Splitaroo

Jess

So my leather is splitting...my question is, what do I do when it finally splits all the way? It's getting very close (I feel like it's having a baby or something ha) and well....will it attach itself to the rock below or am I going to have to step in and help?

I just turned the lights on, you can clearly see what's going on here!

1120090928.jpg

1120090932.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yep your leather has the "Splits".

I would imagine it will probably be fairly well attached on it's own once the split is complete. IF not just fasten it down with a nail or bolt & screw :)

Jess

HAAAHAHAHA the "Splits"...hate when that happens.

No really would I just glue it to the rock at the base? I've had this leather almost a year...hope this is a good sign vs. bad....

ALLEN!!!:D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's a VERY bad sign. You should ship them BOTH to my house ASAP to be safe!!

If it's not attached I'd probably try to hold it against a rock (or the rock) with a rubber-band. Not OVERLY tight as to cause it ti cut the flesh but not so loose it allows the coral to float away. In a couple of weeks it should attach itself.

Jess

Just thought I'd update....this was taken over the weekend. Still unsure what to do once it splits. I've never fragged anything before.... Can I glue it to a piece of rubble or????

0109001749a.jpg

kospaintball

rubber band it where you want it if you want to.... i agree that one piece should go to al cuz he is fraggin me one of every thing in his tank.... right al?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Simply wrap a rubber-band around it securing it to the rock. The trick is to make it tight enough to hold it but not so tight as the rubber-band is going to cut into it and cause it to "frag" again.

Huh? What are yall talking about LOL

Jess

I still am not sure I get it. I don't see how that would work! Can't I just use that coral epoxy stuff and glue the bottom to some rock? Wrapping a rubberband around something that soft and fragile scares me! Not sure how it would "not" frag again? NEWB! Scared!

Simply wrap a rubber-band around it securing it to the rock. The trick is to make it tight enough to hold it but not so tight as the rubber-band is going to cut into it and cause it to "frag" again.

Huh? What are yall talking about LOL

Jess

And yes I have heard of the rubberband thing a million times but ...... idk.....I'm weird I guess.

kospaintball

if you do a figure 8 patern with the rubber band so that both sides are bein held thats how i do it works well for me

and as for al.... all your coral are belong to me

Jess

Ok, but where is the rubberband going? Just on the base of the leather? The rock it is leaning on is HUGE, so I'd have to get another piece.

Can anyone tell me if I can use some type of aquarium epoxy?!

if you do a figure 8 patern with the rubber band so that both sides are bein held thats how i do it works well for me

and as for al.... all your coral are belong to me

Last edited by a moderator:

kospaintball

can try the epoxy i guess

bleached ones? you mean you are givin me free live rock!?!?!

its official al is the best he-da-reefa bigal 2026 my vote

Tru2nr

yes you can use epoxy will it work better then a rubber band most likely no...leathers have a slim that they will excrete slump off and this usually happens when you frag them and try to glue the base. You would want to get some extra rock for it though so you can take it to a LFS to sell or so you can easily relocate it in your frag tank, using a rubber band to hold it to a small peice of rubble rock works real good with leathers.

Jess

I just still don't get which part of the leather the rubberband would go around. I'm really feeling like a dunce here :dummy:

You can't use epoxy because leather slime will not let it attach. Just use something to press it onto the rock you want it to attch to and it will attch itself. Most people use string or a rubber band. You don't need glue or anything else because it won't work.