Should I Cut This?

PIMPALA

Whole fish tank when filled with water is very heavy.

Just to be fair... "very heavy" is a relative term. a 48x24x30 cube of concrete... or lead, is "very heavy". Sea water is 64 lbs per cubic foot... a cubic foot of concrete is about 150lbs. lead is over 700. his aquarium is 2,000lbs. if it were filled with concrete, it would weigh over 4,000lbs. have it filled with lead, and now its over 15,000 pounds.

now, from a construction and engineering standpoint, lets put this into perspective. had he filled his aquarium with molten lead, and the completed tank now weighed over 15,000lbs... a basic 2x4 construction stand, 3 feet tall, 4 feet wide, and 2 feet deep, basically a 2x4 box, skinned with 1/2" plywood, NO center braces at ALL. nothing. just a box, it would easily hold the lead aquarium, and MORE.

here is a basic, middle school physics lesson (this one has cross bracing, but he says in the video, even without it, the box will hold 1,000 times its weight).

Ten Thousand to one: Physics Lesson Plan | Funderstanding

so with cross braces, it hold 10,000 times its weight, and about 1,000 times its weight with no cross bracing. lets be "aquarium in the house safe" and instead of 1,000 times the weight, we call it... 200 times. that means, if your stand is built properly, and it weighs 100lbs, it should hold 20,000 lbs.

ChrisY

You forgot something Jason... 1 cubic foot of Osmium is 1,345lbs :) Build the stand out of Osmium and it could hold up the entire state you live in. lol

In all seriousness, that Jason says is true for a static load. Things get more dicey if there are shearing stresses or anything. Not that it invalidates his point, just that you need to consider all the stresses.

Chris

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Ok, we we certainly find out soon enough. My problem is "if it must be built or repaired I'll do it my self thank you" I can't stand crappy anything.

So needless to say after some hours sniffing Weld - On here is the sump build in progress. It's not done done just yet...I'm sure while I'm up tonight the wheels will be further turning on how to make it bigger better faster!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
#3 is like water,fast setting and not good for strength as it dosen't stay open very long to melt the joints