Things got happening today: I was balls out all day. Photo heavy beware.
Picked up my 50lb shipment of reef-saver rock.
wide view: Agro on right, and reef rock on left.
the cure tank:
Cure tank up close:
Rocks were added to de-chlorinated water. Water took all afternoon to stabilize at 1.0225 sg. I think that part of the issue was the agro-crete rocks were used in a freshwater tank about a week ago. I figure by the time it is due for a top off, I can add a gallon of salt water.
The container is PP5 plastic, which is food and human safe. I feel comfortable using it. Its jammed in there jelly tight. There is about 12 gallons of water.....in a 26 gallon tub.
Inside the box is a 250gph powerhead hooked to 3/4 inch pvc (you can see it in the bottom corner of the last photo). Water is pushed from the back side of the tub, and removed from the bottom corner there.
Heating at 79f with a 200w heater.
I added a product called "Bio Spira" because at the time of purchase, it seems like it could be used to start the cycle. I am now second guessing, and will be adding a shrimp unless someone can advise otherwise.
Totally off topic, my wife and I agree that my agrocrete looks more like reef rock than the dry stock that was provided. However the agrocrete is just a bit more dense than the actual reef rock. I used 3 parts CC, 1 part argonite sand and 1 part portland cement...just add water until it becomes clumpy then drop pieces into a crushed coral filled box. Its kinda like how a cat uses its litter box. I was literally trying to find a way to get rid of the CC and sand at that time. It seemed like a great idea.
I may yet use a phosphate remover because I allowed the agrocrete into a FW tank, and it developed a bit of algae.....However I will wait on a test kit to tell me if it is needed in 3 weeks.
Also I did layout work for tank drilling. I really cannot explain it better than the photos:
Right side layout:
Left Side layout: (opposite of right)
Full tank shot just because:
3/4" Durso configuration:
Im sure that I will have to adjust the durso's vertical to account for noise. I have the "minimum tolerances" for the overflow boxes based on the size of the durso. I will have 26 inches of surface skimming, and could potentially handle 1000+ gph. This is will have a total fall of 1-1/2 inches. I will craft them from black plexiglass in the next few weeks. I have an idea that I way overestimated and they will end up being a bit smaller. I may even craft one out of a half of a piece of 4" abs pipe.
The tank goes out Friday morning to get drilled.
And just for laughs, my though book:
*I edited this 06-27-2015 because apparently whoever hosted my photos simply stopped. I re-upped photos just for history's sake*