Tank Upgrade: RSM 130D to Marineland 70-Gallon Cube

Edison

Time to get a bigger tank! There are just too many corals out there to fit in the RSM so we decided to go with a 70- gallon cube tank from Marineland, a filtration system from Jeff at Lifereef and lighting from Acan.

The stand I decided to build myself-the quotes I got from custom furniture shops started at 900 and went up from there. We didn't like the stand that comes with the tank too much, we were told it particle board with a veneer over it, yuk! Why spend 600$ for particle board when you can get the raw materials for around 250 and then just invest some time to design and build the stand?

The stand is almost finished and below are a few images of it. We'll add some trim and doors soon.

Tank and light are at the LFS right now so don't have any images of them yet.

However, we do have the filter box here and pictures are below as well.

Edison

Thanks Glenn. Poor Kodiak is going to be heartbroken when his latest 'house' gets filled with water.

We'll be setting up the new tank either this weekend or next. It depends upon whether or not I have the doors for the stand in and if the guys from the LFS are available to help. Bob (LFS owner) is out of town for the next week so and the other guys there may be overloaded with work this weekend.

Edison

Today LFS Bob dropped by with the tank and we discussed the best way to proceed with the switch-over.
Bob recommended that we start the new tank but not add any animals for several weeks, just add some of the live rock and water from the RSM to help get the new tank started. He said there's too much new water for a quick change-over, the Acropora would get highly stressed by any diatom or algae bloom and the clams might die due to a radical change in nutrient levels.

Here’s a photo of the new tank sitting on the floor being possessed by its new owner. More images coming tomorrow after we cut a hole in the stand for the overflow and return lines.

You can see the Acan LED fixture lighting the RSM.

Last edited:

Edison

It's going to be fun doing the aquascaping.
Give the tank is square and a little short compared to most other tank designs this lends itself well to being viewed from the top, front and at least one side.
We have some awesome rock at the store right now and if Bob has time tomorrow, it will be here and we'll get it plumbed and filled with fresh water for leak testing.
There was a screw-up at the airport last night. Bob went to pick up 4 boxes of animals-3 of fish and one of Solomon Island corals. Well, they lost two boxes and so he had to go back this afternoon and pick up the two boxes so he was unable to get here to help with the setup.

Edison

Here's a photo of the RSM 130D and the new tank side by side so you can see differences in the size and shape.

By the way,the 70 is not crooked, it looks that way due to distortion in the lens. Iused the straighten toon in Photoshopon the top of the RSM and the Marineland got bent in the process!

GlassMunky

Ugh! I hate it when the mail looses your box of corals :( The tanks looking good. Cant wait to see it with water. Do you ever have any issue with your corals catching cat-hairs in their polyps? I do......

Last edited:

Edison

Ugh! I hate it when the mail looses your box of corals :( The tanks looking good. Cant wait to see it with water. Do you ever have any issue with your corals catching cat-hairs in their polyps? I do......

Yeah, and especially when they are (or were) one of a kind pieces. When animals get delayed and it's cold many of the animals die.

No big issues with cat hair and polyps yet. What types of corals are being affected?

GlassMunky

none are really EFFECTED, i just find random cat hairs sometime caught up in the branchs and "caught" by the polyps. I think it bothers me more than the coral. just wondering if others woth cats had the same issue with the hair getting in the tank with an open top.

Edison

Not really, haven't noticed any cat hair in tank. Lots in the corners and under the couch though. :)