Super Live Live Rock

mrlimpet

Hi. I have recently started my 14 gallon biocube and am continuously discovering new lived critters from the rock I purchased about a month ago. First, there was a little anemone that disappeared and then a starfish, but I just saw some type of cucumber sticking its head out of a crevice in the rock. It has the same shape as a tigertail because it has those bumps but it is white and slender. I also saw another critter trying to get out of the crevice which I eventually discovered was a shrimp that has black stripes. There are also these little things that have the same form as feather dusters but are small and have just a single "feather" strand coming out of it. My picture file size is unfortunately too big to post, but if anyone knows what species the shrimp and cucumber and feather duster things might be and if they are reef safe I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Try photobucket.com - a free service that will resize your pics for you and give you an image link to post that will display the pics. Easy once you get the hang of it.

Not sure on any IDs. The shrimp may be a Pistol Shrimp, or maybe even a Mantis. The little anemone might be an Aiptasia or Majano (both pests). If the "single strand" feather dusters have what looks like a radar dish fan that pops in & out they might be barnacles. Impossible to tell without pictures. Enjoy the rock watching - it's one of the best parts of this hobby!

mrlimpet

Thanks for telling me that. Here are pics of the cucumber and feather duster. I only saw the shrimp for a quick second. Its hiding in the crevice. (Sorry for the blurriness)

Attachments

• DSCN2310-1.jpg
    DSCN2310-1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCN2300-1.jpg
    DSCN2300-1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 181

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
worm could be a bristle worm but don't fret. They are a VERY good part of your tank's clean up crew CUC even though they get a BUMMMMM wrap often.

mrlimpet

I haven't posted on this thread in a while, but anyway today I got a much better view of the shrimp... definitely a pistol shrimp. I was wondering if anyone knows the species: green and white even stripes and solid green claws. (Dark green) Thanks

mrlimpet

Quite possibly- I saw a white tip on the claws and i guess i only saw the top part of the claw where it was green, but the bands look spot on. Thanks