Should I Cut This?

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I'm getting ready to build and stuff the largest sump I can fit under my tank and this center brace is really putting a damper on things.

I bought tank stand from someone and he already took a chunk out of it as you can see.

What I did do before I set up the tank is reinforce each corner and I also lined the left and right inside sides with full coverage from floor to tank support for added piece of mind with 3/4 plywood.

So the more I look and brainstorm on the sump design the more I despise that center brace.

Does anyone have any knowledge on the safety of such evil thoughts?

I did a few quick calculations on the number of pieces that are actually supporting the load. I'm giving the completed tank the benefit of the doubt and rating the total weight at 2000lbs. So I took that number and divided support pieces into it and the rough total for each piece comes to 164lbs each. The stand is made of pine and obviously the sides are full pieces from floor to tank vertically.

SO CUT AWAY?

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm62/MTPOCKETS33/sump.jpg

knapp870

I actually just used a hammed to remove mine, that way it could easily be put back if I wanted. It was simply held in with finishing type nails. Most commercial tank stands are over built, so I think you should be fine. Mine didn't end up to really be supporting any actual weight.

knapp870

Mine was :) I pulled the bottom nails out and then just wacked it pulling the other two out. But, I also supported it with another temporary brace while doing this just in case.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
OK this by no means is a recommendation however when the 220 was filled and the sump failed I popped the center brace from the cheap stand n put in the new oversized sump.

I'm alive. Meaning the wife didn't kill me. It was stressful but no issues. Don't get me wrong I hustled like a madman to nail it back in but it worked.

Scares me even in retrospect thinking about what could've happened. :banghead:

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
OK this by no means is a recommendation however when the 220 was filled and the sump failed I popped the center brace from the cheap stand n put in the new oversized sump.

I'm alive. Meaning the wife didn't kill me. It was stressful but no issues. Don't get me wrong I hustled like a madman to nail it back in but it worked.

Scares me even in retrospect thinking about what could've happened. :banghead:

Sure sounds like a recommendation to me. I'm telling my wife you said go for it.:angel3:

dmatt88

All truth b told the dude don't even groan Or move Or make a noise. However if something goes wrong it goes BAD wrong. I didn't brace it cause the liquid courage had me standing strong.

One shot followed by a shot by a hammer.

dmatt88

This sounds like the start of a Jeff foxworthy joke.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
All truth b told the dude don't even groan Or move Or make a noise. However if something goes wrong it goes BAD wrong. I didn't brace it cause the liquid courage had me standing strong.

One shot followed by a shot by a hammer.

Deeper and deeper yet you dig. So before I even start I'm telling her I need to get hammered to begin hammering.

I love it:apint:

Tru2nr

definitely depends on the stand..it appears to be a commercial AGA stand which if you look should not be actually supporting anything(at least thats how my AGA stand was)

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Id like to see a better picture of the top of the stand, bit concerned it has no cross brace? ps, alcohol may have been used as a pain suppresant in the olden days, it didn't work very well so don't count on it numbing anything but your intellect lol

dmatt88

Sas is right fyi n u don't need to destroy the house for the following.

It just ensures the audience

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Ok here is what the rest of the picture looks like.

This is the the center bottom of the tank showing the center brace catching just the center of the tanks edge. If you look close you will notice a piece of 3/4 plywood attched to the very same piece I want to bust out. Again I added it for stability and now I want them both out.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm62/MTPOCKETS33/DSCF0484.jpg

Now this is the rest of the same center brace but the back of the tank to give you a better angle. Both setups are identical for front and back.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm62/MTPOCKETS33/DSCF0487.jpg

This is just a picture of the corner and again the solid lighter piece is a full piece of 3/4 ply that I added to strengthen the full side and also to ensure that all boards are tightly in their place. The other side is again identical.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm62/MTPOCKETS33/DSCF0486.jpg

This is the left out side view. Each side contains 5 boards including the front and back corner and the front of the tank on the left and right both contain 2 boards including the corner. 14 boards total + 1 back center and 1 front center and lastly 2 that the doors are hinged to for a total of 18. So again I took 2000lbs which is a generous guess and devided it by 18 for 111.11lbs each. HAMMER out the center and that number goes to 118 rounded up. The tank is 48" long and without the center brace in place the span in the center from left to right support board is 29". This sure turned out to be more then I thought it would.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm62/MTPOCKETS33/22288.jpg

dmatt88

Perfecto stand. Yep. If I did it again in drop a support across the front even if its only temporary.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Perfecto stand. Yep. If I did it again in drop a support across the front even if its only temporary.

I would but their is nothint to catch for a support. Every support piece of this piece of junk is the very same one's that you see and they go straight up to just the bottom edge of the tank. The only reason I was able to add the 3/4 on the sides is because the side boards are on a flat so I eas able to stiffen them up. Nothing like that in the front or back. Honstly the front is better supported then the back due to the fact they needed the extra board to hang the doors. The baords in the front that hold that doors are not on the back. The back is just a corner board and the same center brace. I knew I should have just built my own........