Sy's RSM250 adventure

Sy101

Hi Guy

Ive spent hours and hours reading as much of your very helpful information as possible!
The boss (the wife to be) has finally allowed me a tank upgrade so I'm currently awaiting delivery of my max 250.

I've got to go through the slow process of cycling and moving rock, live stock etc from my old tank but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. And I'm in no real rush!

I've just got a few questions before I start
1. Ive struggled with hair algae in my current tank dispite <1 of both nitrate & Phosphate. I think its either a flow or just being a small tank issue but Im keen to do my best to avoid it as much as possible in the future. So im open to suggestions filter media, flow ideas etc for the RSM?
2. The only extra equipment I'm planning at the min in a Vortech mp10 and maybe another 1 if required. Should that be ok or would I be better with a MP40?
More equipment may be required depending on noise etc
3. Im also interest in the Reef care program from the start so any thoughts, experience or any Red sea info would be very appreciated
4. Lastly I've got about 17kg of live rock to more, how much extra LR would you recomend?

Thanks in advance

Simon

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
HI Simon - congrats on the new gorgeous RSM 250 & thanks for starting a tank thread !

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
On the questions... here my thoughts
1218.gif

1. You should be able to run your new RSM near algae free, with good maintenance. Lots member here will help you with some great tips.

2. I recently added a Vortech mp10 and love it, two of the W (wireless) model imo would be ideal, my one works great, the stock pumps have quite a bit of flow too. Some will depend on the corals you want to keep, I like many soft flowie ones & I seldom run my mp10 at 100% & when I do I have to be careful to not blow on some of the soft coral too much.

3. Reef care program from the start - we don't have them in the states yet, but from all I have read, sounds like a great idea

4. 1 kilogram = 2.20462262 pounds I ended up with about 60 pounds of rock in my RSM 250, I had about 45 pounds in my RSM 130D, but I wanted a bit more of an open look to my RSM 250, more open sand & space for like scollies.

Sy101

thanks for the quick reply nanofeefing,

As for the algae I do hope to keep it to a minimum, I enjoy the cleaning and maintenance but it drives me mad!

Im gonna start with 1 mp10 and see how I get on.

I can't believe we actually got something (RS Care program) before you guys. normally we brits are years behind the rest of the world lol

I just checked your 250 out and its looks awesome, thats definitly the direction I want to heading

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Your very welcome - thanks for the compliment - lots of very lovely RSM tanks in the RSM club, you will have one too !
009.gif

Sy101

Thanks Reefmack
Ive beening reading up on the link you sent very interesting but still a little confusing lol
I sent Kev a msg a few days ago so hopefully I'll hear back from him after the xmas break.
I'm looking forward to trying it so 'll keep you all posted on how it goes.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You're welcome! Kev is usually better at replying, but he may be away on holiday.

Sy101

Hi, Im just wondering about SPS, LPS coral placement in the tank, i keep reading about corals needing space to grow and some can sting each other but when I look at some of your beautiful tanks the corals are often touching and grow all over each other!
Is it just a case about reading up fully about any new coral additions or does anyone have any links or good articles which could help me plan my reef?

Thanks

Simon

steved13

PREMIUM
Welcome Simon!!

My tank is still fairly new also, I'm pretty sure when you see the corals very close in other tanks, they have grown that way, the owners tried to leave room but nature won the battle.

1 MP10 will do a nice job, I would much rather have 2 MP10Ws than 1 MP40.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Given enough time and proper conditions I think all corals will eventually grow into each other. It's pretty much unavoidable that eventually they'll all be fighting for space. If it's not stinging capability, it'll be coral toxin warfare, or just simply one growing over another and choking it out. It's really hard to plan for. A good book to have is Eric Borneman's "Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History". He often lists the corals that can have a negative impact on one particular type, and it's a great resource to have.

imaccat

A good book to have is Eric Borneman's "Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History". He often lists the corals that can have a negative impact on one particular type, and it's a great resource to have.

I agree, its a great book, which I always take to my LFS when buying corals

Sy101

Thanks for the advice on the coral book, I managed to order a copy of Amazon so I sure that'll give me some bedtime reading.
I wanted to add a splash of colour on the thread while I wait for delivery of my RSM but adding pics isn't the easiest thing in the world!
Here is my first attempt with just a few softies
Everyone is looking forward to moving to a new and improved home lol

Attachments

• mini reef small.JPG
    mini reef small.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 93

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The tank looks nice! Bigger pics would be even better. :) Photobucket will let you do that.