skimmer help

carmexx

I was dead set on selling my under performing ( or i thought )sro1000 skimmer, til tonight! I am gonna give it another whirl after buying this to replace my omega 150.
Here's my setup...
57 gallon DB rimless
2 AI hydra's...36" T5 x 2 supplement
Sicce 3 return pump
RW8 and WP25 flow RKE controlled
A handful of new sps frags
a colony of strawberry shortcake
2 occ clowns/1 bicolor blenny/1 indigo dottyback

So, my bioload i consider light..feed twice a day

Now, my skimmer is goin nuts after i cleaned it AND i checked the pinwheel by removing the cover on the bubble blaster pump. I put it back together and realized when i put it back in the sump the pump was facing the oppostie way!! hmmm...well the damn skimmer is going crazy now...the Entire body is bubbles when before it wasn't. I have the gate valve all the way open and it is dumping foam into the sump like no tomorrow. is it breaking in?? here's some pics.....

Just need a little help or advice. It seems the bubble trap in the sump is working well....no micro bubbles in the dt yet.

sirrealism

what did you use to clean the skimmer with? You say you have the gate open all the way. what happens when you close it all the way. Does it bubble more? For the time being I would put an air valve on the airline to slow the amount of air getting in. The SRO1000 is a really good skimmer and have a hard time believing it under performs on a tank that small. I have the same skimmer and its on a 90 heavy stocked and it does a great job

carmexx

I just wiped it down with water and paper towel. When I close it the cup fills twice as fast. It bubbles more. I did notice that when I place my finger over both silencer holes the air bubbles considerably lessen. What kind of air valve do you suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carmexx

Ok, Little update....
I discovered that when i took of the faceplate of the bubble blaster i clocked it wrong putting it back on so the pump sat lower than the skimmer. I have fixed that issue. Now, i am running the skimmer w/out a needle valve and have the gate valve almost all the way open. It is dumping bubbles out into the sump like crazy. Now I noticed that when i first got the skimmer it didn't fill the ENTIRE body of the skimmer with bubbles/ even under the bubble plate. Now it does hence the reason i'm getting micro bubbles b/c they are getting sucked through the outlet. If you look at the one picture above you can see how low the bubble line is in the body. Am I missing something>??

Frankie

RS STAFF
Bubbles won't hurt anything btw. Reefs are constantly pounded and washed with bubbles in nature.
I actually use to have an air valve on my closed loop to inject air bubbles to simulate this effect on my old 120. The corals loved it. Helped to lift the crap out of the tank.

carmexx

i am looking at some videos of this skimmer in action and think i am doing something wrong...in all the videos the bubble line is above the plate where mine is not. it is deeper in the skimmer.....i have it in about 6" water now and the outlet is half submerged. The bubbles pour out of the outlet in a foamy frenzy covering the entire sump surface.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sounds like you need to pull the skimmer and rebuild it again. you may have put it together wrong.
Check the bubble plate inside, make sure everything is seated properly

carmexx

OK, I am very confused at this point, but the skimmer is now working properly. I have disassembled and reassembled it (pump) roughly 4 times and on the 4th try it decides to operate properly, not that it wasn't before. I did notice an impeller difference in the one i have vs. all the other pics i see on the net for the hy1000s pump.here's a few pics....

my skimmer pump impeller

Theirs....
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5CvtouNtACHU1JsYWJXWmQtaG8/view?usp=sharing