Seeking Guidance, Information & Patience - New Red Sea Max 130D Owner

Soupylou

Hey Thanks for the lovely messages.

TMC is 2 minute walk from my house haha - They officially only supply trade but did say he be willing to let me order few fish off him. He didn't allow me to take look inside the huge green warehouse where they keep the fish.

magicmann

Lucy

TMC import most of the coral and fish for the whole of the UK. If they will supply you with coral and fish you're laughing

Soupylou

Hey Guys,

Awesome News - My new tank arrived today and i am at the last base. I have my hood at the 45 degree angle - I have attached the pins into the hood and now for the life of me i can't work out how to shut the hood lol

Ive even asked for my pops to come and take a look and we both looking stupid.

I can put the hood fully up or at 35 degree angle but unable to work out how to shut it.

Is there a video anywhere? *blushes*

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sounds like the "hinge catch" (used to work on it and keep the hood 1/2 open... ) has snapped in place - assuming it was assembled right ;)

If this is the case... 1/2 up the hinges... there is a little tab you "un-engage" it is a bit of a "snap" to snap/unsnap bit hard to describe, hope this helps ... see what others think & can add...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You can see them here... right in the middle

RSM250%20Hood%20support.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If this does not sort... might make sure you don't have the left on the right & Vice-versa or they go on inside & outside... the tank... :where they attach with the pins" , if I remember right... and may need to be moved... to the other... if this makes any since... recalling years ago when I assembled mine

Soupylou

Whoop I did it with snap action - its pretty stiff.

Question - With regards to the Red Sea Max Skimmer - where does the hose with the valve bit go?

Soupylou

avydu2a3.jpg

Here's the new Baby - next time I have to build anything ...I'm going to call in a man and not struggle myself lol

Thank you for the postman who helped me lift it in and thank you for the milkman who watched.

Spikewire

Hey welcome Soupylou! + a million ^ to all the advice posted here. You're definitely in the right place as all the folks here are very cool, very helpful, and very knowledgeable. I found this forum when I started my 130d (first SW tank) and I wouldn't have wanted to go without it.

Since a lot of advice so far is on getting started I'll give you my advice on the best equipment upgrade I've made. I'm not sure we can post links in here but lookup a company called inTank. It was started by one of our members (StevieT) years back who owned a 130 and wanted some better equipment. I bought the media rack and the Tunze 9002 skimmer and have been thrilled with them for years. In the rack I (and lots of folks here) run the blue and white filter floss in the top chamber, Purigen in the middle chamber, and Chemipure Elite in the bottom chamber. All of that I believe is on inTanks site and I'm pretty sure he's been shipping internationally for years now.

There are many ways to do things but this setup has been really successful for me and lots of folks here as well. Good luck and I look forward to see your progress!

Soupylou

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback :)

I will be modding my tank to get the best outcome.

My mum visited this morning and asked why I had a fridge in my study - bless her cotton socks!

However a new day and another parcel has arrived, (I'm on first term names with the postman hence why he offered his muscles to me yesterday.

Today, this bit of kit arrived for the water changes:

amasepy8.jpg

Automatic Water changer to help with no lugging of buckets and random water spoils.

Anyone got one of these? The feedback meant to be very positive and Gordon is lovely. (Guy who designed these units)

I have also ordered and awaiting on my RO unit. Once this has arrived and fitted, I can order my live rock.

Oh and at some point today, I shall order the Red Sea Max starter kit later today which includes the Coral Reef Salt and test kits - I already own API master kit for my tropical tank. Erm, I've also picked up disposal vials to use for my testing as reusing the same test tubes can impact on the results.