starting a RSM 250 :D

matthew11

Hello everyone! :D

Been looking forward to this for a while now :D im looking at purchasing a new RSM 250 as my current RSM has corals which are getting far to big and look to good to be given away so i need to upgrade lol!
im getting this thread going so you guys can help me cuz right now i current sleep with my RSM about 5 ft from my bed, and sometimes it can be quite noisy however i have had the tank for 3 years now so i am very used to it, however i would like to know how noisy are the pumps of the RSM 250? i would only run the 1200lph pump at night. is it much noisier? is it possible to sleep about 5 ft away from it? :p i dont run the protein skimmer at night either. ive read alot of posts saying the RSM 250 is quieter than the old 130?

Here are some current pics attached of my RSM i apologise for the blurriness i need a new camera haha

imaccat

Hi and welcome to RS,

Sorry, but I cant help with comparing the noise levels as I've never had the 130, but good luck with upgrading.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Very nice tank! Leather corals do get big. I had that happen in the past. Lately I've gotten away from SPS and added a few leathers back - I guess I forgot how they can get big!

reeferman

250s are much quieter than 130s.i have both in my living room and there is a big difference.good luck on the upgrade,great tank choice!

matthew11

haha thanks so much! yeh me too cant wait to see the soft corals in the 250, cant wait to get it! hopefully will have one by the end of next week or even this week, but my only problem now is i need to get rid of my RSM 130 which could b a bit hard, its a shame they dont allow trade ins for old 130's xD haha but will def keep you all posted and will start a diary going.

btw would it be possible to skip the maturing part for my new 250 if i transfer the 17kg of live rock along with the water? or would i have to wait for the pumps and skimmer to be broken in? :) dw i have learned about patience from this tank so if i gotta give it some time then so be it haha better that than something going wrong :/

thanks again guys :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
....btw would it be possible to skip the maturing part for my new 250 if i transfer the 17kg of live rock along with the water? or would i have to wait for the pumps and skimmer to be broken in? :) dw i have learned about patience from this tank so if i gotta give it some time then so be it haha better that than something going wrong :/

thanks again guys :)

You'd probably have a very short cycle, if any. But 17 kg (37.5 lbs) may not be enough rock in the RSM 250? It depends on the look you want. If you add additional rock then you'd probably increase the chances that you'll have a longer cycle time. I'd avoid reusing the substrate from the 130, other than maybe a bit to seed new substrate. The old stuff may have a lot of bad gunk in it that could release some things you don't want in the new tank (hydrogen sulfide, etc.). New skimmers always go through a breakin period. Just my thoughts and opinions. :)

clka

Welcome, your tank is beautiful, will look forward to seeing your 250 develop!

Cheryl

matthew11

You'd probably have a very short cycle, if any. But 17 kg (37.5 lbs) may not be enough rock in the RSM 250? It depends on the look you want. If you add additional rock then you'd probably increase the chances that you'll have a longer cycle time. I'd avoid reusing the substrate from the 130, other than maybe a bit to seed new substrate. The old stuff may have a lot of bad gunk in it that could release some things you don't want in the new tank (hydrogen sulfide, etc.). New skimmers always go through a breakin period. Just my thoughts and opinions. :)

ahh ok thanks, so how long would a short cycle last for do you reckon? 1-2 weeks? yep i agree with u i was going to buy separate substrate (for looks) haha but yes i guess your right cuz wen i had a six line wrasse a while ago he died and i think he buried himself into the sand but i could never find where he was! :( so yeh good idea, thanks :)
ooo ok, yep well i think i will buy some more live rock to then, cant wait to get it all started! but i do have a pair of clarkai clowns and a six line wrasse how would they go during the small cycle period do you think? :)

Thanks for the complements everyone!! :D

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Impossible to say how long a cycle will last - every tank is different. Your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings will be your guide as to the progress of a cycle. A lot will depend on the condition of the rock, and if you add a deli shrimp to cycle the tank (a rotting shrimp generates ammonia, which feeds the nitrogen cycle bacteria that you want to multiply and have established in the tank rock and substrate).

fruit bat

We upgraded from the old 130 to a 250 this year and the first thing we noticed was the noise difference, it wasn't noticeably louder or quieter, just a different tone.
We did our transfer in one day, rather stressfull but rewarding. A few tips:-

Get some more rock ready to put in the new tank, you will need it
You will need more water than you think, have plenty ready
get plenty of buckets, bags and boxes for your stock
give yourself plenty of time, the process took us around six to seven hours

Our biggest headache was caused by not having plenty of water ready, we had enough, but only just. when we started emptying the 130 the water got stirred up and dirty rather quickly, sadly we had to use quite a lot if it in the new tank which coupled with adding the new substrate we ended up aquascaping blindly. We were surprised at how much water went into the bags with the corals etc, and because we couldnt turn on the pumps until the water level was up to the skimmer gate everything was put into a nice new tank full of cloudy water. Fotunately everything turned out fine, apart from one loss (brain coral)

Good Luck and keep us posted,
Chris

matthew11

We upgraded from the old 130 to a 250 this year and the first thing we noticed was the noise difference, it wasn't noticeably louder or quieter, just a different tone.
We did our transfer in one day, rather stressfull but rewarding. A few tips:-

Get some more rock ready to put in the new tank, you will need it
You will need more water than you think, have plenty ready
get plenty of buckets, bags and boxes for your stock
give yourself plenty of time, the process took us around six to seven hours

Our biggest headache was caused by not having plenty of water ready, we had enough, but only just. when we started emptying the 130 the water got stirred up and dirty rather quickly, sadly we had to use quite a lot if it in the new tank which coupled with adding the new substrate we ended up aquascaping blindly. We were surprised at how much water went into the bags with the corals etc, and because we couldnt turn on the pumps until the water level was up to the skimmer gate everything was put into a nice new tank full of cloudy water. Fotunately everything turned out fine, apart from one loss (brain coral)

Good Luck and keep us posted,
Chris

Ahh ok thanks very much! well ive contacted some people in western aus to give me some high quality rock wen i get the tank so theirs minimal cycling (fingers crossed) and yeh i forgot about the water to will need alot on standby definitely! I was close to getting one the other day but my LFS jacked the price up from 1700$ to 2200 without the stand! with the stand its 2550, looking at wholesalers now etc i hope i can find one soon enough :D
oo I also saw a Emperor Anglefish today (juvi), ive asked many ppl and researched this but is there any guarantee that the emperor wont eat my softies and my anemone? :) its so hard to know! because they are such a beautiful fish. i suppose it depends on the individual fish at the end of the day...

sorry for my late reply hitting exams atm so been a bit busy back here :)

matthew11

My very territorial Tomato clown
DSC07338.JPG

Emperor Anglefish, He has been a recent addition :D in preperation for the RSM 250. i bought him while he was being kept with corals ;) no reports of nipping yet :)
DSC07335.JPG

DSC07341.JPG

DSC07362.JPG

Finding out today if i will b getting the RSM 250 so fingers crossed! If i dont end up getting the RSM 250 then i am re-scaping my current RSM 130 again..