Star Polyps Invading Monti-What To Do?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
This is a picture of a Montipora Cap. I added to my tank in 02/07.
IMG_0732.jpg

Here it is tonight!
DSC_0002.jpg

The Star polyps are invading the Monti. My question is how do I surgerize them off and/or keep them from over taking my Monti. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I dont think you can hurt them, just slice it with an exacto knife and peel it off

mps9506

Only reason I recomend fragging the monti, is because they will keep crawling up onto the monti. the GSP are some rapid growing critters.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Thanks everyone! I have no problems with a scalpel and gum surgery, but this creeps me out! The fragging idea is a good one Mike. Where do I break it off and at what area of the frag do I attach it to the new rock? Can I touch the surface of the Monti?

DrHank

Should come off either at the base or edge depending on where it attaches to rock. Probably won't take a lot of pressure to break it off. Pretend it's a tooth that needs to come out and you should be fine. A gentle rocking motion is often all that is needed.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Thanks Hank! Perspective is everything. Ever hear the saying, "It's like pulling teeth."? Not an easy task I must say. Your described technique is what I will do.

reefjitsu

I just imagine a dentist would be really good at fragging corals. There are probably all sorts of dental instruments that would be great for use on corals. You should read up on LPS fragging. You may have unique insight based on your dental training and could even make some new inovations in fragging technique. Or I could be way off base, with an overactive imagination.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I would just try to snap it off at the base as close as i could. To re attach it you can do what i do and just lay it in a place on the rock where it won't fall off. It won't be long before it melts onto the rock and starts curling up into a new colony. Super glue will help hold it in place if you feel you need to.

bluespotjawfish

Even I can frag a Monti, so I know you can do it. Just snap it! Superglue is what I mess up, remember? You can take the frag out of water to glue it. BTW, all my cleaner shrimp survived and are our of their straightjackets (freed from their superglue ~ I am so glad).

DrHank

This may seem like a silly question but I must ask. What ever possessed you to super glue your shrimp together?

bluespotjawfish

My new acros! Supergluing stuff underwater is fun (not)! The lid came off the tube. My cleaner shrimp were just too fast! Poor things!

BoomerD

I was going to recommend fragging the monti as well. It's nearly impossible to remove all the mat from the GSP's, and they will grow back from the tiniest bit left behind.
(I hate them! I started with 2-1" X 1" frags, and they nearly took over my entire tank...)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
This may seem like a silly question but I must ask. What ever possessed you to super glue your shrimp together?

:lol: Easier to feed that way :lol:

I use the kind that has the bottle that's sort of wedge shaped and has these vented/pliable sides that you squeeze that gives a precise amount of glue when you need it. I find it's a lot easier to control how much and WHEN the glue comes out with this type of bottle.

Allen

DrHank

Scott, if you run into any problem fragging the monti, you can send it to me, I'll remove the monti and ship you back the GSP rock!