Stomatella Snails, Should I keep them?

Ksalsedo

I have reciently found what I believe to be a Stomatella snail in my tank. It must have hitchhiked on my LR. Should I keep it or get rid of it?

Mischko

Should be ok to keep it, feeds on algae, if you have several of them you can watch them 'mate' depending on the moon phases. Usually, if you have several, once a month you can watch them gathering on the highest spot in your tank releasing eggs and sperm. It can 'throw of its tail' like a lizard when in danger. Don't think it will be a harm to corals.

Ksalsedo

Ok, thanks. I had read that they could multiply like rabbits and take over a tank so I wanted to checkout what the club has to say.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
They will multiply in accordance to tank/food conditions. They are a great addition to a reef tank. If you get too many you can always sell them to LFS or local reefers.

Cassette87

Agreed with Lynn & Glenn, I've got more than a few of these and they've gotten pretty big.

Good part of the CUC and interesting little critters.

albertthiel

I have one and wish I had more .. so no mating .. not getting more of them ... Comes out rarely during the day ... mine is Black ... apparently not that common but it definitely is one (had it ID'ed by an expert at a Public Aquarium). Very nice to watch when it crawls on the rocks and eats algae or whatever else it can find. I have never seen it bother my corals

Oxylebius

+1 - keep them, loved mine
BTW, some peppermint shrimp will eat them, so becareful if you want to keep them.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Found this older thread while sitting here kinda missing my white Stomatella snail that hitchhiked from my tank when I gave my kids half of my sand GSP coral.
I wonder why we never see these snails "for sale" anywhere? I know I have another one in my tank, unless something happen to him. I really like them & wonder if I'll ever start seeing more in my tank?
How many do you have? Why do we not hear more about them on here?
Seems like we only get them as hitchhikers. :ponder2:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
ANYONE know where I can buy Stomatella Snails? I want some to replenish my snails as CUC.
I've never seen them for sale :ponder2:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Yeah, I used to have a tank with tons of these. They mated in my sump in large numbers and would continue to repopulate my tank.

Then I got a Harlequin.

No more stomas. :)

Kinda hard for a critter that can't retract much of its foot into its shell to protect itself from a hungry tuskfish.

andyfish

My nano tank is full of these guys. Only be up now for 3 weeks. They hitched in on my 4.2kg of live rock. Started with just couple, now I have around 10 and loads of babies. Facinating to watch