eggcrate is to hold chemipure (activate carbon) and whatever other filter media. The front compartment is for skimmer and water flows left to right thru baffles.
tbsump3.jpg

Tigahboy

The TB Sump fits perfectly inside my custom stand (thanks again socalcreations!).

tbsump4.jpg

And Steve at socal let me bring my return pump to determine the location of the bulkhead which feeds the return pump back to the display.
tbsump5.jpg

Tigahboy

Here's what I had envisioned when coming up w/ the design...
fuge3d1.jpg

Here's the actual sump for comparison.
tbsump6.jpg

First baffle for skimmer section was extended out to 3" to hold the eggcrate and extra baffle was added on the dividing wall between skimmer and return section.

Socalcreations did an outstanding job and made the sump look even better than I had expected.

So now the real fun begins - plumbing! =)

Maxx

Interesting sump design TB..like the new avatar too!
So if I understand your diagram right the area with the slotted overflow teeth is the 'fuge? What are you planning on keeping in there?

Nick

Tigahboy

correct, the back compartment (roughly 7.5x8") was integrated to hold my chaeto and LR. I'll have some LS in there as well...maybe 6" worth.

Gina

RS STAFF
Outstanding job! Both on your design and socalcreations! If you don't mind my asking about what did that run you cost wise?

Tigahboy

thanx! $230+tax. but the standard 3 chamber sumps that socal makes usually run a lot less than that.