Should I go with the 1500gph overflow or the 700gph overflow??

tjkbeacbhum

I have a 72 gl bow front that I need to get a glassholes overflow. I will have 11 feet of head, and be using a sump/refugium. Im not sure what overflow would work best for my system. Thanks for all your help!!

tjkbeacbhum

I was told that if I use the 700gph I should go with a mag 12 and if I go with the 1500 to use the mag 24. I dont have a pump yet and was just curious what would be my best bet for the overflow. I will get the pump that best works with the overflow that I need. Or vice versa I just dont know what to go with.

tjkbeacbhum

My DT is 72 I dont have my sump but I was thiking about a 55 sump/refugim. So it looks like it will be 127 gallons with that set up. Thanks

Frankie

RS STAFF
Yeah, on a tank that size you will want the smaller overflow so you have more contact time in the refugium. Return water should not be used for flow in this type of setup. It is just to return water from the sump. For flow within the tank use power heads of some type that you like. turnover rate is important in the tank not the sump if you are doing a refugium.
I just got done asking for advice on this same topic on zeovit.com for my paticular system. If you are interested, the thread is is good read. Here's the link: sump turnover rate - zeovit.com
Most of what is talked about can apply to just about any system.

tjkbeacbhum

Thanks, for all your help, I am still a little mixed up. It seems like most people are saying the 700 would be best for my system. Mike from glassholes says to go with the 1500.
It sounds like it is a bit of a debate. I guess with the cost differnce of the smaller pump( and the cost of running the larger pump) and the smaller overflow and one less hole to drill. I will go with the 700. The cost will be less and less chance of breaking the glass.

Ssullivan

i would get the bigger overflow, but use a smaller pump, the extra size and other hole will add some redundancy to the over flow

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Depends on what you want your system to be.

I'm more of a slow rate of flow throught the sump/fuge kind of guy. So I say 700. But if you set it up correctly, could go bigger. Remember though that not all the flow required for the tank has to come from the filtration. Most should be from circulation in tank...

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I would go with the 1500gph overflow for a couple reasons, it's a little bigger of a box for better surface skimming, the added hole will act as a backup if for some reason you ever get a blockage, the price difference is not that great, if you ever decide you want more flow you can just upgrade the pump without worry, if you ever step up to a larger tank you already have the overflow on hand to switch over.

I see no down side to going bigger even if you don't necessarily need it :D