Sy's RSM250 adventure

Sy101

The tank has arrived, set-up and now waiting for the salt to dissolve. Even having measured out the tank size and marked the floor it still looks massive! I'm still pleased though it looks awsome. I had read alot of complaints regarding the noise and I'm also pleased to say thats its no where near aloud as I had expected. Just a gentle hum mainly from the skimmer (Which may get even better once its worn in)
The RS Care programs have been ordered and should hopefully arrive tomorrow

Dweezil

Even having measured out the tank size and marked the floor it still looks massive!

I remeber thinking the same thing :) I measured and measured while waiting and thought "wow, that's not very big, maybe I should have gone bigger."
Until I got it. Somehow the measurments don't translate well to the mind. haha

Sy101

Thanks for all the messages, Just thought I would give you all an update. The tank has been up and running for nearly 2 weeks now, I added 30kg of Carbi western caribean 'live sand' and 25kg of live rock mainly from my old tank but I had to add some more which came full of live from my LFS.
After adding a bag of cockles there was an small ammiona spike but it soon disappeared, I now have No3 creeping up so I've started dosing red seas No3 & Po4 reducer so I'll be keeping an eye on the stats. I've added my livestock as the old tank was starting to go down hill and so far so good.
With regards to the tank-
Dispite being in the middle of winter and the room temp sitting around 20c or below (and with the lights only on for 4 hours a day atm and the heater is switched off) the tank temp is running around 28c so I guess I'm gonna need a chiller b4 the summer. Any recomendations on a quite chiller and pump would be helpfully.
The missus is starting to complain about the noise of the skimmer now, I've read alot about people using either the deltec mc500 or the reef one skimmer so any thoughts would also be helpfully
Ill try adding a couple of pictures later tonight

Sy101

Hi, Im just wondering if anyone else as this problem and if so what have you done the control it.
The water return flow from the main pump is so powerful that if I aim it high the flow bounces of the glass lip around the top of tank causing bubbles or if I aim it lower it causing the sand to blow back from the front glass.
I'm sure Ive seen some tank pictures where a tee-piece has been fitted sending the flow in 2 directions, Does anyone know where I could get one that fits the RSM250 or if Its got a name so I can find 1 in the uk

thanks simon

reeferman

hello and welcome to the club!the part your speaking of is called Loc Lines.the size needed is 3/4".its a VERY tight fit but it goes.

Sy101

officialsy

I hope the pic comes out ok. 1st time using photobucket.
5 weeks in on the tank and so far so good, the Redsea No&PO reducer is keeping the brown and red algae at bay for the min!

Did I do the right think? I found a pure White bristle worm last night about 3/4" long and decided to act fast and suck him out

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
small bristle worms are good members of the cuc - imo - can get to food that snails & others can't, back in the rock work

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
If you right click on your pic, you can get the url, copy & paste it in like this & the pic will show up

Right clicking on the missing picture in post # 31 doesn't give a valid URL to the picture under properties.

If you go in your Photobucket album and hold your cursor on a picture, you should see a menu below with 4 choices - click on the bottom choice - IMG choice. That should copy it, then paste that code in in a post. When you submit the post the picture will show up (or you can see if it worked, by going to "Go Advanced" under the text area of your post - if you got it right it should show up there also.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
yep... looks like the pic was moved to photobucket - when you put the url in a browers - returns - Page not found
But now that you're here, go ahead and search through the billions of photos, images and videos on Photobucket.

Sy101

Thanks for the advise Ill try again, I was trying to be lazy and post the pic via the Ipad app, this time i'll use the pc
Its still only a phone pic but thats the best I can do until I get a new camera!