September Coral of the Month: Tubastrea

Frankie

RS STAFF
I am glad everyone is getting into these wonderful corals. I agree with boomer that if you are doing good with this coral just keep doing what your doing.
I myself am happy for the way i care for them. Because i would not want a coral that needed to be individually fed all the time. I have enough things to do. And i was worried i gave the wrong info aquaman, thats why i waited for boomer to respond. I would hate for people to think my way is the right way. Most things i do with this hobby is trial and error. I do bend the rules a lot i admit.
I do suggest everyone following the links in Boomers sig. They have lead me to some vast information all over the net.

caitrina

For those interested in the blacks I read that there is a slug that feeds exclusively on the Black Sun Coral. The slug acquires the black color which makes it hard to find the slug so one should regularly check the sun for this slug. Don't know what it looks like, I haven't looked that up yet, but the name of the slug is Phestilla melanobrachia.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
No vd that should not be an issue. But I would not try to up them in the brightest spot in the tank :) Under the right conditions and care these corals can grow at the same rates as sps or even faster

Frankie

RS STAFF
I keep mine high up in the reef but the light they get is filtered through a thin walled Monti cap. Also the current rushes around them. I use the Suns to help shape the Monti by directing the flow with them under it.

GeeWizzItsMe

The beautiful open sun coral that was at my favorite LFS was taken! They diddn't have any other ones! Guess I will have to wait a few more weeks...

aquaman3680

I must confess that I purchased one because of this thread! I must say they are beautiful! Mine has yet to fully open up because it was more of a rescue mission than anything. But he is eating and becoming more open every day! For now i am feeding it every day with the taking out of tank and placing in a container method! Seems to be working pretty good!

Matt

GeeWizzItsMe

Cool Matt! I am also inspired to buy one because if this thread! If you read my last post it says I actually tried to buy one today! Pics of yours please and good luck!

Frankie

RS STAFF
I am bumping this thread because i have learned so much from it about a coral I love to keep. Maybe we can share pictures of them also. I will try try to get some new good pictures tonight just after lights out.

Anselth

I'm seriously considering getting one of these corals thanks to this thread. Lots of good information from everyone. I look forward to future COTM threads.

forestal

great thread with awesome pics and info... I have a yellow, growing well, and am looking to get a second one so they will maybe breed... i have seen others with this happen...

? for those of you with experience... I tried my hand at a black sun coral that was in the lfs looking poorly, got it to come out after a couple weeks and weakly feed but it ended up dying... i am thinking it was just too stressed by the time i got it... harder to care for? or just bad luck on my part

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Borneman wrote in his Coral book that the blacks are "...a poor prospect for most aquarists." That doesn't mean that it can't be done though. The one I got is very healthy and doing well. I've only had it a little over a week though!:lol:

VDituri has one too. How long have you had it Victor?

vdituri

I've had mine for about 8 months now and seems to be doing great.
has added a couple of new polyps. It was in superb condition when I got it.
It makes a big difference.
The yellow I bought was in ill health when I got it, but I was less educated then. I'm trying to bring it back and it seems to be responding slowly.
I take it out and put in a bowl so I can concentrate the food for just it and I let it feed for about 15-20 mins swirling the food around every once in a while. I'm going to try the 2 liter plastic bottle cover idea so I don't keep taking it in and out of the tank. But it is on the road to recovery.

hma

My Tubastrea faulkneri! Their polyps are during the day open. I trained very slowly with it, feed it with Artemia and Mysis.

Tubastrea%20faulkneri.jpg

Halichoeres%20chrysus%20-%20Tubastrea%20faulkneri.jpg

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Wow it looks spectacular Heinz !
How do you target feed them, with a turkey baster or by hand ?
Anyone feeding theirs with cyclop-eeze or is it too small ?

caitrina

Wow it looks spectacular Heinz !
How do you target feed them, with a turkey baster or by hand ?
Anyone feeding theirs with cyclop-eeze or is it too small ?

Mine gets a little bit of everything...I mostly target feed wtih mysis and other times I will target feed with live brine...when I feed with cyclop-eeze I see pieces of it on its polyps..as far as feeding them with just this I don't think I would because it is so small and I think would leave them hungry. So far mine have eaten everything I have introduced to them, including small pellet foods that have fallen on their polyps and other things that were blown onto them by the flow of water. I have done a mixture of cyclopz and mysis which I target fed, in fact I pretty much mix up lots of things and give them.