Snail's pace beginning to an Old Lady's 65g Reef

BarbMazz

Thanks, Chris... thanks for your number, and for convincing me to return that equipment. I've sent off an email, and I'm waiting to hear back.

BarbMazz

Okay, it's been about a year. I guess I should update this chronicle with a few current pictures of inhabitants and FTS's.

Current FTS:

DSC_0209.jpg

Something I'm really proud of; my monster RBTA. It started as a pretty small nem... probably 2-3" across. Now it's about 10" across fully inflated. The clowns I got with a picture that won a GC from Ms Doni Marie right here ( pic was of the RBTA when it was small lol ) just LOVE this nem.

DSC_0004.jpg

and the Picasso Clowns from Ms Doni Marie.

DSC_0036-1.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg

Left side of the tank; and orange monti cap, a nice green, orange-eyed chalice (5" across), some brown/green button polyps, an encrusting montipora, a great pink branching hammer, and blue cloves that seem to want to carpet everything.

DSC_0119.jpg

The pink branching hammer

DSC_0197.jpg

The chalice

DSC_0162.jpg

Right side of the tank; bird's nest and pocilllipora up top in front of the wavebox, small RBTA and turbinaria, another chalice,some duncans, and a frogspawn that's grown from one head to 18 since I got it a year ago!, and a beginning toadstool...a platygra brain, some zoas and more of the blue clove carpet.

DSC_0161.jpg

My fuzzy dwarf lions. First up Big Momma

lionfish2.jpg

The pair, Little Poppa and Big Momma

lionfishtogether.jpg

Royal Gramma, Cher, who lived through a harrowing eye injury. One of my first fish. She's been with me 3 years.

Feb2609_26.jpg

Midas Blenny

Jan1309_48midasblenny.jpg

RIP Bam Bam. Had him for a year. Best fish EVER. He got a tail infection. :closed:

Sept1808_066.jpg

My wennarae mantis

Sept208dtmantis.jpg

Little horned blenny. Little fish with a BIG personality.

DSC_0015.jpg

Flame Hawkfish

DSC_0065.jpg

THANKS FOR LOOKING! :hallo:

goldenmean

Tank looks spectacular Barb.
I didnt realize you had the dwarf lions. They are so cute.
I dont know much about the dwarfs. What do they eat? How do they get along with other fish?

BarbMazz

Tank looks spectacular Barb.
I didnt realize you had the dwarf lions. They are so cute.
I dont know much about the dwarfs. What do they eat? How do they get along with other fish?

Thanks, Jeff. I've had the lions since last summer. They eat frozen PE Mysis, and regular Hikari frozen mysis. I treat them with sw shore shrimp about once a month. They seem to be perfect reef inhabitants. I've had no problems with them bothering other fish. There are several fish that are much smaller than they are, and they've left them alone.

I got the lions from Blue Zoo Aquatics.

BarbMazz

Sweet taNk! I love the mantis... I kinda have a "thing" for them lol

Thank you! My mantis came with my TBS Package...living in the rocks. He does steal snails occasionally, but he leaves the fish alone. It's not a problem to replenish the snails. I feed him a hunk of some goody when I feed the tank; he comes right out front and takes the food right off the tongs in a gentlemanly manner.

BarbMazz

Do you have any kind of shrimp with the fuzzys? Cleaners or anything?

I have a blue banded coral shrimp that NO ONE can bother. I did have some peppermints that I haven't seen in a long time, but I'm not sure I can blame that on the fuzzies.

goldenmean

My LFS had dwarf Lions one of the last time I went in.
Hmmmmm. I wasnt planning on adding any more fish to my tank
but.
Now Im thinking.
Look out!

I can never keep peppermint or cleaner shrimp in my 55 but I think it is because of my mantis.

BarbMazz

There are several different types of dwarf lions. Mine are the fuzzy type. I'm not sure how other dwarf types do in a reef setting.

BarbMazz

I looked the latin name of my fuzzy dwarf lions.
It is dendrochirus brachypterus.

The female is a bit more than 4" and the male about 3" but he is still growing.

GrendelPrime

this has been an amazing journey and i must say it has been a pleasure to follow it, i think its amazing how nervous u were at the start to the reefer u are today, i know i learned alot following along ty for sharing

BarbMazz

jeff I know you'll be careful!

GrendelPrime I am glad you followed along. Now I know just enough to be dangerous!

Astiesi thanks for looking. Good luck with you adventure.