Starting a new tank with dried out live rock?

MarkD

Thanks Glenn, it's not much yet but I see small patches on rocks, sand , glass. So far the few snails and couple hemits are doing pretty good.
Don you usually clean off the rocks or just leave them alone?
Is it pretty much clean off any algae besides coraline the destruction you can?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Coralline algae is hard it won't blow off, any green or brown soft algae you export is a good thing I would guess...

MarkD

Ok, yes this is light brown, seeing it on back glass etc. Easy to clean off but stays on rocks pretty good.

I brushed it a little to see what would happen and most of it came off. Seems like the snail and crabs are doing there part too.

I guess it's just part of the normal process

Thx

MarkD

346_zpsv98smtvn.jpg
328_zpscmnm9ynr.jpg
340_zpse2bzmelt.jpg

Well, kind of figuring out how to add pics. First one was when it was cycling.

PCDS

Yepper. You are at the beginning of the life of a tank. As the lights go on, you will go through different algal blooms. Hopefully they are short lived, but they are like zits. Some seem to get them worse than others. A very slow methodical stocking with regular monitoring/water changes helps avoid feeding algae.

I try to make sure that my CUC gets a piece of something (shrimp/scallop etc) once a week or 10 days. I deliver the goods in a "3 pack" because the fish, urchin and CUC all fight. I give them each one. However my CUC consists of a bundle of hermit crabs.

I am no expert in snails, but I do know some prefer sand, and some prefer not. I have had great success with mexican turbo snails, however they do knock over things like corals and rocks as they get larger. I usually keep 2-3 turbos, 6-10 random smaller snails and about a dozen hermits in a 40 breeder. I hate/hate to prefer my urchin for cleaning up algae. The thing eats algae all day long and poops white dots out. It is an amazing algae eater.....but then you see that it is carrying around coral frags, rocks and a few snails. IF your rockwork is solid, and your corals are affixed the urchin is a great member of the cuc.
My urchin also eats the coralline algae of the rocks and can damage some fixed coral too. Saying that mine helped get very stubborn hair algae off my rock work.

MarkD

Thanks

Hmmmm, now this morning I don't see the pics. Is that because I deleted them in photobucket?

MarkD

Those are what they called "reef grazing crabs" at the lfs. Anyone know them by a different name?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hmmmm, now this morning I don't see the pics. Is that because I deleted them in photobucket?

yep - some server has to "host" them... then the image syntax you use here calls them & displays them

MarkD

I was wondering if I should go higher with the rocks on one side for corals that would require more light?

I also have one larger rock I never used. I ordered about 40lbs and used about 32/34lbs

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You are very welcome to see the syntax... you can edit your post & click on the WRENCH icon - you can add them to photobucket again if you want & add back in the new urls to your post

MarkD

Got it. Well I'm guessing the light brown patches are diatoms which seems normal and the snail and hermits seem to be getting rid of it. I have a couple spots on back glass here and there but I can just clean those if needed.

I only have two nassarius, two trouchus and one small margarita. I was thinking of adding one more for now and it seems like cerith are good for diatoms?

Any suggestions? The trouchus seem to stick to the glass and rocks but occasionally I'll see them on the sand but not much.

Thanks

MarkD

My lfs seems to have some assorted turbos, nassarius, trouchus, nerite, bumble bee and maybe a couple more, I can't remember but don't think I've seen cerith

MarkD

Hi all, so I'm guessing the light brown algae like stuff is diatoms? The cuc seem to be keeping up on it, although I do clean it off thermometer or glass if needed. It does form some light areas on the same so I keep moving the sand around.

I also notice tiny air bubbles on the rocks surface and they'll just keep floating up ad you watch the tank? Is that from the algae/diatoms?

Pat24601

Hi all, so I'm guessing the light brown algae like stuff is diatoms? The cuc seem to be keeping up on it, although I do clean it off thermometer or glass if needed. It does form some light areas on the same so I keep moving the sand around.

I also notice tiny air bubbles on the rocks surface and they'll just keep floating up ad you watch the tank? Is that from the algae/diatoms?

brown is very likely diatoms. No big deal. Very expected.

MarkD

Thanks all, so I guess all going as expected so far? From what I read it seems like the diatoms will run their coarse, no need to do anything?