South Florida RSM 250

sneakerhead

Hey guys!
Just got the RSM two days ago and started it up today.
I Put about 60lb live sand and 90-100lb Haitian live rock, got both at a really good price from a friends friend.
Here are some pics of the setup and some pics of the rock, I took some pics of the stuff I found weird on the rock, maybe I am just thinking too much but what do you guys think? and does my protein skimmer look ok? I spent a good hour or so adjusting it
Sorry for the bad quality of pics, they were taken from iPhone, couldn't find a SD card for SLR
Well, I will be updating this thread with pics and updates as I make progress.
IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Thanks for starting a tank thread & sharing your tank with us !
1085.gif

Your rock & rockscape looks great ! Rock watching in a new tank is always fun, looks like you have a diversity of life there, hard to tell what some pics are showing - not close up enough - but I see some sponges (which are fine), sure other members might can id some more, if not the hitchhiker forum here on RS can with closeups

Your on your way cycling - just go slow & let your cycle do it's thing :dance: Your skimmer looks like it's going great ! Congrats on the new beautiful RSM 250 !

imaccat

Hi and welcome to RS,

Congratulations on you new tank, very interesting rock work, looks very alien!!

The skimmer looks like its doing a great job already.

Good luck

sneakerhead

Couple of question for you guys. I was going to buy a kit to check water periodically but didnt get a chance yet, is the API kit good to start up with?
Another thing I wanted to ask you RSM owners is regarding the polishing filter. My water level was at optimal for a good day or more but this morning it was below low, I put the shutter down but it didnt help either and the big pump started pumping bubbles out which I knew was trouble so I lifted the polishing filter up a little to allow in water. I have kept it that way since, the carbon filters are floating on top as well but I did read about that in the manual. Could that be because of the polishing filter or should I put the shutter even more down? Thanks guys!
Hi and welcome to RS,

Congratulations on you new tank, very interesting rock work, looks very alien!!

The skimmer looks like its doing a great job already.

Good luck
Thanks, I got some help with the rocks but I feel like my tank seems overcrowded with rocks
I really like how you set up your sand and I might do the same.
BTW, I love your tank and wish one day I can reach that level as well :bow:

sneakerhead

A little update, bought the API test kit and tested my water. Ammonia seems to be down near 0 but nitrates/nitrites are still on the higher levels.
Aside from that, I added more sand but the left(bigger) pump moves all the sand from the left side so I might have to buy a splitter or whatever it is to alter the flow a little.
I also got the microbacter 7 and started adding that daily, I am keeping the lights off most of the time. Will update with more pics soon

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
API test kits are fine imo & for starting up a new tank will work great

You will need to top off with rodi (not sw) daily about 3/4 of a gallon a day

I would toss in a deli shrimp to get your ammonia going...

aim your left pump nozzle up & to the right to create a surface ripple - the blowing sand will settle in a couple of weeks...

You want to rinse the fine filter several time a day with the new tank, then every couple of days, just take it to the sink and rinse under running warm tap water, shake & replace - it will effect water levels - raising ir up 1 inch, can also help

on the skimmer gate height... this is also key to water levels & skimmer performance... :read: this thread... http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/66778-rsm-250-stock-skimmer-tips.html

Cheers & hope this helps & feel free to ask any questions you have - we all had the same questions at one time & someone here in the RSM Club helped us :dance:

sneakerhead

API test kits are fine imo & for starting up a new tank will work great

You will need to top off with rodi (not sw) daily about 3/4 of a gallon a day

I would toss in a deli shrimp to get your ammonia going...

aim your left pump nozzle up & to the right to create a surface ripple - the blowing sand will settle in a couple of weeks...

You want to rinse the fine filter several time a day with the new tank, then every couple of days, just take it to the sink and rinse under running warm tap water, shake & replace - it will effect water levels - raising ir up 1 inch, can also help

on the skimmer gate height... this is also key to water levels & skimmer performance... :read: this thread... http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/66778-rsm-250-stock-skimmer-tips.html

Cheers & hope this helps & feel free to ask any questions you have - we all had the same questions at one time & someone here in the RSM Club helped us :dance:

I was not aware of adding water daily. I do see a slight decrease in overall water, about 3/4 inch since last Thursday when I put everything in.
Would the tap water kill the bacteria? or it is fine, I used drinking water to clean mine
I also wanted to ask you about adding the shrimp, My ammonia is at 0 today as well but it was on high few days after i started. Should I still add the shrimp for ammonia? If my ammonia level is at 0, does that mean the cycle has not started?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I was not aware of adding water daily.

Evaporation - the salt stays but the water evaporates, I don't have a chiller & run the rear cooling fan 7 x 24 - I top off 5 gallons a week - this is pretty normal for everyone.

Would the tap water kill the bacteria? or it is fine, I used drinking water to clean mine

Your good bacteria is in your LR, with frequent rinsing of the filter very little if any remains or is needed in the sponge - imo - tap water is fine for this, I have always used it & so have many others... just pat or shake to semi dry

I also wanted to ask you about adding the shrimp, My ammonia is at 0 today as well but it was on high few days after i started. Should I still add the shrimp for ammonia? If my ammonia level is at 0, does that mean the cycle has not started?

If you saw it very high for a few days after you started you may be fine... have seen lots of tanks that never did cycle because they didn't have an ammonia source though...

imo - adding one can't hurt, it's just like after the cycle when a fish dies, if you add it & the ammonia does not rise, the LR is handling it. If you had a good ammonia spike at the start... you may be fine though - here a good :read: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...something-cycling-breaking-new-reef-tank.html

sneakerhead

Thanks for replying nanoreefing, I started adding water daily but I still need to find a level to fill it up and keep track.
These were my parameters today, what do you guys think? Am I done cycling? Can I start adding some cleaning crew?
pH: about 8.0
Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0
Tested with API kit

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I fill mine to the 2nd mark from the top of the water level window - when I top off

Have you started water changes yet? If not, strange there are no nitrates

sneakerhead

I have just been adding water like u advised. No water changes thorough.
I was quite shocked to see it as well cause two days ago both nitrate/nitrite were really high.
I accidentally kept the lights on for a little longer than I should have and saw some yellow spots growth on rocks on top that get most light, there were tiny bubbles as well on some spots.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If you saw you ammonia high with the Live rock & for several days, and now at zero, you should be fine, to add cuc & 1st coral, 1st fish. I would start weekly water changes...

sneakerhead

How much water should I change today othe first time? And should I wait a few days after water change to add cuc/coral/fish etc?