sea hare care

jski711

Well i have been having a major algae issue in my tank and was wondering if anyone has had long term success with these guys. thanks for any info.

Jake

BEELZEBOB

they work.

they also get sucked into intakes and chopped up like a salad every chance they get.

BOBS TIP!:

harvest some of your old lady's nylons and cover all intakes and power heads!

jski711

the tank i have him in has no powerheads so im good on that. how much algae do these guys have to eat to stay alive? thanks,

Jake

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
They eat a LOT! Honestly it looks like a lawn mower has gone through the middle of my algae patch. I've had several and love them.

Witfull

this is a best recycled critter. ive known atleast 2 that have been in 5+tanks. thay eat and eat til nothing left,,,then moved to the next green harvest. if you get one, get involved with others local that may need its services.....treat it like a lawn service, he mows your yard every other week and goes to the next customer~

jnohs

yah they work great but need a lot of food. and will foid there way into anything. i had one go in an out take pipe.

recole

are there specific breeds of seahare that eat the hair algea? And how big do you buy. I have seen them 8" to 1' long.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've been lucky that all of the one's I've had LOVE HA! I've gotten them from less than 3" to maybe 6" locally. They are bulldozers and just bully their way through stuff so the larger ones may knock over things and PO some zoas etc.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
My lettuce nudis would never even touch my Bryopsis, even if I put them right on it. I guess they didn't read the book on their behavior LOL! :)

Anselth

Ours have also eaten nori, so if you find yourself getting attached to a sea hare, and you start running out of food, try rubber banding some nori to a rock. if your sea hare eats it, you'll be able to sustain it this way. If not, pass it on to another person with HA.

Snakeman

I've never had one live more than a week. It works, and my tank is in great shape, I just don't know what I am doing wrong. Will supplemental algae work? I still had HA in the tank, and my last one just croaked. Maybe they can't always find the HA? How well do they sense the presence of the algae?

Snakeman

I've never had one live more than a week. The sea hare works, and my tank is in great shape, I just don't know what I am doing wrong. Will supplemental algae work? I still have some HA in the tank, (I would think enough!), and my last one just croaked. Maybe they can't always find the HA? How well do they sense the presence of the algae?

Anselth

I'm sure part of it depends on the size of your tank, but the ones we had never had issues finding the algae. Also, we would supplementally feed it with nori rubberbanded to a rock, and whenever we dropped it in, the hare would stop napping and zoom right over to it.