September Coral of the Month: Tubastrea

hma

I feed with a very long turkey baster. I give approx. 1/2 hour before each feeding little Ultramarin S (1-2 drops) to the aquarium, then she opens her polyps and I feeds. I already fed Cyclop Eeze and other fodder for SPS/LPS, sometimes I mix it also like Catrina.
Unfortunately already my shrimps saw, they now often steal the fodder from the opened polyps. One must feed thus always somewhat more.

GeeWizzItsMe

Whenever I get mine (sometime in the next two months once tests are perfect), I would LOVE to use the soda bottle trick. It sounds great because you don't have to turn the powerheads off, you don't have to worry about other inhabitants stealing the food, and you don't have to take the whole thing out of the tank! Great Advice Caitrina!

Question about tubastrea: Have they ever been fragged, and if so how is that done?

forestal

easy to frag, take a wood chisel and hammer or use dremel to cut the rock and sharp exacto/scalpel to cleanly slice the tissue

i often just drop on the floor and instant frags :D

vdituri

easy to frag, take a wood chisel and hammer or use dremel to cut the rock and sharp exacto/scalpel to cleanly slice the tissue

I'll have to try the drop kick method. lol

p.s. - I feed mine with a turkey baster. They seem to eat just about anything.

GeeWizzItsMe

THEY HAD THE PRETTIEST ONE AT MY LFS!!! It was $50 so I didn't want to waste that by killing it with my 20 nitrates... I hope they don't sell it anytime soon! It was almost open in the middle of the day and was like orange AND yellow! It was also very healthy looking and in a nano. It was kinda big for me, but SO beautiful! Just wanted to tell that story..

forestal

ya, not as a preferred way mind you, but it works

I like to cut between the polyps with a sharp razor blade/scalpel and then use a hammer and chisel to break apart...
or u can use a wet tile saw and cut up, similar to fragging other lps

GeeWizzItsMe

Okay! Here are pics of mine to add to the list! PS if any photo contest sponsors are reading this, they should do tubastrea contests!

fragsunny2.jpg

sunnyside2.jpg

fullsunny.jpg

I've only had them for two days, so I guess that is why they aren't opening all the way.

caitrina

Are you serious? Dropping it on the floor? Isn't that like dropping a baby on the floor and its poor little head cracking open? Man the things we do to these poor creatures without any anesthesia!!!!:bugout: :bouncebox

Ouch whats worse is that smile:D...:lol:

caitrina

Okay! Here are pics of mine to add to the list! PS if any photo contest sponsors are reading this, they should do tubastrea contests!

I've only had them for two days, so I guess that is why they aren't opening all the way.

Have they opened up yet ? All the way? Mine, took a few days too before they opened up all the way...they will though....Very pretty sun.

Fish Crazy

Very Nice Sun Coral. I feed mine each day with mysis shrimp. A few weeks ago I started adding Arcti Pods and Roti Feast by Reef Nutrition and mine is going crazy growing and being open more.

Intranick

Does anybody else find it funny that one of the few corals that doesn't use photosynthesis is called a sun coral?

hma

I find that more than short-sighted. Only because you know few and also few kinds are sold. Were you already once dip in the Atlantic or Pacific between 25 and 50 meters (82 - 164ft) ? There arrives as well as no more sunlight, it gives however in many places beautiful azooxanthelle Corals. There is straight 5% of the oceans investigated, already therefore I would not ask.

I know that your question was not “so seriously meant”.