Should I get an auto-top up??

screemer

I've never considered one before but keep seeing people talk about them. How exactly do they work? And what benefits do they have to just topping up a litre or two once a week?

catran

They are just way more convenient. I have 2 tanks and only my RSM runs a chiller. It would be helpful with my skimmer. In order for my skimmer to run properly I would have to adjust it or add water every 3 days or so. It would be nice not to ever worry about it. My other tank has no hood and is chilled by a fan. I go through 5-7 gallons a week and it's a total pain to top it off every day. I was very happy when I added the ATO. I don't have to scoop and add water every day, nice.

IME ATO is one of the best things you can get with the RSM. I personally have the Tunze Osmolator and would recommend it over any other kind. It is a little pricy but you get what you pay for, trust me. I originally had the JBJ and didnt like it. Now my RSM 250 has the fan running 24/7 so I go through about half a gallon a day of top off water. Considering that the skimmer has to have a steady water level to operate properly because it is very finicky without the ATO it would be a pain.

Gav

Would also reduce swings in your salinity and other levels. Havent got one myself yet but a Tunze osmolator is next on my list.

trendy

ato highly recomended... i go through about 4-5 litres of water per day... and i never have to adjust my skimmer or wier settings... it always will run perfectly,

personally i think my ato has been one of the best additions to the setup so far...!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
For those of you running the 130D with an ATO what container are you using for your ATO water and what pump?

jrhaughey

ATO is the best simple thing you can add. On my 60 gallon tank, I use a 5 gallon bucket and a small maxijet pump. Just drill a hole in the lid for the hose and a notch for the cord. Run the hose into the sump, hook up the ATO, and thats it. I go through about 5 gallons a week.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
So how do they work on a 130D exactly??

They work with "Water Level Sensors" which detect a drop/rise in the water level in the rear chambers. Once the "Low Level" is reached the circuit is closed and it powers on your pump of choice and pumps water into the tank. Once the water level hits the "High Level" the pump is turned off. This way you don't need to Top-Off manually all the time.

This is a GREAT "Gizmo" and once you go ATO you wont go back :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I totally agree Glenn. Plus the idea of mounting the sensors with magnets just sounds GREAT to me!