Squatch's Continuing Adventure with a 40g breeder

Squatch XXL

So, I re-read this entire thread to see if I could learn something. Update time:

I've got lots of photos, so if you are on 56k I am sorry about your luck.

Don't use Krylon spray paint and expect an urchin not to scrape it up.

2 overflows. I wanted to talk about it. It is wonderful. I would rather have a coast to coast to balance the flow, but I came up with some solutions. Also, I have issues with snails and hermits in my sump. They don't belong there. They need to be trapped in the danger zone where they belong. I made solutions to that. I hated the noise. I made one side full siphon. I also "hid" the bubbles in the sump.

I have a dual overflow. There is no way to get them both laser accurate on elevation for flow. One ALWAYS will have greater flow. In this case, my left side is my heavy flow. I finally started to fiddle with valves, and found a way to ensure that I can throttle flow and still not ever get a wet floor.

This is my left side overflow from the side. I am using a valve to throttle the flow. The holes drilled in the pipe ensure that no snails or hermits go down the water slide. The cap does have a very tiny 1/16" hole in it. It runs full siphon all day long. It is silent. No air and water mix, and no gurgle.

The right side overflow with my durso. It also has a modded pipe to keep critters out. I have cut the fittings in places shorter so that when restarting the pump this will go full siphon until all the air is worked out of the left side.

Also, Snail eggs.....That is a question for later however...

Then the pipes go down to the sump:

The left side sump line goes to the sump, and has no issues being below water level because it is running full siphon, and is not mixing air. The right side line is a standard durso and is mixing air and water. I have it running through 3/4" pvc into a 1" tee. The tee then has a street 90" looking up with a cap with a hole in the center. From the bullhead of the tee, I have 3/4" looking down into the sump about 3". This causes most of the air from the line to stay above the water, and it equalizes in the pipe through the small hole in the cap. Its the opposite of the durso. It is also very quiet. No more bubbles in the sump spraying saltwater all over everything.

Don't judge my beer can collection. I have had a few today.

This week I decided to add some sort of filter media to my system. I have a wad of rolled up diy aquarium filter in the bottom of the sump. Seems to work good, and is disposable.

Changed to a Mag drive 5 when we reset the tank after the move. The head height is certainly affecting flow. I estimate about 200-300gph from the sump to the tank, and may yet add a powerhead...but oh man....Aside from a bit of water flow, all I hear is the pump. It is not loud, but it is the only noise.
The generic skimmer is working marvelous. It produces consistent and tangible thick waste regularly. I have a small fish and a medium sized monster, and think that IF the skimmer was terrible it would do nothing. I have got the thing tuned in that it makes tar....Oh and the smell. Put some of that in your pipe and smoke it.. YUUUUCK.

I did extensive testing. Either of my overflows can handle 100% of the flow of the pump to the sump. In the event of disaster, one side can handle it all. I sleep knowing my floor won't get wet.

I modified my canopy a few weeks back. I think about all the trouble that glass canopy give......I switched to something that offered good GE, was cheap, and would not allow fish to exit.

Behold: Eggcrate.

I also used a piece to keep light from directly hitting me in my eyeballs. I painted it black, and the urchin cannot clean it off.

My coral collection has been doing "well" since the transition. I use quotes as an overall. The colony that I believe gave me the nudibranch has not been doing well at all overall. It has a few good spots, but it looks about dead.

I have a few spots that I will be doing some frags from only for the good of saving the life of something tied to a dying mass. I got 3 colors of zoas fragged already from this colony and they are doing well.

Picked up some new zoas last weekend. I am a sucker for $6 frags that have a few odd polyps/dying corals.

I don't know if it has a name, and it don't matter to me. its pretty neat. It looks milky clear, and grows well. Under blue moon lights it glows bright atomic peach.

Frag on agrocrete

This is my "wheel of shame". It is an agrocrete piece buried in the substrate. It is the mold of the bottom of a 2 liter soda container, and looks it (it has the legs). I have a few zoas glued to it that were acting up. I really want to get a frag of the one super goofy colorful one in the pic, but its so intertwined with the other grey ones....I do notice that some of the goofy colorful ones seem to have more matching grey at the edges....That is an article on its own.

Pocilipora is doing well at the top of the reef. Gets great direct light, and has great PE. One odd thing I noticed. The urchin will not get near this piece. It is not even glued in, but the urchin will not touch it. It aggravates me to find zoas relocated or missing entirely.....but that this is off limits somehow...

One thing I noticed. ALL of my agrocrete is covered with green coraline. All of my other florida rock is covered lightly with reds/purples. The urchin eats from the natural rock, but avoids the agrocrete...probally because it is dense.

So back to snail eggs. I have noticed a bit of surface scum in the past few weeks. It coincides with snails laying eggs all over the glass and rocks, but is it part of it? Can snail "mess" cause surface scum?

Last edited:

Squatch XXL

What type of urchin do you have and what is the size of the poci?
I was told that the urchin is a "pink rose" or something to that effect.

I looked over this list a few times:
Becoming an urchin fan
I think its a Lytechinus variegatus

The poci is very small and stands less than 2" tall from the base to the top. it is about as wide as it is tall at the top.

Last edited:

Oxylebius

Yes, it is a Lytechinus variegatus. This urchin is an omnivore. I'd watch it closely and feed it algae so it doesn't end up being forces to eat any of your corals in the tank. The study below shows the different types of foods preferences this urchin has. When algae is present it will prefer to eat algae over meaty foods. If algae isn't present it will graze a variety of meatier foods.

http://scholarcommons.usf.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1006&context=bin_facpub

I'm not saying to get rid of the urchin. I'm saying it is a good algae grazer, one of the better ones as it prefers to eat a variety of algae, but if algae is low in your tank I would feed it algae to supplement its diet. You mention zoas going missing??? I'd feed the urchin algae pellets.

Squatch XXL

You mention zoas going missing???
I use super glue liberally, but still at times small frags break off and she will use them as decorations.

It certainly eats some algae, as well as anything meaty foods that hit the substrate.

I hate the urchin, but it is/was essential to the bit of algae that I developed in the early weeks. I am keeping it alive and happy, and in a few months when the 80 gallon gets setup, this will be relocated there. I guarantee it will have more to eat and will enjoy the larger tank better.

Oxylebius

Sorry to hear you hate the urchin. I think they are quite interesting and certainly do a good job on algae. They are quite strong, even against liberally applied super glue, as you already know. :D

cracker

Squatch, So You used Krylon spray paint inside the tank? I assume it cures ok with no leaching chemicals ? I want to build an internal overflow out of clear acrylic and would like to paint it black .Thanks

StirCrayzy

I'm still laughing at the 56k jab...;) 1St modem I ever had was 4800 baud and I remember the suspense of watching A single picture load and then finally start to come into focus.
I love my urchins, but like anemones, they come with an assumed risk of chaos.

More beers !

Squatch XXL

They are quite strong, even against liberally applied super glue, as you already know. :D
I have to feed mine or something, because it rips super glued frags right off my rocks....than lets them alone. Is it anger? Am I not playing minecraft* enough with it?

Lately.....I had this pretty hip running gag around the house involving this HH that I thought it was a peanut worm. It is some sort of paly that was dead dead. It has been in my tank 8 months, and has finally started to look reasonable....It got moved around a bit. I found it and it....and it will live. I will find some photos of this "thing" and repost them with the updated versions when I reattach.

Squatch XXL

Oh and in totally separate news:

I am at an odd juncture with "corals". Most of the polyps died on the frag that I have questioned. They continue to die, and have an odd red velvet texture. I have noticed it on other zoas, but it seems to disappear in a day.

A frag of palys is disappearing. The ones that are dying look like the dried yellow raisins....50% are (dead/dying/rotting) ill.

I have not yet seen any HH, or eggs of any kind. I have been changing 10 gallons per week starting last week, when I first noticed.

Still don't have a test kit. I have no algae aside from minor glass stuff.

The poci still looks wonderful. Continued PE. No noticeable growth.

*I never played minecraft

Squatch XXL

The corals seem to be on the mend. I am chalking the recent "event" up to a domino effect. A large colony of zoas mostly died off. A large colony of paly had about 30% loss. There was no aggressor that was seen, and it only affected 2 colony. Frags were seemingly unaffected. I was changing 10 gallons of water/week over the last 3 weeks. Dunno what it is/was, but it seems to have subsided.

I am wishing my larger tank was here, so I could work on it....but I am lazy and it is still in storage.

I am watching the mantis, and notice that the 3" pipe burrow is getting to just the size where turning around is getting tight for her. When the upgrade happens, she will be getting a new/improved 4" pvc burrow. The next size up that is mainstream is 6", and I doubt she would ever need that....though that would be cool to have a 14"+ mantis shrimp.

4" pipe for long term care seems to be best, but Ill know more in a few weeks if I would just get "unslothed" and drag that heavy tank over.

Squatch XXL

I wanted to add. I took a few moments today and refused to use a minivan to transport the tank over to the house. I refuse to drive a minivan.....However a full sized van I will certainly tear around in. It MUST have a mural on the side OR round windows in the back.

1190_1.jpg

Good van

top10_chrysler_minivans.jpg

BAAAAAAD!

StirCrayzy

I'm gonna have to start calling you Uncle Rico now. ;)

I'm in the same boat, no MiniVan, ever.
Wife agrees, we are not minivan people.

Squatch XXL

I am a huge fan of station wagons. Dodge magnum is close, but nothing compared to a chevy caprice classic wagon. (pre 1997)