Tang in 130D??

choppa1971

I've heard of some people having yellow tangs in their 130's...

Is there any other tang suitable for a 130D????:confused:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
It's really not can the 130 RSM support tangs, because they can.

what you will find most people say is something like this... it's more of a question of like if I am going to get a dog & keep a dog in the backyard and I want to fence off part of the backyard for him to live in & play, how big of an area does that area have to be...

he can live in a 6' x 6' pen, but he would be more happy in a 200' x 200' one

but this could be said... for all our fish too... in the ocean they had "more" room and freedom... tangs do stress easy from what I have read & thier health may be related to thier ability to swim in part... all just food4thought

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
ps - I am not a member of the Tang Police... you asked & above are the thoughts I usually share, only when asked...

Glenn - + 1 you hit the nail on the head.

I have a yellow tang he seems happy, I've had him for nearly 5 months and so far no issues. I also have a regal tang which I've also had for 5 months again with no issue. Perhaps I've been lucky. I do feed a varied diet and I do keep on top of tank maintenance.

I’m sure we would all like a bigger piece of the ocean in our front rooms but space and cost can restrict this. So ultimately it’s up to you how you feel about having tangs in a 130.

People who have pets and care for pets have a better understanding for wildlife has a hole, having a first hand understanding and first hand experience of wildlife I believe makes us more thoughtful and gives us a better understanding for our environment and the wildlife that it supports. The more people that keep love and care for their pets, the better chance wildlife has of being supported in the wild in the way of funded nature reserves and protected areas. Having pets is a very important education and most people who have pets will be more interested in wild life and their environment.

That’s just my opinion doesn’t mean I’m right.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good points Steve. I have a small sailfin and he's doing quite well, and not cramped yet. Varied diet here as well, and he really tears into the dried algae sheet I offer at least every other day, as well as any other food I put in. A big concern I had was the reputation they have as "ich magnets", but thankfully no problems with that.

mbdave

Terry,
Yeah Tangs get ich pretty easily, but your tank is healthy and established so he will be fine. If you have a temp swing or something he might spot a little but when that stress goe's away it will clear back up by itself. That said if a tang in a 130 was stressed so much they would spot up, "my Purple has not got sick" now he is soon going to have to get in a bigger tank but is still fine.

reefhusker

If you really want a tang you asked the question in the right forum. I asked about getting a tang for a RSM 250 (65 gal.) in the Saltwater Fish forum and got big NO NO's from the tang police. As far as what I consider a "centerpiece fish" for a reef tank a tang is one of the best options for the smaller tanks.
Do tell me this though: On LiveAquaria Blue tang gets 12" long, min tank size 70 gal. Yellow tang gets 8" min tank size 100 gal.:goofy:

However, I guess I asked the question and people gave me their opinions, so that's what the forum is there for.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If you really want a tang you asked the question in the right forum. I asked about getting a tang for a RSM 250 (65 gal.) in the Saltwater Fish forum and got big NO NO's from the tang police. As far as what I consider a "centerpiece fish" for a reef tank a tang is one of the best options for the smaller tanks.

That kind of steps on some toes around here don't you think?

reefhusker

I didn't mean it too, hence my last line. I was just meaning to say how funny the different answers you get in different forums.
Sometimes when I ask a question I hope I get a certain answer.
Sorry if I offended anybody.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I guess I'm "touchy" in that respect. I think the question should be..

"Is it ok/advisable to put a tang in a 34g tank?"

That should really put it into a more appropriate perspective. With all due respect this probably is the right place to ask "Tang in 130D??" because you limit who will respond by a great amount. :dunno:

Can it be done? Of course.

Do people do it every day? Well yes.

Do people have long-term success with that combination. some do Yes.

Now with that being said (yes I'm on a tangent here) I think it's ill advised to just randomly say, "It's ok to put a tang in a 34g tank!". This opens a whole can of worms because people who don't even own a tank yet are going to go out, buy a 34g tank and toss a Yellow Tang in there for their first fish because "they read it was OK to do so online!". I think it needs a huge "disclaimer" anytime that's advised. If you're going say "It's ok to put a tang in a small tank" I think you need to step up and be ready to take some degree or responsibility when someone loses their tank due to the over-sight. I gave bad advice a good while back and it cause the OP to lose some coral. I fragged my tank and sent them a box of coral because they took my advice and I personally crashed their tank.

It CAN be done but you need to be experienced and on top of your game to have the best odds for long-term success.

And further more the OP asked
Is there any other tang suitable for a 130D???

IMHO
no :nono:

reefhusker

BigAl07 I respect your opinion, therefore i will ask for it. With it even being a ?? of whether a tang is appropriate for a 34 gal tank, obviously then would you say it might work in a 65 gal? Sorry if i'm getting off topic or hijacking choppa1971's thread but i'm looking for that centerpiece fish and if a tang isn't going to work then I need help finding one. Some have said Angels, but their risky too. I hate the idea to get a fish like a tang if it's going to get too big and then I become attatched and have to get rid of him!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
My 2 cents - I try and picture the fish, fall grown in the tank. Can you picture a 8-10" long tang in your tank? Do you think he would be comfortable in there? IMO this applies to all fish, not just tangs.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Odds are most tangs will get to big for a 34g... 65g is getting much more up there.. IMHO it's not the "Gallon-age" as much as it is lateral swim-room. <~~~~~~~~~ tang ~~~~~~~~~~~>

Angels can be VERY safe and offer (in some cases) a better coloration than a tang. I'm seriously looking into some type of angel for my 90g Mixed Reef tank.

I feel if everything else if On-par (water quality etc) then a tang can be very healthy long-term in a 65g system. But with that you already know some people have GREAT success with a small one in a 34g at the same time some people can't keep one alive in a 180g system. I set my own personal limits for a tang to be a 4' wide tank for lateral swim room. Keep in mind that 4' may not be enough for some larger tangs. YMMV

RH I respect your opinion as well and appreciate the "banter" back and forth.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I think what's key here is that people don't blindly get a tang without knowing that it will get too big, or that they often have or get ich. Removing fish is not an easy thing to do. Too many unknowing LFS employees sell them to unsuspecting new tank owners, and too many tank suppliers show a nice little tang in small tanks.

Some tangs can be coral nippers as well. A dwarf angel is a better choice IMO.

reefhusker

Not my thread but thanks for your opinions GOMA, BigAl, and Terry.
My parting thought - The fear the tangs with their susceptability to ICH is scary to me the beginner aquariast. Maybe too scary for me to risk losing one. Perhaps someday when i'm more experienced i'll have one!
Thanks again!