Snid's 55 Gallon Chunk O' Ocean Reef

Snid

Love that urchin! Btw...that first top down video should come with an epileptic seizure warning.

LOL! ;)

Yeah... The Urchin is definitely a big star in the house. When people who don't really understand reef tanks first look at the tank they don't always realize that it is alive and moving. But then when it moves its spines or something, they gasp, point, and ask,"What is that thing!" Visitors also get a kick out of the free manicure they can get from the Cleaner Shrimp.

I actually feel bad for the Cleaner Shrimp... He tries so hard to get the attention of the Clowns and the Chalkie, but they all ignore him. He'll brush them gently with his antennae, lean in a little closer, and just about every time he starts to do a cleaning they swim away.

Clint24

Hello Snid. Hope ur enjoyin ur journey! Mine has personally been a battle. I was wondering how ur DIY media reactor turned out & if u have it up & runnin. Well good luck. Have a good day & happy fishin !! :)

CD

Snid

It turned out just fine actually. It is up and running and my GHA growth has slowed to a stop I think. There is still some in there that I haven't manually removed, but I haven't really had any new growth, or at least the CUC is keeping up with it if there is. I imagine that if I took the time to manually remove all that there is, I wouldn't really have any come back at all.

sirrealism

Very nice Snid. I took the time to read everything. I like that you are not freakingout about the GHA. Great thread and i look forward to seeing how this all turns out

710Reefer

Love the videos, I need to start posting and taking more of my tank. Maybe when my new clownfish arrive ill start going crazy lol..

Snid

Yeah... I'm trying to find the time to take some really nice videos and add decent soundtracks to them. ;)

Roy Page

Yeah... I'm trying to find the time to take some really nice videos and add decent soundtracks to them. ;)

Can't beat good photos and video to show folk how our tanks are maturing ....................... and the mistakes we all make ;)

Snid

Captain's Log: August 25th, 2014

Ahoy, Maties! :)

Just a simple little update on how the new reactor I constructed seems to be doing. I used to have about 1/3 of my Sandbed covered with GHA. At this time, I have none down there. There is still some on a couple of the rocks, but it is receding. It seems that the last places to have GHA will be the rocks closest to the lights. I'd say about 80% of my rocks are GHA free now. A little patience and time will get you where you need to go. I should also note that my CUC is operating at about 1/3 of it's recommended total capacity because rather than doing a huge dump like many tend to do, I am gradually building mine up and I may not even need to reach full capacity. Fine by me, because that means less things to die from starving each other out. I also attribute some of this to the efficiency of my Urchin, which I'm guessing does the same amount of work of about 10 full grown Cerith Snails, if I were to guess. And he's much more fun and entertaining to watch. Plus he looks like a part of the reef. Simply beautiful. Kudos to my crew mate wife insisting that we have one, the only thing she wanted added for certain. :)

Choff

Good job on the gha. It can try your patience for sure.

Oh and you inspired me to get an urchin. Not quite as grand as yours, but a cute little tuxedo that is pretty cool. I have tried them before in my dt, but have not lasted too long. My best guess is that when I feed I turn my pumps off and this drains a few inches of water and I often find the hanging out at near the top and this puts them out of the water for a up to 30 min. What I've read is they are susceptible to air bubbles when removed foe the water. That's my guess anyway. This guy is going to reside in my fuge with no water drop. Hopefully he fares better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snid

Thanks, Stuart1962! I'm really trying, and trying to do all my tank's inhabitants justice. ;)

Snid

Anyone seen me around?

Ahoy, Maties!

Just letting you know that I'm still alive and so is all of my crew! I've just been busy with life. I work full-time in an Art Department at a University, and have decided to further my education by taking on a Math class as well. Then, just a couple of weeks in, they asked if I could take over teaching a class in addition to my regular 40+ and the class I'm taking. So I feel like I have two full-time jobs right now. December can't come soon enough! I'm probably averaging about 4-6 hours of sleep a night during the week. ZZZzzzzzZZzzzzzz...zzz..zz......

Huh? What! Where am I? Oh right...

As I was saying. I treasure all of you and this site still, and occasionally pop in and hit some "likes".

Peace be the journey! ;)

Mike Johnson

I, for one, am in the same boat. Love Reef Sanctuary, but, am overwhelmed by life. Going to Eleuthera, Bahamas for two weeks in October for work. They're paying for my wife to go too. It's not a bad life, but one that keeps me from frequenting RS as much as I'd like.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Take care Captian Snid & Mike Johnson too...
Wish I had a good exciting excuse to be busy other than getting my exercise goals reached every week & house work & work-work, LOL!!
I'll look forward to all posts you come back to make!!
Y'all stay with us cause we need Ya ;) .....:cruiser:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'd say a year has past & Captain Snid's log is
long past due an UPDATE. :)
Ahoy Matie, Where are you? :scuba:
How's the tank? :fishy: Hope your boat is still afloat! :titanic: