Should I Cut This?

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
OK.. then just add a piece of 3/4" plywood cut to the size of the bottom glass on top of the 2x10..you could even cut this in 2 pieces if your needed to to get into the stand if it didn't fit whole.... in tank construction the side glass is glued ontop of the bottom glass.. so as long as you have even support accross the bottom glass you can lift it/support it by that..
.!!!!! When supporting the tank by the bottom glass be SURE!! THE WOOD IS CLEAN.. one small object that wont crush under pressure will shatter the bottom glass....

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Gonna try and complete the sump this weekend. If I get it built, i'll film the cut just in case.

Built347

C'mon guys ..lol its his aquarium. Is there anybody that has this stand that can verify its not load bearing?

Built347

I don't want to sound like a pu$$e but if it falls when your cutting you all know which direction its gonna fall.. we could be Down a member if the worst happened. If it were mine.. considering the risk I would either call the manufacturer and find out for sure or use alternative bracing. It may be fine but a tank breaking in my house would ruin my life for at least a month.lol

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I don't want to sound like a pu$$e but if it falls when your cutting you all know which direction its gonna fall.. we could be Down a member if the worst happened. If it were mine.. considering the risk I would either call the manufacturer and find out for sure or use alternative bracing. It may be fine but a tank breaking in my house would ruin my life for at least a month.lol

Id love to just get by with only a month:)

As far as calling the manufacturer...and dont get me wrong im appretiating all of the input but could you imagine how that conversation would sound? That would certainly deserve to be tapped. Besides, not one single manufacturer would say "oh yea you say the tank is full and all you want to do is start cutting a piece of the stand, sure go ahead we here at abc stand manufacturers have nooo problem with that recommendation sir"!

Built347

I would call and just ask if its load bearing..
you dont need to tell them your life story or anything..
I dont know man.. that would stress me out to the max unless that tank was dam near empty..

I know most factory stands are over built to a certain extent but so are bridges and it just takes just 1 of the right trusses breaking to snowball that thing to the ground.
Maybe i am a pu$$e.. lol..

Funlad3

Kick the front brace and see what happens. If the whole thing doesn't lurch or groan, you're golden. :lol:

ChrisY

Kick the front brace and see what happens. If the whole thing doesn't lurch or groan, you're golden. :lol:

hahaha. lol

If you wanted to get really exotic you could install some strain gauges etc while you begin and see what happens but before I went to that length I would just drain the darn thing, do my mod and then refill. How big of a tank are we talking here? Would temporarily moving stuff to some big rubbermaid tubs work?

dmatt88

Well buddy ya got patience. I couldn't get the sump out so I looked at my buddy n said stand back. Personally based on the corner braces u should b able to temporarily brace it to support the tank. Let's say I'm 95% certain the front brace doesn't support.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

Built347

just an idea pertaining to the stain guage...if you have a scale (like the ones you stand on) you could wedge a 2x4 or piece of pvc between it and the top brace... then just watch it when you cut..
if for some reason you absolutely cant drain out a bunch of water.. I still think that would be the safest way.

ChrisY

Well buddy ya got patience. I couldn't get the sump out so I looked at my buddy n said stand back. Personally based on the corner braces u should b able to temporarily brace it to support the tank. Let's say I'm 95% certain the front brace doesn't support.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

"Cover me!!! I am goin in!!" lol

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
It's a 150 gallon. The best part of this, is I really don't want it in my way forever so I'm thinking it is going to become kindling for my wood stove:)

PIMPALA

While you are cutting it, make a cut 1/2 way, remove the blade. Cut from the other side. Leave 1/8-1/4" in the middle. Remove the blade. Cut the rest slowly. Remove the blade. I'd be willing to bet all the money in your wallet, that it has zero load bearing on that piece. You will know once you cut the last little bit. The thickness of the saw will only remove 1/8" of wood. If the stand bows and that gap closes when u remove the blade, it won't come crashing down. It will just move the width of the blade, and re-close that gap.

landshark

I am not a structural engineer by any mean but, what are the dimensions of the tank? Is it a 48 x 30 x 25 or 60 x 24 x 25, depending on what the dimension are the stand will be built to accommodate the load. Let say the stand is built with 2x4 then the load would be on the 4 corner post if there was no center braces, with center braces then it is distributed to the 4 corner post and the two center braces. If length wise they use 2x6 the that would change the equation because 2x6 can carry more weight then a 2x4.

Jerry

Although it's pretty hard to imagine what it would be like, I just wouldn't compromise the safety of the top display tank if I were you. Whole fish tank when filled with water is very heavy.